Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early Christmas Present I didn't ask for.

Porscheman

About 2 hours ago I was working on my new Shelby convertilbe, when I dropped my hobby knife. I thought for sure it fell on the floor. I got my flash light out to look under the chair to find it, but it wasn't there. So I sat down to try to think where it went, it was at that moment I realized where it was :blink: I sat on it, 4 stitches later and a lot of people laughing at the hospital.

Just thought you need a little humor at my expense, I know my wife is still laughing.

Merry Christmas,

Al

did they let you keep the little tray and tools -

picked up a plastic tray with a some hospital grade scissors, tweezers and a sugical clamp last summer...

no need for details on how they were obtained...

I didn't see the tools, because I was laying on my stomach the whole time and I still am. :(

Sorry to hear that Al! I regret to inform you that our club insurance doesn't cover that!

But you can sue... eXacto, Revell and the chair manufacturer...

IMG_3116-vi.jpg

Here's an old draftsman's trick. We would add these little masking tape wings to our tools to keep them from rolling off the drafting board. I still do it today with my knives. Photo is my favorite knife... the cushioned kind!

I haven't stabbed myself significantly, but I do roll my chair over the parts that I dropped!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Dropped one in my lap one time. :wacko: ONLY ONE TIME is all it takes. :blink: BTW it was close but no injury. :)

I've come close to that a couple times, but the worst is when I had my Patriot R/C Body Reamer slide out of the cap and land point down on the floor by my right foot. It's a rather heafty toolwith a large, anodized aluminum handle and a pointy and very sharp tip that would have buried itself in my foot of it had been just an inch or so farther to the right.

Sorry to hear that Al! I regret to inform you that our club insurance doesn't cover that!

But you can sue... eXacto, Revell and the chair manufacturer...

IMG_3116-vi.jpg

Here's an old draftsman's trick. We would add these little masking tape wings to our tools to keep them from rolling off the drafting board. I still do it today with my knives. Photo is my favorite knife... the cushioned kind!

I haven't stabbed myself significantly, but I do roll my chair over the parts that I dropped!

You know what..I think I remember my drafting teacher showing us that in high school to contain the pencils.

Not a bad idea.

Charlie Larkin

My dearly departed friend Dave Dickash once had his running Dremel drop from his workbench. It came THAT CLOSE to ruining more than his shorts, if you know what I mean!

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap Al, but on the upside you reminded me of someone I miss….. great guy, helluva modeler. :(

Just sitting here nodding my head....

been there done that, got the Neosporine and the Bandaid.

Hand injuries only tho ...

no tushie .. seat pads ...posterior ...backend ..etc. etc. so far.

I hate getting a shot with a needle , I can't imagine a # 11 blade.

No stitches for me "yet", although, mighty close. I was wearing shorts one night & dropped both the handle & blade. It went straight down & landed straight up in my right thigh, a little over an inch away from what would have been a whole lot more than pain :o.

Edited by forthlin

The "anti-roll" trick works well. Wish I had been using it before the X-Acto knife, (with brand new blade) rolled off the table between my thighs. My cat like reflexes insured I caught it in my left thigh six inches above the knee, buried just past the knurled part of the chuck. Wife thought it was rather humorous as did the entire ER staff.

So, I must have figured that one needed topped. While using one of those saw blades on my Dremel hand piece running at slightly over 60 bazillion RPM's it sorta kicked back into my left ring finger tip. Making a rather clean slit up through the fingernail and stopping almost to the joint, nice white glisteney bone right out there to see. Wife's first question was, "did you hit your wedding ring?".... Then that irritated laughter over another late night trip to the ER. Same (female) Doctor, who remembered me from my knifing incident. Doctor told, me she couldn't stitch it up so she superglued everything back together, that everything should heal up ok, it did. She even gave me two extra superglue kits, telling me she thought that I'd need them in the future! (Haven't used them yet!)

I haven't had a major hobby injury (yet!) but all this reminds me of the time I went up the carpeted stairs in my old house, barefoot. I felt a sharp pain and looked at the bottom of my foot. There I saw a pierced ear earing with the full post embedded in my heel! The worse part? Having to pull it out!

All three of the females in the house caught hell for leaving earings on the stairs. And of course none of them admitted the offending one was theirs!

Al, sorry to hear about your Christmas tragedy. We've all got plenty of battle scars from self-inflicted X-Acto wounds, but I sure never got one THERE! Be prepared to take some good-natured ribbing from the JSMCC guys next month. Oh yeah, and my best wishes for a prosperous and productive 2014 go out to you and the missus.