Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Coronet R/t

I've been working on this one on and off since mid summer. After grinding and filing on the El Camino last weekend, I pulled this one back out since I was in the resin grinding mode. I've worked on this one all week as I await new aftermarket parts for the '71 Cuda and the resin '72 El Camino.

I got this kit from Model Roundup because Hobby Heaven was out of stock when I ordered. In hindsight, I would have been better off getting the Modelhaus version. But at that time, Modelhaus took it out of their catalog since AMT had announced a Coronet for 2007.

Of the three Resin King kits that I own, this was the best one. I had to remove the hood which had been glued into the master. Also, I have had to fill numerous pinholes which has been a tedious process that is still ongoing. Lots of flash and thick resin in spots. The taillights were molded in as well. I removed them and bought clear red Modelhaus replacements. Got Modelhaus chrome too.

I'm in the process of removing some chrome trim like emblems and wheel opening moldings. I'm leaving the R/T emblems on the tail and grille and will use PE or decals on the fenders. I was going to build this one curbside, but the more I've worked on the body, the nicer I have made it. So, it will become a full detail build. Going back to my roots, I'm using an AMT ex-MPC Charger metal axle chassis with a few mods. But, the interior is coming from an AMT '69 GTX which has more detail with separate door panels, etc.

Speaking of the interior, I'm using the front seats from a Revell Dodge Magnum.

100_1540-vi.jpg

The interior will be bare bones for performance so that means no console. I'm going to use the standard B Body instrument panel with the "sweep" speedo. But in a modern twist, Keith Marks is going to custom make me an IP decal with a white background and black numerals.

Here are a couple of mock up pics...

100_1542-vi.jpg

The emblems and marker lites have been shaved. Only the front and rear R/T emblems will remain. The wheel well moldings have also been removed. The rolling stock consists of Aoshima 19" Kranz LZX rims and tires. The rear wing is from a Revell '71 Hemi Cuda kit. The color will be either Duplicolor Super White or Tamiya Pure White, whichever is whitest. The wheel spokes will be black as will the six pack hood. A '69 Charger R/T bumble bee stripe will grace the rear.

100_1543-vi.jpg

100_1545-vi.jpg

Enjoy the pics and stay tuned for updates on all my current projects, which now total FIVE!!!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Hmm this one I think will be a stunner Marc, the kranze wheels look just right in the fenders on this one. I have visions of a hemi sitting in that engine bay with a proper efi set-up...might I be close on that? Look forward to more updates.

Gray

Edited by stryfe101

Hmm this one I think will be a stunner Marc, the kranze wheels look just right in the fenders on this one. I have visions of a hemi sitting in that engine bay with a proper efi set-up...might I be close on that? Look forward to more updates.

Gray

You're close. I'm thinking something along the lines of Steve Strope's Petrol Charger. It has dual carbs but looks the part anyway, don't you think?

looks great. but why not use '68 Coronet R/T stripes on it instead?

or '68 Superbee stripes?

I do believe I have some extra FredCady ones I'd send to you.

was saving them for the '68 Coronet I always wished would be released..................

anyway, I like it, but it would look pretty cool with '68 Dodge Coronet R/T or Superbee

bumblebee stripes.

That is looking cool! I still cant get over how easy those wheels fit under those old metal axel kits! I can't wait to see this one come together. Heres an idea for you, since you are updating/pro-touring (if that is not a bad word here), why not make the hood, rear wing and wheel centers CF? I am sure with your skills, you would not have a problem, and it would still look good with the black stripe. Here is a close up shot of the trunk on my GNX I was working on (It is on the trunk because I carried it over from the hood) that I did that to. Just a thought. :o

100_1534.jpg

Keep us posted.

looks great. but why not use '68 Coronet R/T stripes on it instead?

or '68 Superbee stripes?

I do believe I have some extra FredCady ones I'd send to you.

was saving them for the '68 Coronet I always wished would be released..................

anyway, I like it, but it would look pretty cool with '68 Dodge Coronet R/T or Superbee

bumblebee stripes.

