Model Cars Magazine Forum

993 Rauh Welt Porsche Resin Kit

brandolsx

This is the kit I am most excited about. I am going to be very detailed and take my time here. I am still pretty new to modeling but I have grown a lot already I feel. I am starting work on the 993 Rauh Welt Porsche kit. This kit is used with the Tamiya 911 GT2 Road Car kit as a donor kit. These kits are by a company called C1 Models out of the UK. Chris runs the place and is very helpful. This is one of my favorite cars of all time. Following photos you will see some photos of the real car and the unboxing.

image_01_zps446c9ff0.jpg

993-Porsche-911-Rauh-Welt-1_zps0d444653.

RAUH-Welt-Porsche-993-610x330_zps72d9f8d

photo2_zpsc963d26b.jpg

photo1_zps72b75a33.jpg

The quality of your example looks to be far better than the one i've got here. Mine is No 49/ 300.

I had read where C1 Models had changed its resin caster. it looks for the better too.

My example is molded in a dark grey resin and has required a huge amount of work, particularly around the front and rear windscreens to get to a useable state.

All the resin parts in mine were very ' softly ' molded. By that I mean all the sharp edges are rounded and required a lot of work to sharpen things up.

The biggest issue I've faced is although the C1body shell is molded off the Tamiya shell nothing from the Tamiya donor kit will fit it without work.

Its like the C1 Shell has shrunk to 1/25 scale in the molding process making all of the 1/24 scale Tamiya donor parts too big.

It will be interesting to follow your build and see how your one comes together

IMG_3661_zps026f4cf3.jpg

IMG_5808_zps5fb0cb36.jpg

Love this car!

Paint-idea:

attachicon.gifrwb.jpg

Yes! I plan on going with that signal green color scheme. I was thinking about the matte black but I like the green better!

Great looking kit, those C1 kits are NOT cheap!

This is my current favorite RWB car :)

1392005_564364743600397_243670567_n.jpg

Love it! Yes these kits are not cheap by any means! I just saw he came out with a new audi kit today and it was $150 not including shipping! Ouch!

The quality of your example looks to be far better than the one i've got here. Mine is No 49/ 300.

I had read where C1 Models had changed its resin caster. it looks for the better too.

My example is molded in a dark grey resin and has required a huge amount of work, particularly around the front and rear windscreens to get to a useable state.

All the resin parts in mine were very ' softly ' molded. By that I mean all the sharp edges are rounded and required a lot of work to sharpen things up.

The biggest issue I've faced is although the C1body shell is molded off the Tamiya shell nothing from the Tamiya donor kit will fit it without work.

Its like the C1 Shell has shrunk to 1/25 scale in the molding process making all of the 1/24 scale Tamiya donor parts too big.

It will be interesting to follow your build and see how your one comes together

IMG_3661_zps026f4cf3.jpg

IMG_5808_zps5fb0cb36.jpg

Thanks for the info! Did you make a build thread on here? I would love to take a look at it for tips! Yeah mine looks much better than that 129/300 but still have some work to do. I'll let you know how the fitment works with the Tamiya donor kit. Hope he got the size issues figured out with this new casting material. Looking good though! I really wanted the 964 kit but he doesn't have anymore of them. I hope he strikes them again!

• 1 month later...

Well I started working on this kit yesterday. This is my first resin kit and there is a bunch of imperfections that needed evened out. I started working on the wheels. They are a two piece wheel. There was a bunch of excess material that needed sanded off. Some flash between the "spokes" if you will, as well. I decided I am going with the "Rough Rhythm" version of this car. You can find a photo of the car below.

photo1-3_zps010514e2.jpg

photo1-2_zps8cf016d5.jpg

photo1_zpsfc0c0f6d.jpg

photo2_zps2623f239.jpg

AY0F4625_zps0b3daf45.jpg

Edited by brandolsx

The body also needed quite of bit of chopping down high areas. The back of the body near the exhaust tips is going to ned to be filled in where it looks like some air bubbles got in the mold. I am going to have to run to the store tomorrow to grab some filler and hopefully get this thing primed and ready for paint.

photo3_zpsb58dd582.jpg

photo5-2_zpsfb243ef4.jpg

photo4_zps17be3812.jpg

There is a stencil for the tires. I have them all masked up and will have to run to also get some white paint tomorrow. Hope they turn out! There are little tabs that get bent down to secure the place around the tire. Different sizes for the back vs. the front.

