Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paul Walker R.I.P.

randx0

Another news article in today's newspaper about Paul Walker's death. But rest assured Fast & Furious fans that the "show" will go on as they already have started on #7 to be released in July of next year, and there's money to be made. Who will replace Paul Walker? I have no idea, but someone will, and you can take that to the bank.

Neil Patrick Harris aka Doogie Howser aka Barney Stinson. He's a shoe-in.

Neil Patrick Harris aka Doogie Howser aka Barney Stinson. He's a shoe-in.

Wut? :huh: Does he even have a car? Last car I saw him in was when he took Harold and Kumar's Camry, Accord, or whatever on a joyride. :blink: My guess is, since Tyrese played Brian's childhood friend, he will end up stepping up to the plate. But I prefer not to worry about that right now. I'm just a car guy wandering what happened to two other car guys. I'll worry about the continuation of F&F secondarily.

Edited by Skydime

Another article I read reported that there were tire skid marks in figure 8 and donut patterns police could confirm that they were from the Porsche

Oh I'm pretty sure they did a couple things to show off considering it was in a business park and it was probably closed on a Saturday. But I haven't noticed anything that would contradict the elimination of racing causing the incident. Being a professional driver and all, you would thing Rodas would do a couple burnouts and donuts but, be cautious in an area he may not be familiar with. They certainly wouldn't be imitating the F&F scene that introduced Brian O'Connor and his green Eclipse outside the closed stadium or anything.

Oh I'm pretty sure they did a couple things to show off considering it was in a business park and it was probably closed on a Saturday. But I haven't noticed anything that would contradict the elimination of racing causing the incident. Being a professional driver and all, you would thing Rodas would do a couple burnouts and donuts but, be cautious in an area he may not be familiar with. They certainly wouldn't be imitating the F&F scene that introduced Brian O'Connor and his green Eclipse outside the closed stadium or anything.

Exactly I would think that Rodas would be Focused more on the driving, if he would have been doing that type of stunt driving. But thats just what was read, it kind of fits with the Joyride aspect, and I feel it would be a little far fetched to think that you could lose control on such a basic maneuver, Rodas probably learned figure 8's on day one of professional race car driver school. It would be good if there was security camera footage to show exactly what transpired. Just to help end the Speculation.

Edited by my80malibu

Curiousity got the better of me, so I went digging on Youtube.

Considering this "Stig" was still Ben Collins, he has a huge amount of racing in several different series in a number of different styles of vehicles beside doing the Top Gear Power Laps, the one he drove was giving him problems. There's something I've been seeing is that the power steering went out, wjat that resulted in, I don't know, having had power steering go away on a car that weighed less and had a whole lot less tire, I can't imagine what it has to be like in those cars.

Edited by Joe Handley

Actually, after I left the forum last night, my wife informed me that there was information released that indicated straight skid marks into the pole and a trail of power steering fluid. If Roger had been able to steer the car, then obviously the skid marks would swerve away from the pole. Also, a source "close to AE" says the car had continuous power steering issues. It was rarely driven but, often leaked on the shop floor. Another report indicates there was a bang seconds before the bang of the impact. But, of coarse, this is not the full and official story as of yet.

Edited by Skydime

Full and official story? I like that. LOL! What is said in the newspapers and on the new channels is ONLY what they want you to know. If you think that you're getting the "official" story, think again.

I mean the one that is released as an "official" statement by the LA County Sheriff's office. We all know we don't always get all the information as we should and it would be nieve to think we ever will. ;)

I mean the one that is released as an "official" statement by the LA County Sheriff's office. We all know we don't always get all the information as we should and it would be nieve to think we ever will. ;)

Ken there is in my opinion nothing to hide. We should get a full story but with the car being in such ruin there may never be a sure cause. l wonder if it had nitrous on it.? Maybe he hit the nitrous and cased the wreck or fire. Those super cars are so complex. It is so sad to go out like this. l am reading your posts to see what you may have found out...

Carl, I agree whole heartedly that there should be nothing to hide. Unfortunately, with the way things go, sometimes facts get twisted into untruths and we, the public, get a watered down or rehashed truth. Don't really wanna go far beyond saying that cause I don't want to get into the gray area between general discussion and politics. But, I am truely beginning to think that, even if speed was involved, it wasn't the deciding factor in their death. I am really starting to think the nature of Carerra GTs and the condition of this one in particular was a factor. After six owners in eight years and a possible bad power steering pump or whatever has been mentioned, there has to be some reason this car never found a real "home".

For some reason, I keep thinking of James Dean and his Porsche Spyder in relation to this wreck. Ken, I too have wonder about this car, 6 owners in 8 years and what sounds like well under 5k on the clock (I put similar mileage on my Jeep last winter alone), and then to find out it that these cars are difficult for even more experienced drivers (like Stig #2) to control and that this car had separate issues of it's own...............

Kinda waiting for Barris to say he told Walker that this was a "bad" car like he says he warned Dean of on that Spyder.

... indicated straight skid marks into the pole and a trail of power steering fluid. If Roger had been able to steer the car, then obviously the skid marks would swerve away from the pole....

Well, see...not necessarily. When brakes are locked-up, like if the ABS was malfunctioning OR dis-engaged, locked wheels DON'T steer. The car slides straight on the course it was established on when the brakes locked up. Steering does not return until the brakes unlock, and the wheels begin to turn again.

Of course, a trained professional driver should know immediately to take his foot off of the brake to unlock the wheels and regain steering control...assuming the brakes WOULD release. I don't know all the possible failure modes of the systems on this particular vehicle...obviously it's so rare and expensive I've never even seen a real one...but an ABS failure coupled with a steering failure is surely conceivable in a vehicle that's supposedly been plagued with problems.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm still surprised that any yahoo can rent a Viper or similar hot car on the strip, regardless of whether or not he knows how to handle one.

...Or buy one.

When ABS first hit the market on top line vehicles, I witnessed several destroyed by untrained owners who thought you could go into any turn way too hot, and the ABS would save you. Nope.

Well, see...not necessarily. When brakes are locked-up, like if the ABS was malfunctioning OR dis-engaged, locked wheels DON'T steer. The car slides straight on the course it was established on when the brakes locked up. Steering does not return until the brakes unlock, and the wheels begin to turn again.

Bill, I think you and I are barking up the same tree...only you are on the way up a little faster. I hadn't thought of the locked steering with locked wheels factor. But still yet, as you said, a professional driver should have had the presence to lift off the brakes and regain steering UNLESS the brakes were stuck and he couldn't. Locked brakes, failed steering, or both could have played roles.

That's an interesting question. I have not heard whether there have been clear videos released. You would think, being in a business park, the cameras would be running everywhere. On holding the autopsy information, I am sure they are busy either using the data to help sort out what happened or they are deciding just what to let the public know and getting their collaborative stories straight.