Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush help

After making a post about spray paint and getting some good advice, a few guys had suggested investing in an airbrush. I'm very limited on funds so I can only spend $75-100 bucks. I'm not looking for the best just one that will last and let me do all kinds of different projects. I hear you guys always talking about Paasche H and Badgers.

Here are some kits I found on amazon that I was looking at. I know a little bit but not enough to buy a kit. Take a look and let me hear your opinions and advice. It's been a huge help so far and I need to make a decision by tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-314-BS-System/dp/B004ISKY4C/ref=pd_ybh_1 - NO COMPRESSOR

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrushing-MAS-Airbrush-Compressor-The/dp/B00BF0MW9G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_6

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Professional-Airbrushing/dp/B006FQCBZK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Multi-purpose-Two-Airbrush-Set/dp/B004KNDR26/ref=pd_ybh_6 - NO INFO. HAVE NO IDEA IF ITS GOOD OR BAD

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Airbrush-Compressor-Exclusively/dp/B009ZXNPUA/ref=pd_ybh_15

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Spray-Portable-Tankless-Compresser/dp/B00G5D3RBK/ref=pd_ybh_8 - NO INFO. HAVE NO IDEA IF ITS GOOD OR BAD

If you guys know of any or see any others that are good for a decent price let me know

A Paasche H is an example of an external mix airbrush. The air passage and paint needle are separate of one another. The air blowing over the nozzle/needle assembly syphons the paint out and sprays it. It's essentially like a rattle can. An internal mix is like a Badger 200nh syphon or an Iwata Eclipse gravity feed where the paint and air mix inside the body of the airbrush. An internal mix brush gives you better control and smoother paint patterns. I have a Paasche H external mix brush and I only use it for base coats on wargaming miniature commissions because it performs better with heavier pigmented paints. The rest of my airbrush arsenal is internal mix and various needle/nozzle sizes depending on what I'm spraying. (I do custom painting on the side as well). If you are going to be using an airbrush for base coats only, I would recommend the Badger 200NH. I've had one for years that I use pretty well exclusively for painting everything from the engine components to body parts. Using a coupon for Michaels you can get one for $50 or so. It's a single action airbrush that you can adjust your paint pattern at the back needle chuck and press the button for air and paint much like a rattle can. If you want to get in to something a little more high end on your $100 budget, I'd recommend the Iwata Eclipse. You can get these at Hobby Lobby with the coupon for that $100 range. Both are easy to get spare parts for. Paasche VL is on the same level as both of these as well. Another thing to consider is what type of paint you're going to be spraying through your airbrush. If you are spraying lacquers/urethanes then get the Eclipse or a Badger Patriot 105. If you are just painting acrylics, any airbrush will be fine.

OK, like anything else, you can spend a ton, or a little, and a whole lot of in between. The most expensive is not always necessary.

First off, of those that you have listed, the second and the next to last are the same brush with different compressors. I would personally avoid the second listing style of compressor because they tend to pulse despite them saying they do not.(some folks actually use asthma nebulizer as compressors.

The last time I replaced my compressor I was also on a budget, and I actually bought the next to last set up you list above, and I have had no issues at all with the compressor and I have had it about a year and a half now. The brush is basic, but does a decent job., Once you get used to using it, you can always upgrade later. Just note the size, .1 is smaller needle for finer lines, .3 larger for coverage etc. Again, they are not perfect, but they function decent. Here are a couple projects I Have used the same brush and compressor on.

A Paasche H is an example of an external mix airbrush. The air passage and paint needle are separate of one another. The air blowing over the nozzle/needle assembly syphons the paint out and sprays it. It's essentially like a rattle can. An internal mix is like a Badger 200nh syphon or an Iwata Eclipse gravity feed where the paint and air mix inside the body of the airbrush. An internal mix brush gives you better control and smoother paint patterns. I have a Paasche H external mix brush and I only use it for base coats on wargaming miniature commissions because it performs better with heavier pigmented paints. The rest of my airbrush arsenal is internal mix and various needle/nozzle sizes depending on what I'm spraying. (I do custom painting on the side as well). If you are going to be using an airbrush for base coats only, I would recommend the Badger 200NH. I've had one for years that I use pretty well exclusively for painting everything from the engine components to body parts. Using a coupon for Michaels you can get one for $50 or so. It's a single action airbrush that you can adjust your paint pattern at the back needle chuck and press the button for air and paint much like a rattle can. If you want to get in to something a little more high end on your $100 budget, I'd recommend the Iwata Eclipse. You can get these at Hobby Lobby with the coupon for that $100 range. Both are easy to get spare parts for. Paasche VL is on the same level as both of these as well. Another thing to consider is what type of paint you're going to be spraying through your airbrush. If you are spraying lacquers/urethanes then get the Eclipse or a Badger Patriot 105. If you are just painting acrylics, any airbrush will be fine.

