Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheelstanders , who was first ?

After posting the "Hot Rod History HHUG" http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82962 I got to thinkin, Who was first and just how many were there? I have a collection of "Racing Champions" diecast cars depicting various wheelstanders. But looking at our good friend Google https://www.google.com/search?q=wheelstanders+drag+racing&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3wWyUsGvK6TgyQGv74DgDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=774#imgdii=_ I realized there are quite a few.

So who was first ? 26.jpghemi_under_glass.jpghttp://bangshift.com/blog/the-top-11-greatest-wheelstanders.html

Edited by Greg Myers

Little Red Wagon was first. It started out as a serious idea. The idea was to get as much traction on the rear axle as possible. When they dropped a fuel injected motor in there, on the first test runs they couldn't keep the front end on the ground.

So that makes John right. Ray, I got no problem believing you were first, but unless you've got pictures to prove it, well ..........

Little red wagon circa 1965 was the first, unless you believe Ray but like Joe "Nitrozilla" said we will need pictures to prove this tri-cycle ordeal. LOL But one of the coolest wheelstanders was Gary Watsons Corvair Paddy wagon. When he launch it he would stand up and put half of his body out the windshield.

Of course, organizations such as the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, The 40&8 people, and of course, the Shriners, all these organizaitions have had chapters who were altering the wheelbase of Model T Fords as far back as the late 1920's, to perform wheelstands (often extended for several city blocks) in parades and at other public functions. Does that count? ;)

Art

The picture in gtx6070's post was taken at Detroit Dragway. Jay Howell was driving. At that time it was not a wheel stander. It was intended to race A/FX cars. It was running in the mid 10s at 135 MPH.. As testing went on adjustments were made and they just couldn't keep it on the ground. Later it was turned over to Bill Golden and as they say The rest is History!

Of course, organizations such as the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, The 40&8 people, and of course, the Shriners, all these organizaitions have had chapters who were altering the wheelbase of Model T Fords as far back as the late 1920's, to perform wheelstands (often extended for several city blocks) in parades and at other public functions. Does that count? ;)

Art

the proof is in the pudding. Got any pictures ? :rolleyes:

Some of the old 65 AWB dodges and Plymouths went on to be wheelstanders (none successful) and Chrysler sent out a memo to racers to stop doing "Wheelies". Dick Landy had quite the reputation for wheelstanding his Dodge and Hubert Platt had no problem puttin' the front end way up in his 65 Falcon. Both racers were booked on several occasions at tracks for their ability to put her on the rear bumper. So would they be considered the first?

Original wheelstander:

hoovesup.jpg

Most sources agree the Little Red Wagon was the first, followed by the Hemi Under Glass (which like the LRW was built as a experimental true racecar). It's hard to way who built the first actual purpose-built wheelstander, by the end of 1965 they had exploded on the scene.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Art

Around here we had Nebo the clown who had a couple of model T's built for laughs, one was a wheelie machine that he drove form the back seat. He also had a two ended Crosey.

I enjoyed going to the Lions drag strip in Long Beach Ca. in the 60's. There is nothing like seeing these cars at night , sparks flying of the tail gate or rear bumper, flames standing out of the headers. Man, that would get your heart pumping.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing the Little Red Wagon at ESTA (Empire State Timing Association) back in the late 60's. That was the local drags trip in Cicero, near Syracuse, NY. Still operating the last I heard. It was amazing at the time. I've still got a Kodak picture of very low quality of it when it made a run there. Those were good times. I guess I'm aging myself a little. The Hemi Under Glass ran there as well along with a lot of the big name AA/F dragsters of the time. Brings back a lot of good memories.