Model Cars Magazine Forum

The rarest AMT truck model?

Yeah but BJ and the Bear has been reissued a few times just minus the decals. The Convoy Mack and it both pop up fairly often on ebay Australia.

I agree Danno, not making it into production doesn't count.

Yes, and the BJ truck is basically the same truck as the Tyrone Malone transporter trucks without transporter body and Tyrone decals...and maybe a shorter frame.

The BJ trucks are for sure expensive on ebay but it's quite easy to do one cheaper with a re-issued generic AMT KW K100 Aerodyne kit and aftermarket decals.

The Ertl Convoy Rubber Duck kit is a regular Mack DM 600 with some added parts and decals to do the movie truck...sort of...and Model King re-.issued the DM 600 quite recently.

But sure, the Convoy Rubber Duck kit first came out in 1978 (that's the issue I have) and was available continuously to 1981-82 something and hasn't been out since in it's original form with all RD parts...so you might call it rare...and it for sure fetches a lot of money on ebay for some reason.

• 4 years later...
5 minutes ago, highway said:

I find it funny that since this thread was first posted, most of the "rare" kits then are now on the shelves. 

Right!!! I was talking to a friend of mine who is a model truck builder but not online and he said the same thing!!! He also said he could of sold a lot of what he has for upwards of a hundred bucks to buy to of them now and still have change left over!!!!  Could almost buy three with the cost of them now!!! Now the value of the ones he has will and have come down with the exception of older kits that have been re tooled to make modern or different versions where he has the original and may possibly be seen in that form again.. then he stands a chance of it holding value!!

3 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Right!!! I was talking to a friend of mine who is a model truck builder but not online and he said the same thing!!! He also said he could of sold a lot of what he has for upwards of a hundred bucks to buy to of them now and still have change left over!!!!  Could almost buy three with the cost of them now!!! Now the value of the ones he has will and have come down with the exception of older kits that have been re tooled to make modern or different versions where he has the original and may possibly be seen in that form again.. then he stands a chance of it holding value!!

Yes, and it just doesn't extend to AMT and kits like the Papa Truck and Super Boss among others that they have knocked the dust off the molds to. Another good example is the old Monogram 1/16th scale trucks, the Kenworth Aerodyne I had as a kid I got when the reissues came out and just in the last month I picked up an original issue of the flat top sleeper version and an original flatbed kit. Since for some reason Revell wasn't smart enough to bring back the trailer, I still had to pay a decent amount for the flatbed, but still what I have in all three kits is still much less than just one of the tractor kits were selling for before the reissues. 

HPIM4851.thumb.JPG.c7e31d9fd858b36aba0041edc8f49e3d.JPG

20171203_223154.thumb.jpg.1244dc452719a10068115ac48875b278.jpg

1 hour ago, highway said:

Yes, and it just doesn't extend to AMT and kits like the Papa Truck and Super Boss among others that they have knocked the dust off the molds to. Another good example is the old Monogram 1/16th scale trucks, the Kenworth Aerodyne I had as a kid I got when the reissues came out and just in the last month I picked up an original issue of the flat top sleeper version and an original flatbed kit. Since for some reason Revell wasn't smart enough to bring back the trailer, I still had to pay a decent amount for the flatbed, but still what I have in all three kits is still much less than just one of the tractor kits were selling for before the reissues. 

HPIM4851.thumb.JPG.c7e31d9fd858b36aba0041edc8f49e3d.JPG

20171203_223154.thumb.jpg.1244dc452719a10068115ac48875b278.jpg

It’s nice to see the older trucks come back though!!!!

3 hours ago, DrKerry said:

It’s nice to see the older trucks come back though!!!!

Oh definitely! I know I've seen many complain about reissues, and some that seem to be out constantly I can understand, but some of the more recent not only with trucks but cars as well have allowed my stash (and I'm sure many others) grow by leaps and bounds! There have been some like the 1/16th scale Aerodyne I had as a kid and lost the originals in a house fire in 1997 that I wanted back but just couldn't justify paying the "collector's" price for them, and others like the Super Boss and Papa Truck that when they were released I hadn't started building yet. There are some of the others that the last time they seen the light of day was long before I seen the light of day LOL!

