Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda?

Jantrix

Would somebody please tell me what the two decals are right under the AHRA decal? I can't for the life of me figure them out.

Those are reprints of Plymouth's psychedellic illustrations of the 1969 Barracuda Rapid Transit System advertisements . Those style of psychdellic illustrations ran from 1967-1971 .

Did you use the Dart's engine compartment as well ? The Shear Panels are completely incorrect on the Barracuda (not to mention its 1966 & earlier brake master cylinder , too !) ; the Dart's boiller room is 100% perfect for the B'cuda !

I plan to , when i get back t it . The chassis a little long , I just cut it right behind the torsion bar cross member and shortend it.

I think I narrowed it a bit behind the rear wheels. I also removed the molded in wheel tubs. Its an easy mods and near drop in to really upgrade the kit

Any good Mopar guy knows exactly what car this is going to be

20160309_082104.jpg

20160309_082051.jpg

20160309_082018.jpg

20160309_082004.jpg

So, the Revell Dart is a better transplant than the AMT 71 Duster for an accurate 69 Cuda?

From what I have seen, the AMT Duster is the simplist (same wheelbase in real life), while the Revell Dart chassis/engine compartment is probably the most accurate (but will need to be shortened). I'm thinking the extra wheelbase and chassis length are probably just ahead of the rear wheels tho. Not at the front. In fact, I will guarantee it. After all, the later big bumper Darts (1974-up) used the 67-69 Dart fenders with a 69 Barracuda hood.

From what I have seen, the AMT Duster is the simplist (same wheelbase in real life), while the Revell Dart chassis/engine compartment is probably the most accurate (but will need to be shortened). I'm thinking the extra wheelbase and chassis length are probably just ahead of the rear wheels tho. Not at the front. In fact, I will guarantee it. After all, the later big bumper Darts (1974-up) used the 67-69 Dart fenders with a 69 Barracuda hood.

The Revell Dart chassis and suspension are nicer for certain , especially if one wishes to employ the nice (other than its distributor !) 383 / 440 with the Torqueflite . The AMT 1971 Duster 340 chassis will only work if one wishes to keep the 340 (needs to be modified to 1968-1969 water pump , "bubble top" radiator , and rocker covers format to be correct for pre-1970 340 applications) and the 4-speed . The trans tunnel will need to be modified for Torqueflite use , as it's too narrow .

The hood from the 1969 Barracuda was indeed used on 1973-1976 Darts ; however , the fenders were definitely specific to the 1973 & up Dart (witness the cheesy 1972 & later "universal" side markers versus the 1969-only reflectors ; totally different .).

To be a little more precise...I believe it was the 1973-76 Darts that used the '69 Barracuda hood....which I always found to be a fascinating re-application of old sheetmetal....something our friends at Mother Mopar did time and time again during the 1950's-1970's.....TIM  

I like the Dart kit as a doner essentially because it gives me the correct radiator, big block exhaust manifolds and system . Plus the interior floor pan isn't part of the chassis like it is on the duster. ,,,Plus its  what I have more of as parts kits . So my opinion may be slightly biased.

Neither one will be a drop in , actually I think the Duster chassis itself would be easier,,, Just some trimming at the rear bumper / trunk floor area to fit the barracuda body .

regardless of which one you use , I plan to cut the engine compartment out of the doner body and transplant it to the barracuda

Well, I'll probably end up going the pro touring route, so I'll probably use the street machine version of the 71 Duster. The incidentals under the hood for a stock conversion won't affect me.

Thank you everyone one your advice. I'm sure there are replica stock builders out there who appreciate your insight on the conversion.

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2013 at 8:27 PM, 1972coronet said:

Its best feature is its rare (in "1:1") Kelsey-Hayes "Recall Wheels"

For those looking for a set of these wheels, be advised what's pictured on the outside of the box does not always match what's found inside the box. Case in point the MPC/Ertl '69 Barracuda reissue, kit number 6070:

Wow!, the K-H 'recall' wheels!!, SWEET!:

MPCErtl69Barracuda1.jpg.b75a5e2cb04add370d4f9d3b96983144.jpg

Oh wait, why are six-lug(!!), 12-hole wheels shown on the side of the box as the optional wheels?:

MPCErtl69Barracuda2.jpg.caa24e26528d8c38f99971595b642453.jpg

The parts don't lie-- no 'recall' wheels included: *nope they're there* -_-

MPCErtl69BarracudaChrome.jpg.346d9384bfabb6ebd4e140a6027570d6.jpg

Oh, did you think white body side stripes were included, too? Sorry, you only get black stripes: *They are included, just hard to see in this pic*:

MPCErtl69BarracudaDecals.jpg.efd5b9f297b88ccb1296fbef6fab3afa.jpg

MPCErtl69BarracudaTires.jpg.a1e233c0e743e7b9e70db90608163f33.jpg

Edited by Casey
multiple errors
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

For those looking for a set of these wheels, be advised what's pictured on the outside of the box does not always match what's found inside the box. Case in point the MPC/Ertl '69 Barracuda reissue, kit number 6070:

Oh wait, why are six-lug(!!), 12-hole wheels shown on the side of the box as the optional wheels?:

The parts don't lie-- no 'recall' wheels included:

Oh, did you think white body side stripes were included, too? Sorry, you only get black stripes:

Uhhh, Casey, aren't those the "recall wheels" on the left? If they're not, what are they?

And it looks like the white stripes are on the decal sheet too, right under the black ones. You can just make out the white stripe on the right side of the lower one. 

Pretty sure I have this kit in the stash so I can doublecheck in 3D if you insist, but your photos seem to show all the "missing" stuff. 

ETA: Can I get a AY-MEN from the choir? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Snake45

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

MPCErtl69Barracuda2.jpg.caa24e26528d8c38f99971595b642453.jpg

The parts don't lie-- no 'recall' wheels included:

Oh, did you think white body side stripes were included, too? Sorry, you only get black stripes:

MPCErtl69BarracudaTires.jpg.a1e233c0e743e7b9e70db90608163f33.jpg

Uh, the recall wheels are on the left side of the plated tree.  The white decal stripes are there, right below the black ones...

26 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Casey, I think you need another cup of coffee, buddy. 

Those are the "recall wheels" right there on the left side of the chrome tree and the white stripes are there below the black ones. 

Hmmm, too late to edit?

:lol:

(In my defense, those white stripes are really hard to see...the wheels...-_-:lol:)

Edited by Casey