IMG_0053_rDPb_9_zpsac6c1dda.jpg

photo2-3_zps73ab85f6.jpg

photo3-2_zpseb19b7f8.jpg

photo4-2_zps628d3ab6.jpg

photo5_zps25d034dd.jpg

Thats coming along nicely Brandon. Just take your time and test fit everything. My biggest issue was getting the body shell to sit properly on the assembled chassis.

The Tamiya chassis just falls together but my resin body shell was thicker than the Tamiya body leading to interference.

It took me some time to determine where the interference points were and to grind the inside of the shell so it seated properly.

I didn't do a build thread on mine. i've got mine painted and am currently polishing it.

Thats coming along nicely Brandon. Just take your time and test fit everything. My biggest issue was getting the body shell to sit properly on the assembled chassis.

The Tamiya chassis just falls together but my resin body shell was thicker than the Tamiya body leading to interference.

It took me some time to determine where the interference points were and to grind the inside of the shell so it seated properly.

I didn't do a build thread on mine. i've got mine painted and am currently polishing it.

Thanks for the advice! I did test fit the body and mine too is a little bigger. I am filling the pot holes in the body now and such. I will prime the body and then start to test fit everything before I paint the body. Post yours up here when you get some more done for me to see!

One thing I am having a problem understanding is how to mount the RWB mesh to the trunk lid, then how to paint it would getting the body color on the mesh portion. Do you have any ideas on this?

Edited by brandolsx

I am currently painting the "idlers" logo on the tires. One good thing here is that the paint wipes off if you get it right away. I have sprayed the tires twice and it has run a bit. The key is getting the stencil as tight to the tire as possible. If there is a gap between the stencil and the tire, paint will get into this area and make the logo run together. The method I found the best is to place the wheel on some cardboard, line the stencil up on the tire, and then tape the stencil down to the cardboard. Tape doesn't stick too well to the tire itself. You also don't need a thick coat of paint. Just a simple 2 sprays and your done.

photo2_zpsefd21c42.jpg

photo3_zpsbc1d6e4e.jpg

Edited by brandolsx

I started puttying the pot holes in the body. I am using a squadron putty. I didn't buy a putty knife of some sort so this makes it hard. But It's coming along well. I put one coat on and sanded it down. It needed another coat in a few areas so I am letting that dry now. Use in a well ventilated area, this stuff will put hair on your knuckles boys!

photo3-2_zpsb342fb1f.jpg

photo4_zpse764194d.jpg

Hey Ron, I want to switch my wheels to the same as your color scheme. What paint did you use for the chrome lips on yours? They look really good!

Hey Ron, I want to switch my wheels to the same as your color scheme. What paint did you use for the chrome lips on yours? They look really good!

I machined those rims from aluminum on my bench lathe then polished them.

Scale Production showed some Rauh Welt wheels that had resin centres and aluminum rims on another forum recently but they aren't listed on their website yet

http://www.scaleproduction.de/index.php?cat=c10_Wheels-Tires-1-24-Wheels-Tires-1-24.html&XTCsid=c9da03fcde3d83a1064d5537bd19100b&cPath=10&page=1

As for mounting the RWB mesh on the trunk lid I simply taped the piece of photo etch to the lid in the correct position then sprayed a light coat of black through it.

i then cut out where the letters were and permanently glued the etch to the trunk lid and blended it in with body putty.

Once priimed and painted I just got a fine paint brush and some Tamiya enamel and filled in the RWB lettering.

IMG_6766_zpsbd11eac8.jpg

IMG_6772_zps813b3f95.jpg

Scale Production showed some Rauh Welt wheels that had resin centres and aluminum rims on another forum recently but they aren't listed on their website yet

http://www.scaleproduction.de/index.php?cat=c10_Wheels-Tires-1-24-Wheels-Tires-1-24.html&XTCsid=c9da03fcde3d83a1064d5537bd19100b&cPath=10&page=1

As for mounting the RWB mesh on the trunk lid I simply taped the piece of photo etch to the lid in the correct position then sprayed a light coat of black through it.

i then cut out where the letters were and permanently glued the etch to the trunk lid and blended it in with body putty.

Once priimed and painted I just got a fine paint brush and some Tamiya enamel and filled in the RWB lettering.

Thanks for the insight on the wheels! I will keep my eye on scale productions. I really really like how yours turned out. I just need to find a buddy with a machine shop to do the work! lol

Wow! That looks trunk lid looks great. I started working with my trunk lid. I might have to take it apart and re-try after seeing how wonderful yours turned out.

These seem like they might work. What are your thoughts Ron? Sizing work? http://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1925_16--bbs-e56.html