Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '49 Mercury Wagon

Austin T

If you use the '50 Ford engine, you would also need a different tranny for an accurate stock build. Replicas & Miniatures offers both the '50 block and a '49 Merc tranny cast separately; that might be the easiesr route if you don't want to use the engine from the AMT kit.

I'm using the '50 Ford flathead, with the tranny cut off and replaced with the transmission from the AMT '49 Merc (easy swap BTW). I've found that the pickup oil pan is incorrect for a passenger car, won't clear the Merc's tie rod unit with the engine set forward as it needs to be.

Pics once I get the front engine mounting points built for the front crossmember, and the oil pan shapes corrected.

Art

• 1 month later...

Would anyone care to speculate what (if anything) the next version of this tooling will be?

I suspect there will be no next version, and this Woody is the end. This kit is already a custom based on the engine, so I don't think they'd try to squeeze another period custom out of the tooling, as it'd be too close to this kit.

A stock coupe is out of the question with the Cadillac engine, and I'm not sure I've seen more than a handful of stock coupes built from the AMT kit, so I can understand the decision not to go that route.

Shoebox Fords are a different width and wheelbase, so those are out, too. If Revell wasn't wiling to change the engine to a Flathead, I don't see them wanting to change the wheelbase, body, interior, etc.

I don't really see any other viable option for this tooling to be honest. I suspect the original custom has done very well, and this recent Woody, too, so maybe that was the plan (and the hope) from the start-- two good selling kits which will be in and out of the lineup for years to come.

I don't really see any other viable option for this tooling to be honest. I suspect the original custom has done very well, and this recent Woody, too, so maybe that was the plan (and the hope) from the start-- two good selling kits which will be in and out of the lineup for years to come.

À custom convertible with carson top maybe?

À custom convertible with carson top maybe?

What else would be different from the original '49 Custom Merc kit? And would the parts be different enough to justify a third version? I have my doubts, especially since the original Revell chopped coupe included two sets of wheels, three grilles, two different styles of bumpers right from the start.

I think this subject was limited from the start, but since the '49 Mercury coupe is so iconic as a custom, it was probably leaning closer to a safe than risky when it came time to decide whether or not to proceed with creating an all new kit. I think this was discussed in the original Revell '49 Merc topic found HERE , but IMHO a chopped top right out of the box is a huge plus to most potential customers, and is probably the #1 reason Revell decided to proceed even when AMT's '49 Coupe will always be available.

I just feel Revell could spend its Hobbico allowance on other subjects, subjects with better and more bankable future sales potential.

I still do not understand, seeing this kit is 99% stock, the lack of the flathead. Seems like a no brainer to me. Really the only thing custom about it is the engine, correct?

I assume it was a cost issue..Revell's budget for the wagon kit didn't include tooling up a new engine...

The flat head should be no big deal --- several kits have them ---

Yeah it would have been nice to have a stock engine included but then again there are many around --- the 50 Ford pick up being the obvious choice ---

too bad they didn't just toss that into the box but oh well ----- I will still buy a second and third of this kit for different builds ---

But they tooled up a new Caddy engine. They could have tooled up a flathead and given it hot rod/custom parts. Nice kit either way, and I have a spare 49 Merc flathead for if I ever get this kit, but sometimes I just don't get it, lol.

I assume they reused that Caddy engine tooling from the existing 49 kit.

I assume they reused that Caddy engine tooling from the existing 49 kit.

Yes the Caddy engine carried over from the earlier kit. It was said by Revell that NOT tooling up a new engine was the thing that made the project viable from a budget standpoint. Keep in mind that was for that one project. Nobody said in the future they won't do a stock convertible and put a stock flatty in it. That would be a new project with a different budget.

It's been said in threads, maybe even in this one, that the 1950 Ford pickup engine / trans is not the correct flathead for this application. The correct one is in the AMT 49 Merc kit, which they astutely brought out again around the same time...

Yes the Caddy engine carried over from the earlier kit. It was said by Revell that NOT tooling up a new engine was the thing that made the project viable from a budget standpoint. Keep in mind that was for that one project. Nobody said in the future they won't do a stock convertible and put a stock flatty in it. That would be a new project with a different budget.

