Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT vs MPC '32 Chevrolet kits

Greg Myers

There was a "Connoisseur Classics" version from MPC as well, and if I recall correctly, it was identical to the AMT version...same tooling.

$%28KGrHqF,%21qsFHMh4%21IgLBR8D9%291LPw~

I THINK the green-car box-art was street-roddded, and couldn't be built stock. Fenderwells for the spares filled in, no stock engine or rear end, etc. At least that's what it looks like from the partial kits and gluebombs I have. Art Anderson would know.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

They are identical.

There was a "Connoisseur Classics" version from MPC as well, and if I recall correctly, it was identical to the AMT version...same tooling.

$%28KGrHqF,%21qsFHMh4%21IgLBR8D9%291LPw~

I THINK the green-car box-art was street-roddded, and couldn't be built stock. Fenderwells for the spares filled in, no stock engine or rear end, etc. At least that's what it looks like from the partial kits and gluebombs I have. Art Anderson would know.

The fenders had scribed guide lines on the underside that you could open up to use fenderwell spares if you wished.

Another question. What's the Gang Buster kit like ? m9dk8EqKrslEj6G_7ea4nSw.jpg

This kit had a nice panel delivery that was cannibalized to make the "Dark Shadows" hearse

The recent repop of the hearse has the original frame parts (ideal to restore a gluebomb roadster) AND a nice set of pad printed slicks. (ideal size for the recent McKewen R.E. dragster)

Edited by doggie427

The MPC kit with the green car was molded in black and the fender wells are in the fenders. Other than that they are the same.

The MPC with the Blue car on the box is the hot rod kit with the V8 molded in white.

Greg if you have the gang busters kit sitting around send it to me as they are a bit pricey and have the ultra rare Sedan Delivery with the roadster in the same box.

No, only the AMT Roadster I picked up at the Park & Swap for $5. Looked like a good deal if both parties are good, then good is good.

I've been thinking about this kit and the Sedan Delivery ( which I believe, is actually a Panel truck) for awhile. When I was in college way back in the sixties , I had a friend that had a '32 Chevy with a small block 283. What was amazing was most of the rodded parts pretty much exchanged with no welding. Basicly everything just bolted right up. Chevy didn't change much from year to year. The engine / tranny bolted right in, rear end swapped out , juice brakes ,same holes. great little hot rod. :D

Well you know how it goes, can't have the real thing , build a model. :P

Now, to find one of those Panel bodys. ;) or maybe I'll just do a roadster ( with the cabriolet body) :lol:

The AMT Connoisseur Classics issues are the Old MPC kits.

They were issued After Ertl bought MPC, and started Dropping the MPC name.

I have the 3 kits from th e series.

The good part was that all the "Gangbuster" parts were added back

Except in th eChevy!

None were returned.

The Panel body was butchered we know.

But, What happened to the Police motorcycle and other parts?

Sawhorse barricades, Guns, Gangsters/police figures, etc??

Yes the Hot-rod/hop up parts were there, but no Gangbuster parts.

The Lincoln & Imperial has all those parts back.

Figures, Guns, Booze bottles/flasks, Hand grenades, Violin case, And more!

All missing were th eoriginal sdecals for the Cash & jewelery cases!!

The MPC Connoisseur Classics issue from the early 70's did not have any of those parts!

I have the Lincoln Radster/Cabriolet that I started restoring when I got the Sport Touring.

I even have a couple of the Chrysler Touring Molded in black.

One in original Gangbuster's box, and another in th e"Bloody Momma" box

From the Movie Bloody Momma about Ma Barker and her sons!!

Guns, Safe, Jewels, Cash & Decals are there!!

Wasn't some one going to resin cast that Stock Panel ??

Wish they would!

The Gangbusters was the first issue (1965); then it was sold as separate "roadster" (actually cabriolet) and panel delivery kits in 1966. The green "roadster" pictured is a 1966 issue kit. Someone took artistic license with the front fenders; the kit had spare tire wells molded into the fenders on both sides. The panel truck had similar artwork with a bluish tint to it: same mild rod version with Impala SS wheel covers on thin-line whitewall tires.

The mid-Seventies MPC Connoisseur Classics issue is molded in white, and includes only stock parts. The fender unit is the same as it had been: spare tire wells molded in.

