Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fuelish Spectator's Nhra Taxi

Hey Now.....

“NHRA TAXIâ€. Was built from a Revell 1950 Austin Drag Car for the club monthly contest that I belong too. I “HATE†the operable doors because they don't seem to hang correctly even with modified with sturdy hinges that I custom built. The wheelie bars are made of brass tubing and silver solder together. The motor is a little less than I desired due that I only put plug wire and port line for the blown motor. I also used Carbon Fiber Decals on the Valve Covers and Injector Hat. The paint is all rattle can with a generic flat white base with liberal mounts of Boyds Aluma Yellow Pearl, That when I got into making decals by a simple inkjet printer. The only decals I did not create are the ones on the front window in white. But everything else was done by my inkjet printer. I use Krylon Crystal Clear to clear the decals to set the ink on the decals. Yes these decals are a special type where the water factor was used at a very mininal use... (Long Story in it's self.)..

One last thing the decal for the grill was scan off a photograph that I took at a drag race.....

Fuelish

79596e98.jpg

13a7.jpg

94b4.jpg

JohnHilkert36.jpg

Edited by FuelishSpectator

nice little austin. looks really cool. awesome decals. just one problem, there is no phone number so i can call and get a ride. he-he.

i remember building that austin and it's brethren, thames panel and henry j, when i was a teenager. lousy body fitment, spindley front axle and all that chrome to scrap off (wheels had to roll).

cool car!

John,

Always have liked this build! I haven't worked with solder for headers yet. Is it difficult to work with?

Aaron :)

Aaron... Please don't use the solder for headers like zoomies.... because they look bulky and not hollow on the end. Probably will work if you were building a set of pro-stock headers with collectors.... easy to bend but not great for zoomies style.

Fuelish

John,

Always have liked this build! I haven't worked with solder for headers yet. Is it difficult to work with?

Aaron B)

Aaron,

Use solid silver solder. Way more expensive than regular solder, but a little harder(as in, more solid less give). Drill out the ends and touch up the holes with your favorite "exhaust look" paint.

TimP

I am a firm believer is soldier. Just make sure you don't get the flux core type or you will need to seal the ends with super glue (Or it makes a big mess, it corrodes)

On this car I made zoomies out of soldier. Easy to shape and easy to drill the ends out. If you shop around you can find different diameters.......

20071110_2298.jpg

20071110_2289.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...