With regards to the links you have posted above to various airbrush kits, I'd avoid them personally. If you have only $100 or so to spend, I'd recommend the Badger 200nh and this oilless compressor from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/16-horsepower-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-69433.html

Wow, mike. Some great advice man, thanks. From the sound of it, the Badger is what I'm looking for. I would just love to be able to get it all in one package though. I'm gonna check out Michaels this week and see what they have to offer. Do you know of any sites that might sell that brush with a compressor? Btw, I would love to see some photos of your work if you have any. I'd like to see what each of them could do. I want to eventually be able to airbrush graphics on all kinds of things.

You can also try EBAY for airbrushes . Since you're just starting out don't over look the Testors Aztek airbrushes . you can find them pretty cheap they are easy to use and clean and would work just fine to learn on . I found an airbrush compressor at Menards (home improvement box store ) on sale for $30.00 again not the best but adequate for starting out . I would recommend starting with the lower end stuff until you are sure you will be using it often enough to warrant buying the top of the line stuff .

OK, like anything else, you can spend a ton, or a little, and a whole lot of in between. The most expensive is not always necessary.

First off, of those that you have listed, the second and the next to last are the same brush with different compressors. I would personally avoid the second listing style of compressor because they tend to pulse despite them saying they do not.(some folks actually use asthma nebulizer as compressors.

The last time I replaced my compressor I was also on a budget, and I actually bought the next to last set up you list above, and I have had no issues at all with the compressor and I have had it about a year and a half now. The brush is basic, but does a decent job., Once you get used to using it, you can always upgrade later. Just note the size, .1 is smaller needle for finer lines, .3 larger for coverage etc. Again, they are not perfect, but they function decent. Here are a couple projects I Have used the same brush and compressor on.

Mark, some great advice. The photos of your work gives me a lot of confidence about getting that set up. Right now I that one seems to be the best deal. I think I'm going to look for the same kit with no paint and maybe two brushes. Do you think the kit you have would be good for graphics and other projects? Btw, they all don't say how big the needle is, how do you find out what is used?

I was also looking into the badgers because michaels carries them. Still trying to do research. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

You can also try EBAY for airbrushes . Since you're just starting out don't over look the Testors Aztek airbrushes . you can find them pretty cheap they are easy to use and clean and would work just fine to learn on . I found an airbrush compressor at Menards (home improvement box store ) on sale for $30.00 again not the best but adequate for starting out . I would recommend starting with the lower end stuff until you are sure you will be using it often enough to warrant buying the top of the line stuff .

Thanks for the advice Randy. I'll look more into it. I still need to get more educated and shop around some.

my pick would be #3. The compressor looks like a KO of the Iwata I have. There are no pulses with the filter/regulator as pictured.

That compressor is very quiet and smooth running, they appear to be oil filled, so keep an eye on the level. The airbrushes included are a good mix. Don't worry about double action a most can be set/adjusted to open the paint quantity and then it's just press down or pull the trigger. Good Luck !

Wow, mike. Some great advice man, thanks. From the sound of it, the Badger is what I'm looking for. I would just love to be able to get it all in one package though. I'm gonna check out Michaels this week and see what they have to offer. Do you know of any sites that might sell that brush with a compressor? Btw, I would love to see some photos of your work if you have any. I'd like to see what each of them could do. I want to eventually be able to airbrush graphics on all kinds of things.

PM sent with a link. You're welcome. Feel free to contact me with any other questions airbrush related.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. After doing a lot of research I'm leaning towards the Badger Anthem 155 internal mix duel action. Unfortunately that one breaks the budget, especially when you add a compressor. I didn't want to settle for junk or anything I was to unsure about. We'll see how much money I have to play with when the time comes.

Sorry for the dealy in resopnse, I was out of town. A badger is a great brush, you can get parts for it easliy if needed etc. Use the Hobby Lobby coupon at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Maybe you could get the brush one weekend, and the compressor another.

You are right, not all auctions list the brush size, you can just click the "ask a question" link to be sure.

Good choice.

I've had my 155 for 18 years now with no issues. Still my go to AB for car bodies and single color armor builds. I have done fine work with it as well, it's just that i have aquired several others in the interim.

G

Sorry for the dealy in resopnse, I was out of town. A badger is a great brush, you can get parts for it easliy if needed etc. Use the Hobby Lobby coupon at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Maybe you could get the brush one weekend, and the compressor another.

You are right, not all auctions list the brush size, you can just click the "ask a question" link to be sure.

See that's why I want to get the badger. Just seems like the right fit. I herd they are very dependable and the brush size ranges a lot with only one needle. A lot of other reasons, but looks like I'm leaning towards that one. You have a good idea Mark with maybe buying the different elements at different times. We'll see when the time comes.

Hope everyone had a great holiday. Thanks for all the help.

What ever the compressor you choose, make sure it has a moisture trap in the line. That is the small clear cylinder attached to the tank. You can by them separately. You being in a humid part of the states, I would highly recommend it.

Edited by lordairgtar