Next issue was the "Blue Ribbon Rod" (around 1977-78). Molded in white, it can't be built stock, and the artwork shows a light blue car on the box. This issue had the spare tire wells removed from the fenders. New parts included a nice set of slotted wheels, a tunnel ram intake, and a set of "fender well" style headers that went out over the top of the fenders. Pipes coming off of the collectors at a 90 degree angle were then directed under the car and into a full exhaust system through small holes in the splash pans. That style was briefly popular with rodders back then. The seats were engraved with a diamond tuft upholstery pattern. If you like the '32 Chevy kit, this is a neat issue, well worth looking for.

Next up was the AMT/Ertl Connoisseur Classics issue. To get back to stock, separate spare tire well parts were tooled (smart move!) and the seats restored to stock. Most of the Blue Ribbon Rod parts were left in, but unfortunately the slotted wheels were replaced by Keystone style wheels. None of the optional parts are shown in the box art. I asked someone from Ertl about that back in the day...his reply was that the cars issued in that series were inconsistent in terms of optional items. The Lincoln and Chrysler had extras from the Gangbusters issues, while the Chevy had hot rod parts. Every one of this issue kit I have had, or have seen, has poor quality plating (wrinkly, runs and sags, etc). This is the most recent '32 Chevy issue. The currently available Vampire Van kit is of course based on the panel delivery version of the Chevy. The panel body has undergone massive alterations, but it does still fit the stock fenders...

Another question. What's the Gang Buster kit like ? m9dk8EqKrslEj6G_7ea4nSw.jpg

It has both cabriolet and panel delivery versions in one box, but only one car/truck can be built from it, leaving a ton of spare parts! The panel could be built as a "paddy wagon" with a divider between the passenger area and the prisoner/cargo area. That piece, and the Gangbuster related stuff, didn't make it into the panel when it was reissued as a stand-alone kit in 1966. A couple years ago, I bought a resin panel delivery conversion with a busted body (mainly to get the rear doors, which are often missing from built panel trucks, and are not in the Vampire Van). The conversion included that paddy wagon divider. I had a Gangbusters issue many years ago, but had forgotten about that part. It's not in the panel delivery kit that I have now.

• 1 month later...

The MPC kit with the green car was molded in black and the fender wells are in the fenders. Other than that they are the same.

The MPC with the Blue car on the box is the hot rod kit with the V8 molded in white.

Greg if you have the gang busters kit sitting around send it to me as they are a bit pricey and have the ultra rare Sedan Delivery with the roadster in the same box.

I have three of the Gang Busters kits, one is almost mint, with some parts that have fallen off the trees but otherwise perfect, one is missing all of the speed equipment for the Hot Rod version, one has a tire mark on the roof, (beware when buying a kit that is listed as "perfect" when there is no picture of the body in the listing)lol,& I have an older resin (could be Replicas & Miniatures) of the Panel delivery parts to build a panel out of one of the half dozen or so of the Roadster kits that have managed to find their way into my "inventory" oh,, did I mention that I kinda like the old early thirties Chevy's? I used to have a '31 coupe, but a move forced me to sell it to a friend,,it's still sitting in his backyard, one of the may he hasn't got around to.

The Gangbusters was the first issue (1965); then it was sold as separate "roadster" (actually cabriolet) and panel delivery kits in 1966. The green "roadster" pictured is a 1966 issue kit. Someone took artistic license with the front fenders; the kit had spare tire wells molded into the fenders on both sides. The panel truck had similar artwork with a bluish tint to it: same mild rod version with Impala SS wheel covers on thin-line whitewall tires.

The mid-Seventies MPC Connoisseur Classics issue is molded in white, and includes only stock parts. The fender unit is the same as it had been: spare tire wells molded in.

Next issue was the "Blue Ribbon Rod" (around 1977-78). Molded in white, it can't be built stock, and the artwork shows a light blue car on the box. This issue had the spare tire wells removed from the fenders. New parts included a nice set of slotted wheels, a tunnel ram intake, and a set of "fender well" style headers that went out over the top of the fenders. Pipes coming off of the collectors at a 90 degree angle were then directed under the car and into a full exhaust system through small holes in the splash pans. That style was briefly popular with rodders back then. The seats were engraved with a diamond tuft upholstery pattern. If you like the '32 Chevy kit, this is a neat issue, well worth looking for.