32 minutes ago, Ben said:

I have every kit that’s been mentioned here including two sealed Challenge mixers and even I don’t have this. A lot of people have never even seen it. This is the rarest AMT kit.

530E573D-94FE-4E04-96DA-C92816221720.jpeg

That would be awesome!  Wonder if Round2 knows about it?

2 hours ago, highway said:

Oh definitely! I know I've seen many complain about reissues, and some that seem to be out constantly I can understand, but some of the more recent not only with trucks but cars as well have allowed my stash (and I'm sure many others) grow by leaps and bounds! There have been some like the 1/16th scale Aerodyne I had as a kid and lost the originals in a house fire in 1997 that I wanted back but just couldn't justify paying the "collector's" price for them, and others like the Super Boss and Papa Truck that when they were released I hadn't started building yet. There are some of the others that the last time they seen the light of day was long before I seen the light of day LOL!

I’m the type that welcomes the old stuff too, but it’s also nice to see new as well!!

Of the three Tyrone Malone trucks, the hardest to find seems to be the Bandag Bandit, the other two are recent releases. These are original issues from a few decades ago that I picked up recently. I can find lots of Papa Truck and Super Boss kits for sale but only one Bandag Bandit and the online store has it at $200? 

AMT Bandag Bandit.JPG

AMT Papa Truck.JPG

AMT Super Boss.JPG

18 minutes ago, Howard Cohen said:

Of the three Tyrone Malone trucks, the hardest to find seems to be the Bandag Bandit, the other two are recent releases. These are original issues from a few decades ago that I picked up recently. I can find lots of Papa Truck and Super Boss kits for sale but only one Bandag Bandit and the online store has it at $200? 

There were actually four kits, the Bandag Bandit's hauler like the Papa Truck called the Hideout Truck was also done as a kit. The main reason there are so many Papa Trucks and Super Bosses available is because of the reissues, the Bandit and Hideout haven't been reissued yet. I thought when the first two came back, the Bandit and Hideout Truck were also supposed to be reissued as well, but I thought they were scheduled for last year and never seen them. 

20 hours ago, highway said:

There were actually four kits, the Bandag Bandit's hauler like the Papa Truck called the Hideout Truck was also done as a kit. The main reason there are so many Papa Trucks and Super Bosses available is because of the reissues, the Bandit and Hideout haven't been reissued yet. I thought when the first two came back, the Bandit and Hideout Truck were also supposed to be reissued as well, but I thought they were scheduled for last year and never seen them. 

Be nice to see those two out as well!!!!

Here is a picture of the original issue Hideout Truck from 1981-82.

7d6e_3.jpg.e22bcb9aa231aa9a1b95ff22e2076625.jpg

The Tyrone Malone Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck kits were only issued once so they are quite rare and expensive nowadays.
The Hideout Truck is pretty much the same as the Papa Truck except for the decals and boxart so it would be easy to reissue.
The Bandag Bandit on the other hand is a bit different to the Super Boss as it has a different hood and wing, the tail lights and rear panel are also different as well as the twin turbo setup on the 12V-71 engine and the exhaust pipes, the rest is pretty much the same, so hopefully Round2 will find the tool inserts for the Bandit and reissue both of these trucks soon.

Edited by Force

I don't know of any AMT 1:25 scale Kenworths with Detroit Diesel 12V-71 other than the Tyrone Malone Super Boss and Bandag Bandit, the different versions of the W925, T600A and K123 has Cummins NTA 370.
AMT did 5 different versions of their K100 Aerodyne, the Tyrone Malone Papa Truck and Hideout Truck transporters, the BJ and the Bear TV show truck and two generic trucks with different decals and boxart, but all had the same Detroit Diesel 8V-92T and Allison automatic transmission as far as I know.

Edited by Force

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 7:04 AM, lapazleo said:

As far as versions of kits go the tournement of thrills C ford and auto hauler is certainly quite rare.

I only saw that kit once in 1974, IMO one of the rarest for sure.. Will we get  to the point of where the box art is more valuable  than what's inside?