Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many of you tare down old builds ?

I have some older builds that I have no problem tearing apart to make something better ,but some builds that were "groundbreaking" for me at the time would be restored to as built condition . I like to purchase old builds off ebay usually to rebuild a rare kit but sometimes they are just too cool to change.

I've been doing it alot lately. My skills have improved, and I've learned some new tricks. I'm about 3-1 in rebuilds vs new builds the last few years.

Currently I'm rebuilding a Porsche 959 rally car for the Post Apocalypse community build, and restoring three hard to find mechs from the Revell Robotech line. I'm color correcting them to match the source material.

With the price of new kits, or buying old ones off ebay vs. "Hey, I can fix that"

I've got a Monogram Dodge Challenger and a 70 Cuda that I'm going to be doing that with. The Challenger will be a restoration towards the original build correcting some of the mistakes I made some 30 years ago and the Cuda will be an extended project. I just flat don't know that the hek I was thinking when I built that one!

I usually do not, I just take what I've learned into consideration on the next one. I have built multiples of a kit, Revell '32 Ford, to see what I could do better.

I recently re weathered a tank that sat for about three months. I knew I wanted to do more but wasn't sure what. After two other builds, I brought it back to the bench and went at it. I really like it now, and had a blast working on it.

G

I do rarely. Am in the process of rebuilding the first model I did after getting back into the hobby, AMT's 66 Fairlane. Also rebuilt a 71 Duster I had built for my brother after he traded it.

No, my built models are my babies and I love them all as they are. I do clean them up and repair as needed. As others said, looking at my older builds is like walking through the journey I've taken as a modeler, the progression of the learning curve. My pre-internet stuff has decals I made on a Xerox machine, one of my trucks actually has a license plate that was engraved by a jeweler friend of mine. Someone recently said I should update it to a printed plate done on the Acme site, no it's staying the way it always was!

Also, I don't part with my builds either. I still have everything I've built as an adult. I don't understand how people sell or give them away.

I do rebuild old stuff I've bought, and I especially like to restore old annuals and I'm known for restoring old customs done in the early 1960s.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Also, I don't part with my builds either. I still have everything I've built as an adult. I don't understand how people sell or give them away.

It's easy when you see the look on someon'e face when they recieve a replica of a car they owned, or would like to own, or just like. I enjoy it.