Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes "Blue Wonder" Transporter: 1/28/14 "Outside" photos posted

Seems to me it was used by Mercedes as a fast way to transport race cars around Europe in the event of a breakdown at a race.

I will enjoy this one for sure!

Yes, this transporter could run over 100 MPH with a car on it's back, faster than many sports cars could do then.

And so will I.

John - your mockups look better than my models! LOL

I can't wait to see how you're going to do the plaid upholstery.

Someone that knows what they are doing could simply copy the pattern on the door panel and expand it to a bigger picture and then print it on cloth. I did this with the cloth seat out of the Mercedes W196R diecast. I taped a small piece of white fabric to a piece of paper and ran it through an inkjet printer. Here is an example of my playing around with printing on fabric. It is a little light but I have no idea of what I am doing. I also have the fabric behind this that is close in size.

post-8648-0-66315300-1385942374_thumb.jp

post-8648-0-99576000-1385942781_thumb.jp

Edited by Greg Wann

To keep it low and weight distribution, this was a purpose built race car hauler designed to be fast.

I'm not seeing how putting the front wheels behind the passenger compartment instead of in front makes it any lower. But I assume the Mercedes guys knew what they were doing. :D

This is the correct Mercedes blue racing plaid that I recreated in Quark XPress. Prints out very nicely on inkjet fabric. On Gullwing seats, correct scale will be 13 stripes across the seat back. Depending on your printer, you may want to print the darker blue a hair lighter.

Mercedesracingplaid.png

Edited by sjordan2

This is the correct Mercedes blue racing plaid that I recreated in Quark XPress. Prints out very nicely on inkjet fabric. On Gullwing seats, correct scale will be 13 stripes across the seat back. Depending on your printer, you may want to print the darker blue a hair lighter.

Mercedesracingplaid.png

Here ya go, John! All you gotta do is get some inkjet fabric and print this image

Mercedesracingplaid.png

Skip……..thats pretty cool …….thank you :)