Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Strippers - What to Use?

I have several models from garage sales that I want to re-use. Any tips on model paint removal? I think these are all oil enamel like testors paint.
Somewhere I read about having a dip tank or bucket for this, that would be best since I will have several to do. What is used in this method?
Thanks for any help!
Roy

Roy,

I asked the same question the other day to a fellow.his response,

Pour brake cleaner in a bag,place model inside,shake it up.then use a small q-tip and toothpick to get down in the nooks and cranny's.then wash real good with westley's bleach white for tires.

I have not used or tried this method,but he swears by it.

Anyone else ever hear of this?

Never tried brake cleaner, but I have used Castrol Super Clean with great success, and have used brake fluid and easy-off oven cleaner. Whatever method you choose, please be smart about it. The Super Clean and Easy off will leave a nasty, slimey feeling on the tips of your fingers...that slimey feeling IS the tips of your fingers!! Wear gloves, use in a well ventilated area, and wear eye protection. Using your paint respirator (you do use a respirator when painting, right?) is also advised.

Brian

• Like 2

As Brian noted, Castrol Super Clean is very effective, as is brake fluid. In my opinion, those 2 are more effective than oven cleaner (and smell better also). I've never tried it, but apparently 90% rubbing alcohol will remove some of the more difficult Tamiya paints.

The best I have found is Poly Scale's Easy Lift Off

It takes off everything, but is very harsh on plastic if you let it sit for more than a couple of days

I would recommend checking body or parts every day, twice a day would be better, to see if softening plastic.

I had an Aston Martin DB4 I painted with lacquar, then two-stage Dupont Chroma Clear (which is the hardest paint to remove ever) and the ELO worked, but it took a while.

I soaked the body for a day, scrubbed it with hard brush, place back in container.

ELO is expensive, but it works when no other will

Rubbing Alcohol 90% or higher works really good also.

• Like 1

I have used Super Clean and Simple Green with great results. Oven cleaner will work but the fumes are super nasty. Simple green is also good for stripping chrome.

Just wear some latex gloves, glasses and a respirator so you can keep on modeling!

Mike

• Like 1

ALWAYS wear breathing and hand protection when working with anything that removes paint. Any chemical can soak into your pores or enter your bloodstream through inhalation. Wear good rubber or latex gloves and a NIOSH/OSHA approved respirator whose cartridges are certified for use in hazardous vapors situations.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH - TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH AND LIVE TO BUILD MORE MODELS!

Simple green removes paint? I never tried that.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will try some of these ideas and let you know how they work for me. I have about 12 cars to strip. Got them at a garage sale for less then $1.00 each.

Thanks!

I've used "Westley's Blech Wite" tire cleaner with good success over the years. I've even removed HOK after a few days in the "bath"!

And although I have yet to try it, I've heard lots of folks using the new Dawn Power Dissolver with great results.

But make sure to follow the safetly precautions described. Gloves. eye protection, etc. are a must.

i've never had a problem using good ole' brake fluid..... strips any paint, and won't hurt the plastic because it's designed to work with plastic bits in the brake system, i've left bodies for days [read 'forgot'] without any softness, weirdness, et al.....and it won't EAT your fingers!!!! 8)

i used to have great success with castrol super clean but i think they must have changed the formula, at least here in california. it wasnt available for awhile and then reappeared in a different container. i bought two jugs of it and its just not the same. it doesnt appear to budge krylon nor tamiya paints. however it does still seem to work well with testors model master and ive dunked some old dinky toys ive restored in it and it still removed like literally quarter inch thick paint jobs.

problem is, i havent found anything that works like the old stuff did. i think i still have a jug or two of the original in my garage, maybe i should use that and keep the new stuff for cleaning real car parts or something.

or maybe im just imagining the formula change. anyone else notice this?

• 3 weeks later...

Super Clean is no longer marketed by Castrol. As someone pointed out it was off the market for a while and now is marketed by Super Clean investments or something like that. Having used this stuff for years I think it is still the same formula. I will post pics of my 60 Ford later on to show the results!!

