Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Reference Pics & Info

Why does the roof of this car remind me of my Grand mother's cupboards?

I'm probably alone in this but I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top. Being 10, and an honest, outspoken child, I hurt my cousin's feelings by telling her that it was hideous. My opinion hasn't changed.

I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top.

Not to say that it's not possible , but I've never seen nor heard of Dodge continuing their "Floral Pattern" for 1970 . Who knows ? Anything's possible !

First time I can remember seeing a Mod Top was in ca.1972 or so (when I was 2 years old) . The car was a 1970 Barracuda . I'd see it frequently at the local mall , in the parking lot by Hinshaw's .

I'd asked my mother , "Why did someone put wallpaper on their car ?".

I'd not seen the Dodge "Floral Top" until sometime in the 90's ...

... at a self-serve salvage yard , on a '69 Dart :( . I saw remnents of it wedged in the driptrough moulding and thought , "What the heck is this ?!?".

I've long preferred the Dodge pattern , as it looks more like a Peter Max illustration .

I built a Meyers Manx dune buggy back in 1970, and floral pattern tops were right in the Meyers parts catalog, so it was just part of the times. As far as a 2 and 10 year old saying that they looked bad? Well, it was a child who had the guts to say the Emperior had no clothes.

Ha ha ha ! I never said that the Mod Top / Floral Pattern looked bad !

Perhaps my choice of words implied that I believed it to be odd ; but I truly LOVE these tops !

I was the one whom suggested that Revell add a Mod Top decal to the sheet of this kit :)

I'm probably alone in this but I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top. Being 10, and an honest, outspoken child, I hurt my cousin's feelings by telling her that it was hideous. My opinion hasn't changed.

You are not alone. I think they're awful too.

You are not alone. I think they're awful too.

Yeah, not my thing...kind of one of those 'you had to be there' things, like the fashion of that era. I do like Mopars of that era w/ regular vinyl tops, which they seemed to have a lot of.. I wouldn't mind doing a Cuda in a period color scheme w/ a regular vinyl top.

Not to say that it's not possible , but I've never seen nor heard of Dodge continuing their "Floral Pattern" for 1970 . Who knows ? Anything's possible !

First time I can remember seeing a Mod Top was in ca.1972 or so (when I was 2 years old) . The car was a 1970 Barracuda . I'd see it frequently at the local mall , in the parking lot by Hinshaw's .

I'd asked my mother , "Why did someone put wallpaper on their car ?".

I'd not seen the Dodge "Floral Top" until sometime in the 90's ...

... at a self-serve salvage yard , on a '69 Dart :( . I saw remnents of it wedged in the driptrough moulding and thought , "What the heck is this ?!?".

I've long preferred the Dodge pattern , as it looks more like a Peter Max illustration .

OK, as far as getting the dates exactly correct, we moved from that neighborhood before I was in 8th grade (would have been 1972), cousin had the Mopar when we moved, I may have been 9, maybe 10, maybe 11; hard to remember 42 years ago with any clarity especially since I wasn't really much into cars (that was a few years down the road). All I remember is it was a kinda green car with a totally ugly multi-colored vinyl top. It took the place of a blue 1959-60 Chevy Convertible. I thought the convertible was much cooler! :)

• 1 month later...

I've read all the coments on this Cuda kit and not one person has said anything about the proportions of the front fenders, From the center body line to the top of the fender, it appears too wide. Like the wheel opening is too short. Over all it looks good, but the fenders look too fat to me. Not that it would stop me from buying this kit. It wouldn't. But if all the talk is about proportions, look again. I realize this is a TEST SHOT, and maybe it will be something they will change, maybe not.....

I think Revell will do a great job with this kit, and I know it will sell VERY well. As far as the wait for it to be released, March will be here before you know it. Heck, it's almost Christmas now!

Didn't the Hemi 'Cuda's and AAR's have larger front wheel openings than the Barracudas?

Yes .....and No, sorta

Hemi Cudas received ft fenders with modified wheel lips, meaning the inner lip is rolled differently to accomodate the larger tires but externally / visually / outward appearence they are the same as any other 1970-74 Barrcuda .

Only the Hemi Cuda received the F60-15 tires, all other cars max ft tire size was E60-15 which use the standard ft fender

Standard tire on a non Hemi cuda is F70-14 with the optional E60-15

Only the AAR received the mix tire sizes- E60-15 on the ft and G60-15 on the rear .

Also, AAR received re-arched rear spings and bigger tires to accomodate the rocker panel area exiting exhaust tips.

