Truck camper

69 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

been wanting to do a replica of my camper, but after countless searches, other than the Open Road model, there's pretty much nothing out there.

if the manufactors won't make a camper, i'll do it myself

my camper- '89 Travel Mate 8ft a rough draft

mocking up, get a pic in my head

bottom of the camper, goes in truck box, water tank is in the front compartment

got some panels cleaned up, cut out the windows & door, need to sand them. far as i can go-ran out of styrene for now.

Posted · Report post

COOL... love campers....been wanting to build a camping trailer myself or a motor home from the 60s.

Posted · Report post

Cool project Dan!. I often considered trying to scratch a slide in camper but never got around to it. I'm currently converting a Hess training van into a motorhome, so I'll be watching your progress with great interest.

It looks like your off to a good start. When it comes to scratch building you can never have too much Evergreen on hand.

thanks

carl

Posted · Report post

Awsume project and start...

Posted · Report post

Looks like a fun project and a cool idea. Good luck !

Posted · Report post

I like it. Keep it comin'

Mark

Posted · Report post

I'm watching!

Posted · Report post

Cool project Dan!. I often considered trying to scratch a slide in camper but never got around to it. I'm currently converting a Hess training van into a motorhome, so I'll be watching your progress with great interest.

It looks like your off to a good start. When it comes to scratch building you can never have too much Evergreen on hand.

thanks

carl

thanks, so true, went to the only model shop in town today, their moving locations & won't be open for a month. drove 20 miles to the next town & they were out of the siding i'm using, with re-order in a couple weeks. don't feel like going on hold for a month, so i bought some different siding & am currently re-making all my pieces. it's ok though, making some changes

it will eventually be going on my crew. and it's not really that tall, just haven't trimmed the back panel down to proper height

Posted · Report post

little bit more done. wonder if it will fit together

not to bad. some sanding & filler. the corners i left out for some corner bead to run along them like our real one

give it a trial fit

Posted · Report post

got a little more done, took some time off to build a canopy for my '64 chev, but doing what i can till parts start showing up. first ever attempt at doing my own graphics. old hat to most, but rocket science to me. took me 2 hrs just to find PAINT & how to use it. was working on the jacks today, hoping to finish & mount them tomorrow, get the windows in, & get the int walls paneled

Posted · Report post

Your camper is looking great,-the model of your 1:1 truck is pretty cool too.

I'm sorry I didn't comment on this before but just saw this for the first time but will be watching it from now on.

I understand what you're saying about the hobby shop, the closest well stocked shop is 100 miles for me (one way) so I do most of my shopping on line and sent thru the mail.

Here's a couple of sites that might help you out-They have a lot more listed than what you find in most hobby shops-->

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.plastruct.com/

Keep up the good work !

Just a thought-maybe there could be a Community Build for campers and R.V equipment ?

Posted · Report post

Very nice , top shelf scratch-building.

Posted · Report post

Very nice work.

Posted · Report post

That camper model looks just like the real one !

Posted · Report post

Great job.

Posted · Report post

You did a great job Dan, that is pretty cool.

Posted · Report post

Great Camper!

Wonderful Work Dan... B)

Posted · Report post

Excellent work Dan ! Your graphics look really good to me ! :D

Posted · Report post

Very impressive work on this project.

Posted · Report post

Looks great !

Posted · Report post

thanks you guys! went to take some progress pics, darn card maxed out after 3 pics.

really getting into this decal printing, ran off some "lino & countertop" for it

Posted · Report post

Your scratch building skills are off the hook. This is really looking real!

Posted · Report post

thanks Edward! camera issue resolved.

threw together a table, experimenting with some 1/8 floor underlay for mattresses, pillows, & couch cushions. had to glue 5 layers together for the mattress, & 3 for the pillows. wife is going to take me to fabric shop & see if can't find something green & sort of look to scale, then make blankets & pillow case covers. if it looks not bad, i'll start the kids bunk & couch.

once the top bunk area is done, i'm pretty much at a standstill inside 'till parts show up in a couple of weeks.

added a patio light, got some finer mesh for the screen door, have a couple minor things to add, door grab handle, wiring plug, plates for the tie-downs, some marker lights.

the front half of the roof will be glued on, after the OH bunk is done & my escape hatch gets here so i know how big a hole to cut. the back half of the roof i won't glue down for access

Posted · Report post

I am blown away Dan...!!! Very awesome work...love campers!

Posted · Report post

This is cool. Gives me inspiration for doing an old 50's style teardrop.