The best I have found is Poly Scale's Easy Lift Off

It takes off everything, but is very harsh on plastic if you let it sit for more than a couple of days

I would recommend checking body or parts every day, twice a day would be better, to see if softening plastic.

I had an Aston Martin DB4 I painted with lacquar, then two-stage Dupont Chroma Clear (which is the hardest paint to remove ever) and the ELO worked, but it took a while.

I soaked the body for a day, scrubbed it with hard brush, place back in container.

ELO is expensive, but it works when no other will

Rubbing Alcohol 90% or higher works really good also.

Polly Scale Easy Lift Off is my favorite paint stripper. Try putting some in a spray bottle. Just spritz it on the offending model and let it do its thing.

I :D use brake fluid in a tupperware container big enough to submerge the item you need to strip, leave over night and rinse off all traces of paint. will not attack the plastic of the model and can be reused over and over, when it gets to dirty strain through a paint strainer and contiue to use..... have used this metod 100s of times no problem just nice clean bodies ready for primer then pain

:roll:

Tom

• Like 1

> ready for primer then pain

dont know if that was on purpose but it describes my paint experiences exactly!

a friend of mine has a body shop with a paint booth inside it. over the door to the shop he has a sign:

"More On?"

pretty well says it all!

The brake fluid really works great! I have cleaned 4 cars now and it removed all paint. 2 cars must have had a different type paint, they took 2 days but still came very clean with no damage to the plastic. I am using a plastic 12 pack cooler for the tank, the lid seals well and has a latch.

It is time to strain it, the brake fluid looks ugly now.

I have been working outside with gloves etc. the fumes are bad from brake fluid, but no problems if you are careful.

Thanks everyone!

Castrol super clean isn't avalible in Australia, I figured it was engine degreaser and my mechanic was throwing half a bottle of degreaser out so I figuered I would give it a try, it works great but I did a lot of experimenting first, I never acctully melted anything but I think I came close after 4 days, it may not be Castrol super clean that works it might be Degreasers that work in general, the only thing that happens with what I use is on certain colour paint (red) it stains the degreaser, so it needs to be thrown out, but colours like white seem to be ok

Regards Mal

You may be able to find a product call Purple Power in AU. Seems to be similar to Super Clean.Super Clean is more of a heavy duty soap than anything! Most degreasers have some petro based stuff.

BTW usually the paint will "settle out" of the SC in a few days. This allows for reusing most of the stuff without staining. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Strip A Kit. You brush it on and let it sit for about 30 minutes, give it a light brushing with a tooth brush and rinse off. I strip and restore a lot of older kits. Some have two or three layers of brush paint. This stuff works every time and has never damaged the plastic. It is thick so you can spot strip small areas and repaint your mistakes.

I am not a shill for the company! This stuff is just plain good. You can get it from Hanger 3, POB 361 Arlee MT 59821-0361

• 1 year later...

I've got a couple of bodies that I want to re-paint. I have been using "Scalecoat II wash away" as a paint remover. Not very effective and pretty pricey, $9.95 for one pint, which hardly covers a body. Any recommendations for something that will zap the paint without zapping the plastic? :rolleyes:

I've got a couple of bodies that I want to re-paint. I have been using "Scalecoat II wash away" as a paint remover. Not very effective and pretty pricey, $9.95 for one pint, which hardly covers a body. Any recommendations for something that will zap the paint without zapping the plastic? ;)

Go to WalMart and look for a purple gallon jug in the automotive section, It reads Super Clean. Wear gloves!!!!!! It does not warp the plastic, I have a body in mine thats been in there for over a month,( I just dont feel like putting the gloves on and scrubbing it.)

What you do is take an old container, I have an old display case turned upside down, and fill it up enought to submerse the body, and let it set overnight or however long you want, anf then take it a give it a rub down with an old toothbrush, or your wife's if there is one handy, you know those electric tooth brushes come in handy :rolleyes: , Just kidding Ani. Make sure you wash the body with dish soap to get all the chemicals off. It also works good for stripping chrome and cleaning out spray can nozzles,

Hope this helps.

Edited by jones_clayton