Next up was the AMT/Ertl Connoisseur Classics issue. To get back to stock, separate spare tire well parts were tooled (smart move!) and the seats restored to stock. Most of the Blue Ribbon Rod parts were left in, but unfortunately the slotted wheels were replaced by Keystone style wheels. None of the optional parts are shown in the box art. I asked someone from Ertl about that back in the day...his reply was that the cars issued in that series were inconsistent in terms of optional items. The Lincoln and Chrysler had extras from the Gangbusters issues, while the Chevy had hot rod parts. Every one of this issue kit I have had, or have seen, has poor quality plating (wrinkly, runs and sags, etc). This is the most recent '32 Chevy issue. The currently available Vampire Van kit is of course based on the panel delivery version of the Chevy. The panel body has undergone massive alterations, but it does still fit the stock fenders...

Mark has the history of this kit quite correct. If I might add a bit more:

Save for the 1/32 scale Pyro kit and the 1/20 scale Hubley metal kit, there have never been any other model kits done of a true 1932 Chevrolet roadster--the MPC/AMT kit has always been the '32 Chevy Cabriolet (fixed windshield, doors having roll-up windows with a folding upper B-post--very much the same body style as the '30 Model A Ford Cabriolet done by Monogram in the same era).

Second, the "panel truck" version in the original series (this was done as part of the "Gangbusters" kit as well as a separate, one-body-only kit a year or so after the original Gangbusters series of MPC kits faded from their catalogs. However, the actual vehicle was termed a "sedan delivery" and features a body NOT designed at General Motors Art & Color Department (which later became GM's Styling Division), but rather was a custom design (I believe) done by LeBaron (by then a department/division of Briggs Body Company of Detroit--more famous for styling and building the hign-end coachbuilt bodies for the likes of Packard, Chrysler Imperial and Lincoln--as well as the constructor of EVERY 1932 Ford Sedan Delivery), and was based on a '32 Chevrolet 4dr sedan body.

The late Bill Harrison of Monta Vista CA, well known to Bay Area car modelers for his vast library of reference material on 1930's and 40's American cars, told me this, and showed me his file on this particular car (Lord knows where he found all that information!). Bill had worked up (I saw this at his home in 1992 or 1993, while in the San Francisco Bay Area for an NNL-West/West Coast Model Expo) a correct '32 Chevrolet Deluxe pickup cab from the MPC Sedan Delivery and showed me the necessary mods to make it--very notably the much taller truck cab roofline and the considerably different character moldings on the body sides and around the back.

Why Sedan Deliveries in the first place though? In many large cities, going back into the 1870's or so, there were "boulevard laws" passed, which restricted the use of commercial vehicles on streets designated as boulevards (primarily in upscale neighborhoods)--commercial wagons, drays and later motor vehicles allowed ONLY for the purpose of making deliveries to homes on such streets, and then often specifying that such vehicles meet a rather high standard of style, trim and of course be well and cleanly maintained. In short, large, noisy, and often rather "ugly" trucks were simply frowned upon in neighborhoods populated by the wealthy, "old money" folks who considered themselves the aristocracy of the cities in which they lived (hmmm, sounds familiar even today!) From this came a market for delivery and service cars and trucks which were as stylish, highly trimmed as the luxury cars owned and driven for and by the wealthy families whose homes lined such upscale streets. In addition, many smaller businesses preferred the more stylish passenger car-based sedan deliveries over panel trucks for making deliveries to homes all over town, for delivering flowers, clean laundry (even diaper services!), prescriptions and the like. The US Post Office Department used sedan deliveries through the 1950's as well.

Pickup trucks and panel deliveries from the Big Three automakers were at one time offered with passenger car styling and sometimes with so-called "Deluxe" trim carried over from their passenger car stable mates, most notably from Ford, who regularly produced such deluxe up-level trim and styling on pickups until (or so the legend goes) Henry Ford questioned whether a buyer of a new Model A really wanted to see his car coming at him down the road piled with a massive load of hay on the bed, at which time Ford began styling pickups with either last year's styling themes or even their own distinctive look (witness the 1933-34 Ford truck series which carried over the styling brought out in 1932 while Ford passenger cars got the new streamlined styling of the Ford Model 40-then 1935-36 Ford trucks being given the styling themes of the '33-'34 passenger car line while passenger cars got even more streamlined looks for 1935).

