Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes "Blue Wonder" Transporter: 1/28/14 "Outside" photos posted

Hold on a minute - there's fabric that you can print on with an inkjet printer? Is it a special printer or just any inkjet?

You can get inkjet printer fabric at most hobby/crafts stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby (or was it AC Moore? Or Joann? One of them). I have a regular HP Photosmart Express printer. I would recommend letting the ink dry, then hit it with fixative. It prints out nicely at 1/12 and 1/16 -- I haven't tried it at smaller scales.

http://lesliesartandsew.blogspot.com/2013/02/inkjet-printing-on-fabric.html

Also available in silk. Just Google around for inkjet fabrics.

Edited by sjordan2

CORRECTION: Correct scale is ten alternating stripes horizontally, 13 stripes vertically on the seat back insert.

EDIT: The red plaid I posted in this space is all wrong for the #722 SLR kit you appear to be building (the Stirling Moss car that's in the Mercedes museum/Classic Center). I'll have to look into that.

Edited by sjordan2

This may be a slightly better blue plaid. (PS: don't use plaid on the 300 SL roadster -- It was only used on the Gullwing and other race cars. The roadster has pleated leather seats, and the Gullwing plaid was never used on pleated seats. The seats in the Transporter cab are from the Gullwing.)

Picture2-9.png

Edited by sjordan2

This is just so cool. Not only the build itself, but the info on inkjet-printable fabric, the patterns, and just the whole deal of people pitching in to help each other. Some days, this hobby restores a little of my faith in humanity.

Amen.

This is such a b!tc#in' project! So glad to see Greg and John tackling it. And, when it is finally done, they can post this view:

mercedes-benz_rennwagen-schnelltransport

Ze ende!

I see you plan to put the Stirling Moss SLR on the bed of the truck. Here's the only picture I could find of that set-up. Both vehicles have the same plaid seat material. Looks like John has everything figured out, but for those who would like a little more detail, the truck's engine is pretty much the same as a production 300 SL Gullwing or roadster (so there's only one valve cover ;) ), and sits directly behind the cab. The cab's rear window shape looks odd, but it's designed to accommodate the nose of the car it's carrying.

Picture32_zps1f77a564.png

Edited by sjordan2

Hello…….thank you all for your interest with this build…….and thank you very much for the kind comments……..I finished the mock-up for the interior…….I scratch built a few more pieces…….I also hinged the doors and the engine hatch…….I will start mock -up on the chassis tomorrow…….thanks for looking.

DSCF8692_zps98d3e385.jpg

DSCF8688_zps843ec902.jpg

DSCF8687_zps9e4745f1.jpg

DSCF8685_zps4a68a2fe.jpg

DSCF8683_zps6feaa0f1.jpg

DSCF8680_zpsd0d0f15a.jpg

DSCF8679_zpsbe9e9f4e.jpg

I don't know what happened to my latest post, but I said the following:

Awesome, as expected from you John. I don't know what your finishing plans include, but one area of accuracy that would be greatly enhanced is adding the 300 SL roadster horn ring to the steering wheel. Just my 2 cents before the build gets too far along for modifications. You said you didn't have a lot of reference, and I'm happy to pipe in with answers to any questions you may have. The truck includes many Gullwing parts (tallights, trim, headlights, carpet, etc.), which is my specialty.

I don't know what happened to my latest post, but I said the following:

Awesome, as expected from you John. I don't know what your finishing plans include, but one area of accuracy that would be greatly enhanced is adding the 300 SL roadster horn ring to the steering wheel. Just my 2 cents before the build gets too far along for modifications. You said you didn't have a lot of reference, and I'm happy to pipe in with answers to any questions you may have. The truck includes many Gullwing parts (tallights, trim, headlights, carpet, etc.), which is my specialty.

Hi Skip……yes,I have the horn ring…….it is chrome…... I did not want to attach it to the mock-up …….I will add it when I do all the fine detail…….thank you so much for your input really appreciated. :)

Hello…….I started a mock-up on the rear end …….I modified the axle…….I made an exhaust pipe and rear splash pan…….I will also make some shocks and coils…….I also did some work on the rear end of the body……I modified a bumper to fit and modified some tail lights to resemble the 1:1 taillights……..I also made a gas filler…….I will work on the front end tomorrow……thanks for looking.

DSCF8702_zpsdd823cc8.jpg

DSCF8705_zps23c957ec.jpg

DSCF8706_zps0c13f37d.jpg

DSCF8708_zps4818f1fa.jpg

John if I may make a suggestion before you get too far along. Not sure if it the difference in picture positions but it looks like your steering column is a few degrees too vertical. It's very noticeable once you installed the tachometer. It would be very hard see while seated in the drivers seat.

rennabteilung3_zpsc3133ea7.jpg

DSCF8670_zpsb6b34c64.jpg

DSCF8688_zps843ec902.jpg

John if I may make a suggestion before you get too far along. Not sure if it the difference in picture positions but it looks like your steering column is a few degrees too vertical. It's very noticeable once you installed the tachometer. It would be very hard see while seated in the drivers seat.

rennabteilung3_zpsc3133ea7.jpg

DSCF8670_zpsb6b34c64.jpg

DSCF8688_zps843ec902.jpg

Wade……thank you for your observation……..I still need to add a bracket to the steering column ……..thanks :)

Hey my Big Brother... its great seeing you back at the workbench. I kept hoping to see something pop up in the "on the workbench" section and guess I was looking in the wrong place....lol. This is coming along very nicely so far. you are going to have this thing built and painted before I finish the engine on my funny car... :lol:. I am looking forward to more updates on this. Going to be another great build of yours.