Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transparent Colored Clear Sheet for Gasser Windows

Lighting Gels on eBay auction 271241483024 Anyone know how thick these are? Would be great if they are the thickness of the colored sheets that Revell used to put in their kits. Check the available colors, this is more along the lines of the stuff I'm looking for.

if you have a theater or movie lighting supply store you can get "gels" that they use to color their lights for stage work.

Take it that you have used the Lighting Gels on a model before, what is their thickness?

For ease of workability 0.010 ( 1/4" = 0.250 so 0.250 / 25 = 0.010 ) or 0.015 ( 0.015 X 25 = 0.375 or 3/8" thick ) both are stock sizes for plexiglass and would be ideal. Measured the clear sheet in a K. S. Pittman Willys kit and it is 0.006 thick. ( 0.006 X 25 = 0.150 or 5/32" thick ) might be a little thin for a race car. Oops, sorry the Engineer in me pops out every now and then!

I got clear red sheet for a '50 Chevy gasser from an old VCR.

I've tried tinting kit "glass" with clear paints and candys but by the time I get enough costs on to give the required colour depth the opacity is down by too much.

In addition to the above listed suggestions, if you have clear sheet on hand, you can also use Tamiya colored clears, like their blue, red etc etc, and just airbrush on light from the backside. Also,k at Hobby Lobby in their diorama/train/art supply aisle (two aisle over from the models) they have individual sheets of a few colors as well.