Model Cars Magazine Forum

revell pete 359[ kit 07412]

hey all, about to start on this,

photo_zpsf16cbea4.jpg

any hints, tips, suggestions on this kit? it'll be my third truck build, [which so far has been a snap w900 and a mack r model] any pitfalls or crazy stuff to look out for? thanks in advance,

tom

Edited by tbill

Fenders may get in collision with air filters when tilting the hood. Making the holes in hood hinges a little bigger may solve the problem but watch out for not making it too big because the hood could slip too much forward and open a gap between the hood and cab. Also the bumper´s top edge may cause a little problem when opening the hood.

thanks guys. I think i'm going to start it this weekend. have been looking over the instructions to get familiar with it, and I think I may start cab/body stuff first [like my last build], get the hard stuff done first, then relax and build :D

anyone interested in a review on this kit, or is it old news? if interested, I took pic's of the sprue's and what-not just in case. I thought maybe a novice review might be entertaining, lol.

Edited by tbill

I always like the "novice" perspective on assembly. Perhaps an invitation to criticism but I have seldom seen it on this sight. And sometimes the "newbies" throw ideas and techniques out there that are definately outside the norm.

Making it all about me, I have never messed with one of these kits so you got at least one watching.

Good luck.

You've got a good start....The hinges, as Clayton mentioned, are a bit frustrating when attaching them to the cab.....I believe the paint is interfering with proper fit....You don't notice it till you're trying to get it together.....And like Jessie said....A fresh perspective is always interesting.....I've built quite a few of these things, but I don't know everything, so I know I'll be watching, too....

ah man, now the pressure is on, lol. got the cab/hood/doors/fenders in primer in the dehydrator. I glued parts of the sleeper together for preparation of wash/sand before prime. I taped the sleeper together with the floor in place, then glued the front wall [the pass thru to the cab part] on one side to one side of a sleeper side, and glued the back wall to the opposite side sleeper side, I figure in this way I can sand/prime both inside and out at once, and have two halves, rather than fight to paint stuff inside a box, if that makes sense. also made some progress on the frame. will post up some pic's tomorrow.

thanks for following along.

Doobie and Clayton, I was looking at those parts the other day, and yes, they do look quite fragile :o will have to address that for sure when I get to it. thanks for the heads up.

now, onto to good bits :D

making progress on the power plant,

photo_zpsae9fe25c.jpg

photo_zpse046917d.jpg

photo_zps2df89b4f.jpg

have most of the frame/running gear together and painted [currently in dehydrator].

question.....frame is gloss black, should air bags be flat black or gray as indicated by the instructions? [who follows those??]

thanks Terry. I tried just putting my index finger in the tire while trying to sand, but still couldn't get the center portion of the tread sanded, I didn't have much luck with the parting lines either, even with a new blade I could barely trim them. in person they don't look too bad though.