Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Strippers - What to Use?

Is it necessary to remove all of the old paint before priming. I have been trying to strip a body using Power Clean and some other methods and it has removed some of the paint but not all. Can I sand the body smooth then just use Tamiya primer and spray over the paint that remains? I usually start with Tamiya grey primer sand then finish up with Tamiya white primer.

Is it necessary to remove all of the old paint before priming. I have been trying to strip a body using Power Clean and some other methods and it has removed some of the paint but not all. Can I sand the body smooth then just use Tamiya primer and spray over the paint that remains? I usually start with Tamiya grey primer sand then finish up with Tamiya white primer.

i dont see why not i use to do that, and i found a way to strip waterbased airbrush paint off, my duster had rustoleum clear on it so i sanded it with 220 till the clear was basiclly off then soaked the model in water over night then the paint got loose and you could just scrape it off with your finger nail then i sanded down the whole body with 600 and now its readdy for primer also you can use a toothbrush for hard to get places.

I never cared for brake fluid. Here are the ones I've used with some success:

1. Super Clean (although they seem to have reformulated it, last time I tried it, it was SLOW.)

2. Fume-free oven cleaner works as well as the fumes-included, and doesn't stink nearly as bad. Also much safer for you. Yes, you will need to use a couple of shots, but it works, and is the preferred method for stripping resin.

3. Whestley's Bleche-Wite whitewall cleaner. A little slow, but works well. As it's not as caustic, it's also very safe for most models.

4. Ammonia. Stinks to high heaven, but effective, make sure to use it in a sealed box to both prevent evaporation and fumigating your house!

5. I haven't tried alcohol, but may next; I have some very stubborn paint, and from what's being said, it seems to remove almost everything.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard this stuff works wonders with stripping paint and chrome. How long does it take to work? and does it remove all paints or certan ones?

It seems to work fine on all paints so far,but to be honest,my goto stripper is Super clean.I found a place online that sells a commercial version of DPD,but it's only economically feasible by the case. It does work great on black paint that I typically find on chassis.

my wife just found some in our local Walmart the other day and bought the three bottles that they had. the kicker to this? the lady in Walmart asked he if she was making "METH" with it :huh: that's a new one on me. you know model builders, once it was tube glue, now i guess we've all graduated to meth :)

only in Walmart and only in America

WOW! I guess nowadays, most ppl will try to make some serious drugs out of everything they can find!! :blink:

But Jeez, whats the world coming to!!!!

Anyway, Can you find this stuff at say... a local super market? I'd rather go there rather than to a place where they ask if U R gonna use it 4 drugz!! LOL!

Hey guys, how is the DPD used? I have never heard of it but, might like to try it. Do I just soak the parts in it as I would with suer clean? Any steps in the name of safety?

Pour the stuff in a small container and just dip your model or part in it. The smaller the container, the less you will waste. You should also be able to use it more than once if you seal it after use. :D

• 5 months later...

A while back some of you may know I bought a MPC '76 Plymouth Roadrunner kit for $10, it included a built up, the uncut decal sheet and the instructions, something about this particular car jumped out at me and said "buy me, restore me" so the saga began with disassembly, were I found myself lucky, the builder had used almost no glue on some parts, but a tube on other parts :D . I realized at this point the Orange peeled, black over sprayed, 35 year-old Testors red enamel body needed stripped, for this and a few other parts I simply went to my local grocery store and bought a can of oven cleaner, the store brand nothing fancy, it was about $1.75 before tax (13% here), brought it home, and left it with the car, when I got home from doing a bit of work up north today, I simply took a plastic container, placed the body inside it, shook the can and sprayed the body well with it, keep in mind while doing this you'll need a either disposable mask or paint respirator, you DO NOT want to breathe this in, nor do you want it to touch your skin, I advise rubber gloves, either surgical style or dish washing gloves (the large yellow ones). After about 10 minutes, I once again simply used one of my old tooth brushes I keep in my shop and scrubbed the body off then rinsed it with water.

FILE0311.jpg

Below are my results. Before and After (keep in mind any places that paint still exists are area's where glue was present in globs)

FILE0316.jpg

FILE0702.jpg

FILE0317.jpg

FILE0700.jpg

FILE0318.jpg

FILE0701.jpg

FILE0319.jpg

FILE0703.jpg

FILE0695.jpg

Edited by Nick Winter

FILE0698.jpg

FILE0705.jpg

FILE0706.jpg

List of required items:

Plastic Container: With or Without lid

Oven Cleaner: brand really dosen't matter, but if using Easy-Off make sure it's the Yellow labeled can, the Blue label can be pretty much useless to you

Painted parts to be stripped

Old tooth brush or semi-stiff brush

Disposable mask or paint respirator

Surgical style or dish washing gloves (the large yellow ones)

Water Source to rinse foam

I hope this can help someone.

Nick

He bud this helps me out loads I was wanting to redo a few glue bombs does ithave to be foam style? As I'm in uk font know of we have easy off. Al go have a look this week when we do the shopping make out I want to clean the oven..... Hahaha B) cheers again

He bud this helps me out loads I was wanting to redo a few glue bombs does ithave to be foam style? As I'm in uk font know of we have easy off. Al go have a look this week when we do the shopping make out I want to clean the oven..... Hahaha B) cheers again

As far as I know you do need the Foam type.

Also forgot to mention that you Should do this in a well ventilated area unless you want your whole home to smell like oven cleaner.

Nick

Really awesome stuff!!! I find it works much faster and is safer than DOT-3. Had a '70 camaro kit that was missing the body, but then I realized I had one from a junk build many years ago.

So I found the oldie camaro body that was painted with Colorplace Kelly Green n the bare body that crazed badly, then cleared with Krylon Krystal Krappy Klear and made things worse. So I let it sit in the purple bath for a day or so, and the body was gray plastic again with no damage to it whatsoever from the paint!

I've soaked bodys in the Purple pond that were painted with Testors, Tamiya, Rustoluem, Valspar, Dutchboy, Sears Primer, and Colorplace paints and they came off very quickly with no ill effects at all (even takes off bottle painted material no prob).

This is a very good alternitive to Easy off oven cleaner, which I don't like using as a paint stripper because it's smells AWFULL!! and dosen't work as well as DOT-3 and PP.

The Dollar Store (Dollar Tree) sells their own water-based cleaner that I've found to be every bit as good as Purple Power, Simple Green, etc.

It's yellow in color, called, "La's Totally Awesome".

For the unbelievable low price of a buck, you get the best spray bottle I've ever found, with little grippy ridges at the top that keep the bottle from sliding out of your hand when wet, filled with 20 fl. oz. of cleaner. The refill bottles are even larger, but don't include the sprayer.

I've been using one of the sprayers for about six years now and it still sprays as good as it did when new.

I've used the cleaner to de-grease automotive parts, as well as household items.

The Dollar Store (Dollar Tree) sells their own water-based cleaner that I've found to be every bit as good as Purple Power, Simple Green, etc.

It's yellow in color, called, "La's Totally Awesome".

For the unbelievable low price of a buck, you get the best spray bottle I've ever found, with little grippy ridges at the top that keep the bottle from sliding out of your hand when wet, filled with 20 fl. oz. of cleaner. The refill bottles are even larger, but don't include the sprayer.

I've been using one of the sprayers for about six years now and it still sprays as good as it did when new.

I've used the cleaner to de-grease automotive parts, as well as household items.

That's good to know, but sadly i don't have a dollar tree near me.