Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Wayne: You are not allowed to stop building here until the GB ends!!! WOW!!! I'm going to end up PMing you for tutorials on painting figures. I have some 1/48th scale mechanics that I would like to paint for my Stuka.

Ben: Man that color and those decals go together like peas in a pod man!! Nice. Did you use any setting solution on those decals?

Well guys we are starting to wind down on the cockpit here. I've got the rudder pedals in stalled. What a hoot that was if I would have done that the way the Aires instructions would have had me do it. Basically there are two PE arms that come off of the pedal bracket and are SUPPOSED to be glued one on the L/H fuselagea and the other on the R/H fuselage. I chose to make a styrene section and glue both of the pedal bracket mounting arms to that and then the whole styrene section to the L/H fuselage. Kind of like this:

Morecockpitphotos002_zps354d5d57.jpg

one last shot of the interior before we move on here:

Morecockpitphotos006_zpsce365d83.jpg

and now she's sewn up!

Morecockpitphotos007_zpsf4cd1988.jpg

I'll admit, I've been slacking and haven't even started yet. I had another build I was trying to get in the final stages before I cracked open another one, but I Haven't done much with that either.

The work you guys have been doing is incredible.

C'mon Jason get at it my friend!

:lol:

Joe those rudder pedals are the schnizzle, or should I say schnitzel?

B)

Guys we post here with impunity when on other forums you are required to give credit to the origin of the pic. That's why I stated what I said about that diagram. I simply don't know who to give credit to so it is there "for discussion only".

Moving on, she's finished!

DSCF4953_zps9132494d.jpg

DSCF4954_zps8cbbe9e9.jpg

DSCF4955_zps76b83efe.jpg

DSCF4956_zpsa1e4f8f7.jpg

DSCF4957_zpsd1f5244e.jpg

DSCF4958_zps8b608775.jpg

DSCF4959_zps1d223f9f.jpg

DSCF4960_zps9223a4e5.jpg

DSCF4961_zpsa5ce703e.jpg

I'm planning on small desert bases for this and the Pz III L. I'll incorporate them into clear display cases. Next up I believe will be a USMC Sherman flame tank from the Iwo Jima campaign.

G

It's been about a week here since we've posted last so I'll post an update to get it started. I cut out the port wing machine gun access panel opening and test fit the machine gun receiver in the wing here.

LHwingpics003_zps9b7fc2ce.jpg

and here's the guts of that operation,

LHwingpics2002_zps0eb25adc.jpg

and here it is all painted and weathered up:

Wingsandfuselage006_zpsa0f44981.jpg

Sorry, Mustang 1989. Back to building and would like to change my build from the dollhouse to a Yamaha XV1600 Roadstar if you will still have me? Thanks.

Here are pics, I did glue the frame halves together but that is all.

DSCN2630_zpsbf638024.jpg

DSCN2632_zpseb263b02.jpg

DSCN2631_zps9f7a2176.jpg

Next up is the cowl oil tank reservoir. This is another Verlinden piece from WAAAAY back when! Back when Verlinden was one of the only suppliers for resin that I knew of. This and the wing mounted MG17 machine gun internals were all I felt like using out of that set! I guess a decent build could be had out of the rest of it but it would be ALOT of work. Here's what I started with:

LHwingpics2003_zpse1818dc4.jpg

Well this didn't exactly line up with the fuselage too good. Go figure! It's time to start integrating the resin detail with the kit supplied stuff again!!

Pictured below on the left is the OOB part with both halves glued together. On the right is a OOB part from my spare Stuka kit with the L/H side panel cut out:

Cowlarea003_zps37504752.jpg

Now I had to cut the "compartment" out of the resin block and get it ready to install under the assembled cowl halves:

Cowlarea004_zpsa5b14e69.jpg

and here we are with the oil reservoir compartment tucked away under the cowl piece. Still some minor clean up and trimming to do.

Cowlarea005_zps5ef20301.jpg

This is it installed onto the fuselage with the compartment and oil reservoir painted up and weathered. Still have some clean up to do but it'll turn out ok.............

Wingsandfuselage005_zps63586428.jpg

Thanks Wayne. For the longest time it seemed like he was the only one indeed. I'm going to be finding out this year how the Eduard brassin stuff stacks up when I build Eduards new Bf109G-6. There's alot of hype over that kit and I've seen an article review of it already. Hell I've already got my decal sheet for that build and the particular kit I want is months away from release. Supposed to be really killer kits from what's going around and from what I've seen in the bulld pics.

Believe it or not I actually accomplished alot today. My son is sick and laid around resting all day so i did some work on my bike. I think I might actually finish this one too. Check out the pics and let me know what you guys think.

DSCN2655_zps20c2834a.jpg

DSCN2654_zpsbc409c5f.jpg

DSCN2652_zps521eb3cb.jpg

Well guys I've got the cowl compartment/ piece put on and most of the body work completed on the fuselage. So far so good. Just need a little "clean up" on the oil reservoir compartment and I'll call that done:

Wingsandfuselage002_zps168a26c9.jpg

Wingsandfuselage005_zps63586428.jpg

and for the real cool development (at least I'd like to think so) is the addition of a landing light to this sucker. I have yet to figure out why a model manufacterer would put a "hole" in the leading edge of a wing to install a lens over..............absolutely nothing! But that's what they did! Here's what we normally would have:

Wingsandfuselage009_zps64c781c1.jpg

You see, I just can't let this slide, so....................

I went to work making a scratchbuilt landing light. I do have car models in my stash (don't worry, I'm not going to hack up anything-I want to build this kit one day) I have Mark Martins 1994 Thunderbird in the stash and used one of those "cutaway" tabs you always see on the windshields:

FuselageandWingAssy_zps96f49c17.jpg

The right hand one is gone and is being used here. I trimmed the clear part up quite making it just a hair smaller and not as thick. I painted the back of the "light" silver and added one drop of future to the face making it concave in appearance and giving it a true glass shine. I had a piece of resin stock from all these add on resin kits I accrue and cut that down so that it would fit between the wings halves and painted it RLM 02 gray, then stuck the landing light to the base and put it in the wing.............

Wingsandfuselage007_zps0fce2d68.jpg

Wingsandfuselage008_zpsa469bd13.jpg

The foam below the wing MG17 gun compartment is for a "push" from the bottom when the wing halves are assembled. Ever have something like that looking really cool and later on in the years or with just the right jarring the whole thing falls inside? Aint gonna happen folks! Just a little insurance is all.

Anyways this is what the whole thiing looks like now instead of a "hole":

Landinglight_zpsad1dac01.jpg

and it comes fairly close to my referencesemotion-5.gif:

FuselageandWingAssy003_zps843f1fab.jpg

Edited by mustang1989