Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt Datsun 280zx Kit Bash

kustombuilder1

Howdy folks, here's a project I really enjoy, from one of my favorite kits of all time. AMT's Datsun 280ZX, mixed up with parts from MPC's Pontica GTA. The engine is the TPI 350, and the seats are from the GTA as well. The wheels and tires are from AMT's '50 Chevy stepside kit, and the tires are the nice Good-Year Eagle VR 50s. The subwoofer is from AMT's Dodge D-50 kit. I shaved off the factory side marker lamps for a smoother body line on the sides. I also haad to modify the transmission tunnel on the chassis, and interior, enlarging it to allow for a THM350 automatic transmission.

Painted Duplicolor GM medium Garnet Pearl, and polished using Micro-Mark's polishing pads, finished with 3M #39007 Imperial Hand glaze. The trim is Bare Metal foil on the window frames and wipers. The gauges are white faced, and printed from a photo on decal paper with my Lexmark. The rear hatch window and rear quarter windows are tinted with actual 50% auto tint film. real auto tint film works well on semi-flat windows in scale, but is rather tricky on steep curves, like an F-body GM would have.

The hardest part was scratchbuilding the air intake hose. I had to route it around behind the A/C compressor and up to the factory air cleaner housing in front of the radiator support. This was for hood clearance. The air cleaner is painted Testors MM Duck Egg blue, almost a perfect match for Datsun's air cleaner housing covers at the time. It's not nearly as bright as the flash of my camera made it seem.

Hope you like. :lol:

redz5.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

Edited by kustombuilder1