Thanks for the decal offer but I have those too. I'm just trying to be different and I want the "R/T" callout on the '69 Charger stripe instead of using an emblem on the front fender like the stock '68 Coronet R/T.

Looks good with those wheels! What color will you be going for?

And about the wing, i would loose it, or move it 1-2 scale inches forwards on the car.. (no i wouldnt, i would go for a daytona style wing, but since im afraid of showing my complete lack of style, i dont wanna tell anyone..)

It's been a busy week with work, so I have not got much done in the shop. Given this, the '68 Coronet R/T is in grey primer now.

100_1554-vi.jpg

I applied the first coat of primer last weekend and it uncovered a BUNCH of miniscule pinholes along the rockers. Repaired them with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer, sanded and applied a fresh coat of Duplicolor primer today.

You'll notice that the door handles have been shaved. I'll be replacing the molded in details with the separate chromed units found in the Revell '69 Charger R/T. I also removed the Pentastar logo on the passenger side front fender and the R/T emblem on the rear, to be replaced with photo etched parts also made for the Revell '69 Charger R/T. I'll also use the front grille emblem to overlay the one molded into the Coronet grille. Both R/T emblems are nearly perfect for the Coronet. I'll probably use the foot pedals and window winders from the PE set in the interior.

100_1556-vi.jpg

My hope is to at least get the Coronet in white primer before the end of the weekend and some Duplicolor Super White before next weekend. And the wing is staying. I'll be modifying the angle of the wing to compensate for the downward angle of the Coronet's decklid. It will look better when it's painted black and applied on top of the bumble bee stripe.

While I'm using the modern interior tub from the GTX, I'm regressing to the good old days by using the metal axle chassis from an AMT ex-MPC Daytona Charger kit.

100_1557-vi.jpg

The white styrene on the rear of the chassis plate was added to match the contours of the Coronet body. While both are B Body Mopars, there was a difference in this chassis versus the original Coronet chassis. I have a '69 Coronet builder that I used for comparison.

100_1558-vi.jpg

Up front, I added some Evergreen styrene to close off the fender tops and to provide a solid attachment point to the body. The inner fenders have been smoothed and reshaped with emory boards and needle files. I sacrificed a set of inner fenders from the '69 GTX kit for the shock mounts. These will be cast in resin for use on future B Body metal axle chassis.

Stay tuned for more updates...

100_1579-vi.jpg

Three coats of Duplicolor Super White over Duplicolor white primer over Duplicolor grey primer. Still needs a clearcoat and will get a coat or two once the white gasses out in the dehydrator. Then I'll apply the Fred Cady black '69 Charger R/T tail stripe and bury it in more clear.

It's far from perfect but I don't even care. There are still a few miniscule pinholes near the rockers but one will be hard pressed to see them on the shelf. When you take the pressure off of yourself and just build something for fun, this little stuff doesn't matter. Soon it will be finished and I'll have a cool '68 Coronet R/T on my shelf!!!

I'll apologize in advance for my excitement. I'm sure you're tired of me posting updates on the Coronet this weekend. This is the first model that I have painted in 10 months and it feels GREAT!!!

Shot two coats of Tamiya clear on the Coronet tonight and painted the six pack hood with Tamiya matt black. It will cure in the dehydrator overnight then it will be ready for some wet sanding and the application of the black R/T stripe.

100_1580-vi.jpg

100_1581-vi.jpg

I wasn't sure about the Duplicolor Super White until I cleared it. Now, it looks "white".

Tonight, I spent about 90 minutes wetsanding the Coronet in advance of the decal installation and final clear coats. Once finished, I masked off the taillight panel and applied two light coats of Tamiya matt black.

100_1582-vi.jpg

No chrome back here save for the photo etch R/T emblem and the rear bumper. I'm digging the Black and White theme even more as I make forward progress.

Enjoy!!!