Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 plymouth cuda build-off

tubbs

Hey guys, first off, let me say that I have not gotten my 70 cuda yet Since there was over 25+ pages in the "review" section, it seems like practically everyone is going to be building one. So I am throwing up a build-off. not so much as a competition, but just to put all the 70 cudas in one area. I have never seen a kit stir up so much enthusiasm as this kit since the introduction of the pro mod kits.

As far as rules go, this is the first community build I have assembled and if anyone has suggestions, that is fine. I guess all you need is a 70 cuda kit, or as many as you want to enter, and you can build it any way you want. Start date is, let's say now, if an ending date is needed, lets say you have to be finished with them by July 4th 2014. I build like a chevy goes, very slow!!! so an ending date isn't good for me.

I will be going out today and look again for a kit, but until then, jump in with those cuda builds...... the water's fine....... haha, get it, cudas live in water......... never mind. Looking forward to seeing these, since I am a mopar kind of guy. Hopefully, we will get quite a few builds and stay at the top of the community build list.

Edited by tubbs

yes, I have a few of the 71 monogram and a few of the (UUGGGHHH), monogram AAR cuda. was fitting pieces from the AAR onto the 71, then gave up. with a little patience, I think you can come up with a fairly neat, reputable build. I would save a lot of money if I went that way instead of buying the new release.

Al, Hobbylinc.com has the 70 Cuda on special today yet for $17.xx

thanks Ben, I will check it out.

yes, I have a few of the 71 monogram and a few of the (UUGGGHHH), monogram AAR cuda. was fitting pieces from the AAR onto the 71, then gave up. with a little patience, I think you can come up with a fairly neat, reputable build. I would save a lot of money if I went that way instead of buying the new release.

Sorry , I meant using the '71 parts on the new release . To make a '71 .

count me in with a cuda soon as i get one . even have a really nice chevy engine to put in her to make her even more sloooow.

hope i can join along

Michael

that's great. thought there would be more interest since I STILL cant find one (not one for buying over the net, I know, what can I say). OK, the "CHEVY" and the "SLOW" I understand, but the "make her even more sloooow" part, I don't get... are you a Ford guy infiltrating a classic mopar community build?

I just got my kit today. I'm going with a Pikes Peak racer that would run in the vintage class today as Pikes Peak is now entirely paved. I'm going to try to find a good small block for it. The 340 from the AMT Duster kit just doesn't look in scale.

Does it look small ?The engine compartment is pretty big to fit all the optional engines. How about a small block from the Dodge Intrepid Stock car kit?

Edited by Road Runner 79

I hadn't thought of that Pat. Is it an actual Mopar small block? That might be exactly what I need. It's 1/24 scale as well so it will surely fill the space a bit better. I'll have to look into getting one.

And yes, it looks small even in the Duster.

Edit: Nope, won't work. A reliable source has informed the engine in the Intrepid is a Chevy small block with Dodge valve covers. But someone else also suggested the 340 from the 1/24 Monogram Challenger R/T. That might be doable.

Edited by Jantrix

I hadn't thought of that Pat. Is it an actual Mopar small block? That might be exactly what I need. It's 1/24 scale as well so it will surely fill the space a bit better. I'll have to look into getting one.

And yes, it looks small even in the Duster.

Edit: Nope, won't work. A reliable source has informed the engine in the Intrepid is a Chevy small block with Dodge valve covers. But someone else also suggested the 340 from the 1/24 Monogram Challenger R/T. That might be doable.

But they are very nice valve covers :)

I don't think I ever even stuck the small block in the Duster I built , I did test fit a big block before I put all the Viper stuff in it .

The small block in the Petty kit car locks small than the Duster block too.Maybe they will come out with a good small block if they make a new AAR down the road.

I just got my kit today. I'm going with a Pikes Peak racer that would run in the vintage class today as Pikes Peak is now entirely paved. I'm going to try to find a good small block for it. The 340 from the AMT Duster kit just doesn't look in scale.

I never noticed this. I always use BB's but want to do a 340 69 dart. I know its very well detailed.

anyways, still on the hunt for my cuda kit... sooner or later.

still..... nothing!! anyone building? post them up!! if i cant build one myself, i wanna see what you guys come up with!!

Before you buy one Al, take a good look at them. I just noticed on a finished build the other day that the front end is very short and stubby looking. Look at the leading edge of the front fender well and the leading edge of the front fender. You'll see what I'm talking about. You may need the front portion of the AAR 'Cuda to get it to look right.

• 2 weeks later...

Before you buy one Al, take a good look at them. I just noticed on a finished build the other day that the front end is very short and stubby looking. Look at the leading edge of the front fender well and the leading edge of the front fender. You'll see what I'm talking about. You may need the front portion of the AAR 'Cuda to get it to look right.

thanks Roger, do you think some of these things will be corrected down the road? I also heard that the rear drivers side body line rolls up with the wheel lip. hey, I guess it's still a 70 cuda! beats paying $200+ for one.