But back to the '32 Chevrolet: Chevrolet offered a panel delivery truck for 1932, which used the same styling as all other '32 Chevy trucks, but was much more subdued, a lot more utilitarian in design, and with a body having a much higher roof line than that which was done for the custom-built sedan delivery which MPC modeled their kit after.

Art

• 1 year later...

I know the last post was way back in Feb/2014 , great info. I am just getting around to looking at this to build, I'm not 100% sure what I'll come up with, probably a 70's street rod - I have enough parts to piece something neat together, some of the Blue ribbon kit ( body, fenders, etc. ) & a panel body ..... I'll have to do something with the roadster body as well, it's really a very nice piece also. I noticed that the padded roof isn't correct in the kit, the vinyl should extend to the rain gutter; on the kit body, it's only on the flat part of the roof. For some reason, the windshield frame fitting in from the inside seems odd to me, but looking at the instructions online; it looks that that's the case.

I know the last post was way back in Feb/2014 , great info. I am just getting around to looking at this to build, I'm not 100% sure what I'll come up with, probably a 70's street rod - I have enough parts to piece something neat together, some of the Blue ribbon kit ( body, fenders, etc. ) & a panel body ..... I'll have to do something with the roadster body as well, it's really a very nice piece also. I noticed that the padded roof isn't correct in the kit, the vinyl should extend to the rain gutter; on the kit body, it's only on the flat part of the roof. For some reason, the windshield frame fitting in from the inside seems odd to me, but looking at the instructions online; it looks that that's the case.

The Panel Delivery kit does not represent a factory vehicle, according to the late Bill Harrison (known to older modelers in the San Francisco Bay Area for his extensive collection of 30's and 40's car reference materials, and an intense knowledge about them!), that was either a custom-bodied commercial vehicle done for whatever reason, or a restoration that didn't completely follow factory practices.

It's wise to bear in mind that in the 60's, 1930's mass production cars (save for the Model A Ford) were just "old cars" in the antique car hobby, at best AACA still tended to consider them to be "Special Interest Cars"--their focus still was on cars of the brass era back then. In addition, where a '32 Ford was pretty much an all steel body by then (some structural wood still remained in Fordor sedans though), Chevrolet by reason of Fisher money being second only to to DuPont in GM--Fisher having been the largest body company of all) Chevies were truly "lumber wagons" (where a '32 roadster trunk/rumble seat lid was an all steel part, the '32 Chevrolet roadster deck lid was made up of over a dozen wooden parts covered only by a sheet steel panel!). That alone meant a very small survival rate for Chevrolet cars of those years.

With that in mind, it's amazing to me that MPC's people managed to find either car for the purpose of research and reference for these model kits.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Having helped collect quite a few thirties Chevrolet cars through the years. (The last year that Harrahs actually put on the infamous swap meet in Reno we were the only vendors there selling early Chevrolet parts)

It isn't uncommon for the vinyl material to only cover the center portion of the roof, and the rest from drip molding to drip molding be painted black on pickups and commercial vehicles, and the occasional sedan, but never saw a coupe done that way.

Edited by horsepower

• 3 years later...
On 12/7/2013 at 5:37 PM, Mark said:

The Gangbusters was the first issue (1965)

MPC1933ChevroletGangbusters9IN1.jpg.5f0e4eb49b311bc6fead48704b7f7e7c.jpg

then it was sold as separate "roadster" (actually cabriolet) and panel delivery kits in 1966. The green "roadster" pictured is a 1966 issue kit.

MPC32chevyroadster.jpg.1d7e73f53d1e140550e2d9630f19a25d.jpg

MPC3Chevyroadster.jpg.e9ccd1b8004ce5a48451327cb517a0c9.jpg

The panel truck had similar artwork with a bluish tint to it: same mild rod version with Impala SS wheel covers on thin-line whitewall tires.

MPC33ChevyPanelTruck.jpg.2a00b6309ba017aee0ce36c7f71f3d61.jpg

MPCCC32Chevy.jpg.aa51db03209ee49565e9ff820269d9ce.jpg

Next issue was the "Blue Ribbon Rod" (around 1977-78).

MPCBRR.jpg.e8d6f4f60e5cc04b8148d90bf848471e.jpg

Next up was the AMT/Ertl Connoisseur Classics issue. This is the most recent '32 Chevy issue.

AMTErtleCCCHevy.thumb.jpg.63216a145334c4ca5bb157939a7d5af7.jpg