PS, if the Cuda kit comes exactly the way It's shown here I am still going to do the happy dance when my case of them comes in

Edited by gtx6970

• 4 months later...

... not to mention that there are other "dimensional" considerations , too . Things like , say , cowl vent depth : narrow and shallow may be how the vents are on the real "1:1" car ; however , when those vents are scalled-down to 25th their size , they appear as though they'd get buried under one coat of primer !

Take the hood scoops' height for another instance ; perhaps they'll "look right" once the requisite primer and colour coats are applied .

Moot Point : 1970 Barracudas and Challengers were built in two different assembly plants : Hamtramck (Detroit) and Commerce (Los Angeles) . The only exceptions being :

1.) AAR and T/A

2.) Hemi models

3.) Convertibles

4.) Special Orders (colour combinations , and-or the above mentioned models)

Those models were built only in the Detroit plant .

It'd stand to reason that there *may* be differences in the stampings . I know that Los Angeles' fender tags have a totally different font for the characters .

Edited by 1972coronet

• 5 months later...

Given that I'm not a Mopar guy, what differences are there between the 70 and the 72 Cudas? The grille, at least at first glance, appears to be similar if not the same. The taillights are obviously different. Are there other differences? Don't roast me, guys! LOL

Taillights and taillight panel, grille, front turn signals, engine choices--the big blocks being only available in '70-71. So MPC's '72-74 annual kits w/ Hemis were wrong.. :)

Edited by Rob Hall

Thanks to both of you...

Is the base body of the 72 the same as the 70? The reason I ask that is I read where the Challenger and Barracuda have a different wheelbase. I don't know if that's true, but if so, I was surprised to read that because I thought their chassis were identical with different sheetmetal attached. If we're talking body-only matters, what differences are there between the 70 and 72 grille? Is the taillight panel difference due only to the obvious taillight change or are there other changes to it re contour or other? Guess I should probably just find pics of 1:1s in both years and see if I can figure it out so I don't have to bother you guys... :)

Edited by futurattraction

As far as dimensions all year 1970-1974 Cuda / Barracuda body shells are identical.

difference's lie in the ornamentation. such as the grille , sidemarkers and tail lights.

Tail light panel itself is the same ( outside of the tail lights themselves) such as recessed license plate , fuel filler etc etc

rear valance is the same externally(there are mounting difference's but are not seen once installed )

Grille is obviously different -

1970 - one year only

1971 - one year only

1972-1974 are all the same ( same rule applies the plastic ft valance insert)

sidemarkers are the same for 1970-1971

sidemarkers are the same 1972-1974

Outside of drivetrain - virtually nothing interchanges between Challenger and Barracuda - any year

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks to both of you...

Is the base body of the 72 the same as the 70? The reason I ask that is I read where the Challenger and Barracuda have a different wheelbase. I don't know if that's true, but if so, I was surprised to read that because I thought their chassis were identical with different sheetmetal attached. I

Challenger wheelbase is 3 inches longer, IIRC...google it or check Wikipedia for confirmation. As far as the Barracuda/Cuda grilles, '70 has the turn signals in the upper grille area and '72-74 has them under the bumper, a detail that MPC forgot on their kits.. and '70 and '72-74 have 2 headlights, while the '71 has 4 headlights and the turn signals set into the pan.

I have resin '70 conversion parts (grilles, taillight panel, etc) to use w/ the once-common '80s issue MPC '74s, but never got around to building them...also have the MPC '70-74 annuals, 6 of '80s issue '74s, the '74 'Pro Street' version, a couple of the '74 snap kits, the Monogram '70 & '71 kits, but am still looking forward to getting 2 or 3 of the new kit...

Edited by Rob Hall

- 1970-1971 were available in 2 bodystyles : hardtop ("23") and convertible ("27")

- 1970 was the only year for the single 4Bbl 440 'Super Commando'

- 1971 340 was equipped with the then-new Carter Thermo-Quad (800 cfm) ; this continued from 1972-1974 .

- 1971 was the last year for convertibles (although certain t.v. programmes had their 1971 convertibles cosmetically-converted to 1972 fascia and tail lights / panel , but retained their 1971 VIN's.)

- 1972 was the last year for the Slant Six

- 1972 was the year when one could order a 340 in a Barracuda ( "BH" ) model

- 1972 Rally Wheel centre caps' design changed to an "acorn" shape

- 1972-1974 models all had only one style steering wheel ; the Challenger shared this exact tiller.

- 1973 Electronic ignition became standard

- 1974 models were equipped with the then-new 360 , which replaced the 340 .