Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Moebius Kit Announcements

I can say this now, I think, as it is announced at iHobby, and will be announced this afternoon at the NNL in Sylvania OH:

Moebius Models will be producing two cars that have never before been done in kit form.

1) 1961 Pontiac Catalina/Ventura 2dr hardtop, and 2) 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone hardtop. These are two very cool cars for sure--I know they sure did light my fire back in their day!

Can't wait!

Art Anderson

I can say this now, I think, as it is announced at iHobby, and will be announced this afternoon at the NNL in Sylvania OH:

Moebius Models will be producing two cars that have never before been done in kit form.

1) 1961 Pontiac Catalina/Ventura 2dr hardtop, and 2) 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone hardtop. These are two very cool cars for sure--I know they sure did light my fire back in their day!

Can't wait!

Art Anderson

Looking forward to these...love big 60s Poncho's and the Comet has always been on my short list (think its those stacked headlamps)

Thanks Moebius!

1961 Pontiac will be a plus. But the 1965 Comet is most definitly on my want list and has been for some time. And mention of a time frame for either ?

is the 1970 Cuda still slated for this fall/winter or has it been pushed back to early 2014 ?

Have never bought a thing from Mobieus.

The subjects never interested me.

I can say that they will definitely be getting some money from me when the Ventura, Comet and Ford Trucks hit the shelves.

Now.if we could just get them to tool up some late 70's Dodge trucks with grille options..

Here's a few photos from the Moebius display. I'll post a few more shortly plus some Revell photos too...

001-vi.jpg

A little hard to tell from this photo, but that looks like a non-stock 427 in that Comet engine bay. I know this is a just an announcement/concept graphic - I'm assuming that Moebius will soon figure out that Comet Cyclones came stock with 289s.

Absolutely - I'd love to see both versions! Although there are a LOT of differences (in addition to engines) between a stock Cyclone and the A/FX drag versions.

Other than the body shell, glass, and maybe the interior tub, I wouldn't expect there to be much which could be shared, but an all new, accurate SOHC 427 would be really nice to have.

Lots of interest in vitage drag subjects right now. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Moebius already had something like that in the pipeline, in conjunction with the Model King, perhaps.

I was just thinking wishfully above, and honestly don't expect such a thing from Moebius. I think they've done a good job maximizing the kit tooling they've chosen to produce, while not spending a ton of extra money on second and third variants, instead keeping them relatively close to the original issue. I doubt a '65 Comet AF/X would be a huge seller anyway, but I wouldn't complain if such a kit appeared on hobby shop shelves.

Other than the body shell, glass, and maybe the interior tub, I wouldn't expect there to be much which could be shared, but an all new, accurate SOHC 427 would be really nice to have.

I was just thinking wishfully above, and honestly don't expect such a thing from Moebius. I think they've done a good job maximizing the kit tooling they've chosen to produce, while not spending a ton of extra money on second and third variants, instead keeping them relatively close to the original issue. I doubt a '65 Comet AF/X would be a huge seller anyway, but I wouldn't complain if such a kit appeared on hobby shop shelves.

I wouldn't look for the A/FX version, but the 289-equipped B/FX would be a definite possibility IMO...

Alright so I will upfront admit I don't know enough about a '65 Mercury to know the answer to this...what's the deal with the hood? The Moebius marketing thing has a flat hood, and I can find several cars like that online. But I find several with the hood that the drag car is sporting.

5108210144_66d085936e_b.jpg

Seems a Convertible would be a "gimmie" modified reissue of this idea too...

2450728335_555800273f_b.jpg

I think that is some sort of ram air hood that was used on the drag cars, and people have added them to street cars over the years....kind of the Mercury equivalent of the Mopar Super Stock hood scoops of that era, or the Ford teardrop scoop hood that was used on the Fairlane Thunderbolt drag cars. The poster Moeibus showed had a stock Cyclone hood.

Edited by Rob Hall

I think that is some sort of ram air hood that was used on the drag cars, and people have added them to street cars over the years.

Yes - that hood was never an option on the Comet, but a fiberglas item that was used on drag cars. I believe they ran ducts from those scoops to the carbs, a la the Fairlane Thunderbolt.

Also note that both of those cars have non-stock wheels; what look like chrome reverse wheels on the stock Cyclone are actually hubcaps.