Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Reference Pics & Info

I am definitely largely to blame for unintentionally Rail-Roading this thread to 1972 B-Bodies with 440+6 engines .

My apologies .

Back to 1970 Plymouth E-Bodies !

I wonder if any of the Los Angeles Plant's pilot vehicles have survived . There were a number of unique features which were exclusive to the L.A. facility :

- Black Primer on underbelly ;

- Most cars were built for the Southwest U.S. ;

- Many were built with "N95" ( Cleaner Air Package-come-California Emissions Package) ;

- The aforementioned "N95" was typically fuel vapour return lines (i.e. , breather had two outlets ; (1) one to the air cleaner base , (2) one to the Evaporative Emissions Return Line , a Calif-spec part in 1970 . Additionally , the fuel caps were Ca-specific in that they were non-vented . ;

- 440+6 equipped models had turn-down exhaust (no "N42" Bright Exhaust Tips) as part of the Noise Reduction Package (N97) .

While the latter equipment was alleged to be only for Torqueflite-equipped models (the standard transmission with the E87 440+6 as well as the 426 Hemi) , I have seen , in person , one L.A.-built 1970 440 Six Barrel 'Cuda with the D21 4-Speed (and basic Track Pak 3.54 Dana) , and turndown exhaust .

The addition of the N42's is a common *mistake* when these cars are restored .

I have also seen Hamtramck-built 440-Four Barrel 1970 'Cudas with factory-equipped "N41" (e.g. , turndown exhaust) , and one 383 Commando equipped Gran Coupe with turndowns .

Being an L.A.-area lifetime resident , and having grownup none too far from the esoteric L.A. Plant , I'm going to build my 'Cuda as an L.A.-built , 440+6 / T-Flite model .

But only after I build one out-of-box in order to get a feel for its assembly :)

Being an L.A.-area lifetime resident , and having grownup none too far from the esoteric L.A. Plant , I'm going to build my 'Cuda as an L.A.-built , 440+6 / T-Flite model .

But only after I build one out-of-box in order to get a feel for its assembly :)

John - I think you have a very good idea to build the kit out of box the first time, before modifying it. I wouldn't call it difficult to assemble, but it is definitely a bit challenging. The second one I built went together much quicker (and better) after learning about the kit with the first build.

Being a lifelong SE Michigan resident (excepting a number of cross country relocations with my career employer), I certainly understand your fascination with the LA Chrysler Plant, I owned a new '73 Duster 340 that was presumably build in one of Chrysler's Detroit area plants, and then a year later factory ordered a '74 Road Runner E58 360 hi-po which was built at the Windsor, Canada assembly plant, located less than an hour from where I am typing this right now!

Best regards...TIM

The 1973 Duster could have been built either at Hamtramck (majority of A-Body assemblies were performed here) or St. Louis (not sure if 'Louis built 340-powered A-bodies) .

A 1974 Road Runner ( or any B-body for that matter ) from the Windor , Ontario plant isn't all that unusual . Most U.S.-Spec , 1971-1974 Satellites , et al. , were built in Lynch Road (predominately a Fleet / Taxi / Police facility) , although I have seen *maybe* a small handful of Canadian-built '71-'75 B's ( heck , even the first 1971 Hemi GTX was built in Windsor !) .

While digging for 'Cuda shaker colors I found this:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4480873&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Original poster asks for the shaker color for his B5 blue 'Cuda. But it goes on with exact argent color and texture, primer overspray on the inside (!), primer color and so on. On page 2 is an interesting post quoting one of the original painters at Fram. Long but interesting read.

Edit:

And this

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=A12&Number=6782246&Searchpage=2&Main=6779076&Words=%2Bshaker+%2Bcolor&topic=&Search=true#Post6782246

Edited by JS23U

Watching the Mecum KC auctions on Velocity just saw a couple of '70 440 6 pack Cudas...one pink w/ a black shaker scoop (car was a replica) and a strange orange one w/ a black shaker scoop mounted on the outside of the hood--when the hood opened, the scoop raised with it..very strange. Both had black rear wings, of different styles--one with turned down tips (like on the Monogram '71 kits) and the other more of a flat slab (on the orange car). Lots of pics at the links below, but not sure how accurate they are.

Here's the orange w/ the funny 'shaker' scoop..

1970-Plymouth-Cuda.jpg

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC1213-169787&entryRow=196

and the pink one

1970-Plymouth-Cuda.jpg

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC1213-169794&entryRow=196

Edited by Rob Hall

The orange one is a pieced together clone, judging from the photos. The car wears Barracuda (not 'Cuda) nameplate, and that's what it probably originally was: A Barracuda. The funny looking shaker with black painted surround is wrong, the side marker housings are black instead of body color. The rear wing is a 1971 gull wing. The air cleaner is a 340 unit without snorkel, a 440 has dual snorkels. Nice looking car, but not original.

The pink one looks convincing and correct except for the later steering wheel. But pink Six Barrel four speed 'Cudas are so rare that I'd doubt the originality of this car until I've seen the data plate. It is just to good to be true... ;)

That EK2 ( Vitamin C ) , as JS23U pointed out , has got to be a "BH23" (Barracuda) , and , perhaps less-likely , a "BP23" (Gran Coupe) .

The FM3 ( Moulin Rouge ) has a Dodge air cleaner "pie tin" ! "Magnum" is Dodge's nomanclature for their high-perf engines , whereas Plymouth employed "Commando" and "Super Commando" as their high-perf engines' name .

As a side ; I'd have been more impressed if the orange car was kept in its Barracuda livery , and simply had the engine / drivetrain swap . Perhaps in origin , it was a 330hp 383 Barracuda , ordered in EK2 orange ; a rare item if it be so !

Guys...apologies to any of you who sent me PM's on 1/1 scale '70 'cuda specifications and build restrictions - just saw your messages today.

I have now responded to all messages that were in the PM in-box, so hopefully you will see those responses now. Again, apologies for not getting back to you earlier. TIM