Model Cars Magazine Forum

Train and model set ups,displays

Greg Cullinan

If this has no business being here feel free to delete.

I've googled and browsed some train sites.

I thought I've seen some here also do trains and incorporate their models with the displays. Thinking about getting a train for Christmas. What scale is compatible with 1/25th. Any brands,or other things to look out for?

I want a old fashion coal locomotive,undecided on cargo or passenger.

Also plan on using a sheet of 3/4" plywood and securing the tracks as semi permanent in my basement.

All the larger scale trains us the same track gauge which is 45mm. I think that this works out to the standard European gauge at 1:22.5. However 3ft narrow gauge using the same track is 1:19.5. A lot of Bachman trains are this scale. USA Trains and Aristocraft produce trains at 1:29 and others produce trains at 1:32 which is close to North American standard gauge. Either the 1:22.5 or 1:29 will work with 1/25th scale models. most of the train buildings are 1:24th scale regardless of the actual rolling stock scale. Most of my trains stuff is !:29 as it is the most common in these parts.

Carl

• 2 months later...

Thanks Casey and Carl. Interesting that all buildings are 1/24. There are a lot of car models in 1/32 so that's not a bad option. I was checking out O gauge

O gauge is 1/48 scale.

1/25 th 1980 MPC/amt 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive Train Model Kit might work also with some mod's

This one:

HPIM2936.jpg

I plan on using this as a load for a lowboy tractor trailer.