Model Cars Magazine Forum

Expressions of interest in new range of vintage trucks !

Hey.

I have been sidelined trying to complete the 32 pickups and BB trucks but as soon as i get these done I will get back into the AA truck. As far as it's progress goes there is not too much left to do. The cab is mostly complete, it just needs the upper swage below the back window and the round bolt heads that attach the cab panel to the inner frame to be made up. I am making up a mould from which i can make the studs up for this task.

For the fenders, I have attached the diamond plate running boards from the Lindberg 34 pickup onto them, I have made up a set of chassis rails, these are the shorter 131 inch wheel base rails. The other remaining tasks include making up the rear suspension and diff. The first AA truck to be completed will be the 157 inch wheel base flatbed version.

Cheers.

Edited by fractalign

• 1 month later...

I may have been wrong about the AA being available, I took this at an IPMS show in the UK in 2009 but no details so may be a GAZ?

IMG_4201.jpg

I have mentioned this thread to a military modeller (they tend not to look on car forums!) and he thinks there would be interest from "that side" too but again wonders why with all the investment and time so far that it would be necessary to buy a kit just for an engine, rather than including an accurate one with yours. Obviously your choice and you seem well on the way to doing this, good luck, hope you sell outside the US!

I was at a Vintage commercial show this weekend with a large model show and Jan Rosecky from Czech Truck Model was there with his Etch parts. He had brought one of the above kits which are still produced and I wanted it but it was £80 GBP - around $120 and that is without P&P! I'm sure there is room for another AA model!

Your entire list has gotten my attention... I'd LOVE to see these types of trucks on the market. Medium duty and early heavy duty trucks is a void that needs filling. Personally, I'd like to see a '48 Diamond T (or something similar) with a 4-53 Detroit and a twin stick transmission combo...

Hey Chris.

I am looking at doing a Diamond T further down the track but it will be a WW2 era version. Also looking at the doing a Federal from the same are. I will kick these two off at the same time.

At the moment I am working on the AA and BB Ford trucks so once i have completed these I can move onto some of the others.

Cheers.

I was at a Vintage commercial show this weekend with a large model show and Jan Rosecky from Czech Truck Model was there with his Etch parts. He had brought one of the above kits which are still produced and I wanted it but it was £80 GBP - around $120 and that is without P&P! I'm sure there is room for another AA model!

You are right about that Andrew.

At that price I doubt he is selling many. His version looks good but I Don't know how he can justify that kind of price tag. Mine will be around half that price so I am hoping that will take a bit of the pain out of buying one.

• 1 month later...

I would be very interested in most of tbe kits you plan on making available especially the Ford TT series.I have a tutorial right now in the light commercial under construction heading.It has a scratch built wooden cab and will feature a Weaver model G3 three ton auto crane wrecker boom.Having a kit if this would be a real benifit to a lot of builders.I know I would buy several for projects like gas tankers,dumpers,farm trucks,and on and on and on!

Hey Guys.

Just a quick update on the trucks. At the moment I am working on the chassis for the BB and AA Fords. The cabs for the BB Fords are done and ready to mould barring a quick quality inspection in the next day or so. There are two in total, the 32 Ford is a regular cab but the 34 Ford is an Australian version with a ribbed roof. The other difference they have with their North American counterparts is a no external visor and a timber frame.

The version I am producing will be similar to the one in the image. The tray will be a separate item but the kit will include the timber rails that run the length of the chassis that support the tray. I have decided to a add a full gear box with the kits as well because the trucks had heavier duty gearboxes than their passenger car counterparts. I have also decided to add more detail with the wheels, I was originally going to mould the wheels in one piece but I have opted to mould the hub caps and studs separately. The studs will be moulded from real stainless steel ones that i will be ordering shortly.

5984193392_35a3d35b5e-1.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The second image is of the AA truck, since this photo was taken I have changed the wheels by drilling the holes for the studs and pieced together the rest of the cab. The cab still need the fastening studs added at the rear and the fabric over the roof added. The roof its self was totally scratch built and the rear cab was made up from the remains of some old resin 32 cabs I had lying around. Sorry there are no images of the rest of the cab, I will put them up when its closer to being finished. I have also stared work on the differential this is totally scratch built as I am having trouble finding anything else I can use. The running boards are from the Lindberg 34 Pick up.

I have decided that the first AA release will be on a 157 inch wheel base like the BB trucks. The rails in the image are of the 131 inch wheelbase chassis that will be suitable for the tipper and tow truck bodies. These will follow later. There will be another version of this truck as well that will run this shorter chassis. Its called a service car and it incorporates the cargo area into the cab like a deluxe pickup.

P7050001.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Please be sure to post when your first kits will be avaiable so we can place our orders.You might consider offering some sort of assembly instructions for those not familiar with these vehicles.Possibly some line drawings or refrence photos would suffice for that.

Hey Tom.

All the kits will include instructions as standard and these will be photo based. As well as regular instructions, I will also offer online instructions and tutorials on the truck's Facebook page which I created. As to when the kits will be available I am not sure exactly but I would like to get them up and running before the end of the year.

I still need to make up the front and rear brakes and finish off the chassis. When I do have the first one finished I will post it up on this forum as an unassembled and assembled model so that everyone can see what the components and the complete made look like.

Hey Guys.

Here are some photos of the trucks. These are the last I will be putting up. The next lot will be of the finished kits when ever that is. Anyway I finally pieced the Model A cab together and put it on the chassis. You can see the updated wheels as well. The Model A will be running the earlier versions of these though. The first shot gives you an idea of how much work went into putting the cab together, still lot to do but the hardest part is done. P8033013_zpscad25ce6.jpgP8033012_zpscf09893a.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Robert,

I love the work you're doing, and I'm eager to see your 30-31 AA product.