It's been said in threads, maybe even in this one, that the 1950 Ford pickup engine / trans is not the correct flathead for this application. The correct one is in the AMT 49 Merc kit, which they astutely brought out again around the same time...

Revell's '50 Ford F1 flathead engine is vastly better than the old AMT '49 Mercury unit, as it should be, given the 32 year span between the engineering and tooling of each. The major turnoff for me with the AMT engine is the cylinder heads--way too flat/thin, and for whatever reason, somewhere along the way, AMT decided it would be cool to engrave the plug wires right across the tops of the heads. However, the transmission on the pickup engine is wrong for a passenger car, while the AMT-49 Merc transmission is actually quite accurately done. That's easily corrected by cutting the pickup tranny off the bellhousing, and replacing that with the unit cut off the AMT engine (in exactly the same place, of course). The aircleaner, and possibly the carburetor from the AMT kit are correct for the station wagon.

Here are a couple of pics of how I adapted the '50 Pickup flathead to my '49 Merc station wagon frame, and the mods I had to accomplish on the engine:

1949MercuryflatheadV8engine2-vi.jpg

Modifications needed to the '50 pickup engine's oil pan and exhaust system:

1949MercuryflatheadV8engine1-vi.jpg

Engine in chassis, with exhaust system parts laid out:

1949Mercuryexhaustsystemparts1-vi.jpg

Everything test fitted together:

P1010018-vi.jpg

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I suspect there will be no next version, and this Woody is the end. This kit is already a custom based on the engine, so I don't think they'd try to squeeze another period custom out of the tooling, as it'd be too close to this kit.

A stock coupe is out of the question with the Cadillac engine, and I'm not sure I've seen more than a handful of stock coupes built from the AMT kit, so I can understand the decision not to go that route.

Shoebox Fords are a different width and wheelbase, so those are out, too. If Revell wasn't wiling to change the engine to a Flathead, I don't see them wanting to change the wheelbase, body, interior, etc.

Actually, a Mercury convertible would be very cool--given that Ford Motor Company built all their '49-'51 station wagons (the station wagon body shells are exactly the same save for the door skins--due to styling differences) on convertible chassis. Of course, while the frame designs are the same for both makes, the Mercury is something like 4" longer overall and in wheelbase.

One can only hope, huh? :)

Art

Revell's '50 Ford F1 flathead engine is vastly better than the old AMT '49 Mercury unit, as it should be, given the 32 year span between the engineering and tooling of each. The major turnoff for me with the AMT engine is the cylinder heads--way too flat/thin, and for whatever reason, somewhere along the way, AMT decided it would be cool to engrave the plug wires right across the tops of the heads. However, the transmission on the pickup engine is wrong for a passenger car, while the AMT-49 Merc transmission is actually quite accurately done. That's easily corrected by cutting the pickup tranny off the bellhousing, and replacing that with the unit cut off the AMT engine (in exactly the same place, of course). The aircleaner, and possibly the carburetor from the AMT kit are correct for the station wagon.

I believe the water pumps on the passenger car and truck engines are different, too.

The ones in the 48 Ford would be more correct?

Edited by fumi

• 3 weeks later...

When fitting the kit whitewall tires up on my Revell '49 Mercury wagon, I noticed that there is lettering on them!!!! Yup, that's right: FIRESTONE, with the Firestone "F" shield, and almost readable "Gum-Dipped" lettering.

So, it does appear that tire lettering is back at Revell.

Art

• 10 months later...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83067&hl=%2Brevell+%2B49+%2Bmercury+%2Bwagon

The search function should bring up a few "built" threads.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97152&hl=%2B49+%2Bmercury+%2Bwagon

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96506&hl=%2B49+%2Bmercury+%2Bwagon

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89180&hl=%2B49+%2Bmercury+%2Bwagon

It is a nice kit, requires some careful sanding on the right rear "C" pillar to fix a minor molding issue but other than that is based on Revell's 49 Mercury custom (another great kit).

It's a good kit worth picking up. It can not be built totally stock though. It's completely stock, except for the engine. There your stuck with the Cadillac motor from Revell's '49 Custom Merc kit. But that's my only complaint. And that ain't much of a complaint for me, at that.

Scott