Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1956 Chrysler New Yorker St Regis mild custom

geetee66

I think this was a re-issue of a 1959 kit and it sure showed its age. I've never seen so much flash or so many sink-holes. Every panel needed filling, all four tyres had huge craters in the sidewalls.

I must admit, this was a real challenge to complete. I had to use clamps and epoxy to get the chassis onto the floorpan and do a lot of brutal trimming to get the interior to fit.

I used acetate for the windows, the rear being slightly tinted. i hand painted the whitewalls and scratchbuilt the alternator and oil filler tube.

I nearly gave up and it made me question my ability as a model-builder, but here it is.......

Done!!

162_zpsf9284b5c.jpg

161_zpsab198b69.jpg

152_zps06b2f965.jpg

154_zpse30fc301.jpg

thanks for looking

Who made the kit Guy? You did a very nice job saving it as it sounds like it was a bear.

This is it, in a re-pop of the original box art. I think it came out in the '90's. I got it on eBay for about £10.00

176_zps957fd9b5.jpg

I think the scale is 1/32. It measures out at 6" (15cm) long.

All of the parts seemed to be there, except the continental kit. The spare wheel was there but not the extended bumper.

If you get this kit, you might be lucky, but be prepared for a tough time. The body comprises of about 8 pieces and most of them are warped!

It made me appreciate modern kits all the more..!

Very nice job!!!

I have a perverse fondness for this series and have the 56 Ford and Cadillac reissues. (I also won an auction for the 56 Buick today). I haven't built one yet but it's obvious from looking inside the box that it would take real talent to get them looking as nice as your Chrysler.

Edited by peekay

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

Here's a shot of the engine. It's pretty basic by modern standards and it's smaller than I'm used to building, but I couldn't resist turning an alternator on my little lathe. i also added the oil tube, rad hose and used fine wire for the drive belts.

172_zpscdf7c5e7.jpg