However, I'm not sure about your representation of the rear wheels. All the AA wheels were identical and not position-specific. A front wheel/tire could be bolted up on the rear and vice-versa. Thus, the wheels should all be identical. The way your mock-up's rear wheels look, it appears you have the dual-wheel spacer on the exterior of the outside rear wheel. That extra disc (metal colored on your mock-up) would be positioned between the inner wheel and the outer wheel. The outer wheel would have a smooth concave dish appearance.

Here's my 1:1 configured as a 1.5 ton (single rear wheels/tires). Yours is mocked up as a 2.5 ton (dual rear wheels/tires). Everything was identical between the 1.5t and 2.5t rated trucks, the extra rear wheels made the difference.

ModelAA003-vi.jpg

In 1.5 ton configuration, the rear wheels present identical appearance as the front wheels, when viewed from the side of the truck. Notice the rear lugs are longer than necessary. To add two additional rear wheels/tires, the spacer was placed over the lugs and another pair of wheels/tires was slipped over the exposed lugs in reverse - and the lug nuts were then tightened to clamp the wheels, tires, and spacers together.

By the way, in 1.5 ton configuration, all four wheels could be mounted either way, 'dish in' or 'dish out,' and you often saw the front wheels 'dish in' with the rear wheels 'dish out' on the same vehicle. In the view above, mine has all four installed 'dish in' and ready to accept another pair of wheels/tires 'dish out' to upgrade its rating to 2.5 ton.

Carry on. I'm looking forward to seeing your products. B)

Robert,

I love the work you're doing, and I'm eager to see your 30-31 AA product.

However, I'm not sure about your representation of the rear wheels. All the AA wheels were identical and not position-specific. A front wheel/tire could be bolted up on the rear and vice-versa. Thus, the wheels should all be identical. The way your mock-up's rear wheels look, it appears you have the dual-wheel spacer on the exterior of the outside rear wheel. That extra disc (metal colored on your mock-up) would be positioned between the inner wheel and the outer wheel. The outer wheel would have a smooth concave dish appearance.

Here's my 1:1 configured as a 1.5 ton (single rear wheels/tires). Yours is mocked up as a 2.5 ton (dual rear wheels/tires). Everything was identical between the 1.5t and 2.5t rated trucks, the extra rear wheels made the difference.

ModelAA003-vi.jpg

In 1.5 ton configuration, the rear wheels present identical appearance as the front wheels, when viewed from the side of the truck. Notice the rear lugs are longer than necessary. To add two additional rear wheels/tires, the spacer was placed over the lugs and another pair of wheels/tires was slipped over the exposed lugs in reverse - and the lug nuts were then tightened to clamp the wheels, tires, and spacers together.

By the way, in 1.5 ton configuration, all four wheels could be mounted either way, 'dish in' or 'dish out,' and you often saw the front wheels 'dish in' with the rear wheels 'dish out' on the same vehicle. In the view above, mine has all four installed 'dish in' and ready to accept another pair of wheels/tires 'dish out' to upgrade its rating to 2.5 ton.

Carry on. I'm looking forward to seeing your products. B)

Dan Have you done any more work on this truck? I think this is the way it was the last time I seen it. Many years ago.

Hey Danno.

You have nothing to worry about, these are not the wheels I am using for there AA or BB trucks. The lugs are off centre to the holes for a start. The AA wheels will look identical to the ones on your chassis. One thing I should add is that the lugs will be separate units so that the wheels can be joined and taken apart. The wheels in the image are from a die cast model so they are actually little too big "1:24" scale. I will be moulding them, modifying the casts and turning that into the masters. The main reason I am drilling out the lugs in these wheels is because they are off centre. I will be purchasing some stainless steel ones and moulding them to go with the wheels.

ps.....since you own a full size AA chassis you might be able to help me get the details correct for my version one I start to put it together.

Cheers.

Edited by fractalign

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the progress or availability of your kits?I found a set of photos and sketches with dimensions yesterday that I made as a sophomore in high school(1958)of a '32 Ford BB truck that appeared annually at our local county fair set up to sell Richard's root beer.That will surely be my first bucket list truck build when I get my hands on your kit.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom.

Sorry for the very late reply. But here is where things stand at the moment.

The BB trucks are nearing completion I need to mould the diff and finish the wheels. The wheels will have separate lugs, I can make these up easily enough but the cab needs the rear studs replaced as they look too messy. Its not so much a matter of time as much as bang able to find the right studs for the cab. Once I get these, I can mould the cab. I am also adding studs for all the cross members in the chassis. If i can get the studs for one I can use the studs on the other. I figured pin heads might do the trick.

Anyway as soon as I get it done I will let you know.

Cheers !

Hey Tom.

Sorry for the very late reply. But here is where things stand at the moment.

The BB trucks are nearing completion I need to mould the diff and finish the wheels. The wheels will have separate lugs, I can make these up easily enough but the cab needs the rear studs replaced as they look too messy. Its not so much a matter of time as much as bang able to find the right studs for the cab. Once I get these, I can mould the cab. I am also adding studs for all the cross members in the chassis. If i can get the studs for one I can use the studs on the other. I figured pin heads might do the trick.

Anyway as soon as I get it done I will let you know.

Cheers !

Robert,

Try the line of 3d decals by Archer. They have excellent rivet heads that will give you the look you need without being over-stated.

$(KGrHqJHJDgFCIiQTz7,BQsrJq03Sw~~60_57.J

They are available in various sizes, so there's something that's perfect for your application.

Check them out at http://www.archertransfers.com/