Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lil Coffin - now 'Under Glass'

maltsr

Haven't been building much lately, so I've started using these threads as an incentive to keep things moving.

I've previously built the Lil Coffin kit OOB, but the wheel/tyre combo is so good a set was donated to another project. Our club is having a 'Hemi' night so I thought I would combine some Pegasus tyres/rims with a spare Lil Coffin kit I had lying around. To keep with the modern theme, colour will be the new Forest Green from Tamiya, as used on Aston Martins.

Another suggestion for a theme night was 'Sacrilege', so I guess this would qualify for that theme too ;)

009_zpsabbe2968.jpg

002_zps6df9f597.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Can't say I'm all that big on those modern wheels but that's some artist's prerogative I would say...but I am very impressed with your OOB build there. I have one of these in the purple molded color (the new reissue is white I think) and I gave up on thinking of building it due to extreme warpage of the body which I would assume was present on your copy too. Did it straighten up once the top insert and/or frame were attached? sure looks like that's the case by looking at your two builds, they look great!

jb

Can't say I'm all that big on those modern wheels but that's some artist's prerogative I would say...but I am very impressed with your OOB build there. I have one of these in the purple molded color (the new reissue is white I think) and I gave up on thinking of building it due to extreme warpage of the body which I would assume was present on your copy too. Did it straighten up once the top insert and/or frame were attached? sure looks like that's the case by looking at your two builds, they look great!

jb

Thanks jb, I must confess that the photo doesn't do the warpage justice :rolleyes:. I built it many years ago and I'm sure it's got worse with age!

P.S. If you're not going to build it, I'd be more than happy to relieve you of the wheels/tyres LOL ;)

Edited by maltsr

Got some work done on the chassis, now painted and lowered slightly from 'stock'. Had to raise the upper shock mounts at the rear, also drilled the rear axle to accept a parts box metal axle. Plenty of sanding to remove mold lines from the body and a bit of wrestling with the whole kit to minimise warpage. So far, all four tyres touch the ground :unsure: and yes, Ray, it is a fine chassis - might have to get the recent reissue :rolleyes:

006_zpsc46b3f56.jpg

001_zps2f526554.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Spent quite some time filling sink marks on the 'running boards' and a long one above the rear grille opening, and also blending the nosepiece together. Does anyone know if the recent reissue is molded better, ie fewer sinkmarks and less warpage? Just applied the first coats of paint, which appears bluer in the pics than real life, true colour is closer to the earlier chassis pic. I was a bit worried about applying paint from a spraycan into all those nooks and crannies but think I got away with it, mainly thanks to Mr. Tamiya's excellent paint products ;). Will let this air off for a few days before clearcoating with Tamiya lacquer.

002_zps25849a81.jpg

004_zps10cf5c2a.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Thanks for the comments guys.

Looks great. Awesome idea all around. I really like the tires on the front wheels. Which pegusus wheels are they?

I've had these in my parts box for a while, but I'm pretty sure they are 19'' and 23'' Chrome DZ's.

Getting ready to complete this build, but here are the two main sub-assemblies prior to gluing together. I had to change the front tyres because I had previously narrowed the front rims and didn't do such a great job of narrowing the tyres to match :(. Then I had to replace the rear tyres to match the profile of the new front pair :mellow: , managed to squeeze the rears from the AMT '32 Phantom Vicky on to the Pegasus rims with the aid of some hot water and elbow grease. Needless to say, some modification to the already built suspension was required :angry:.

002_zpsc2cb71c2.jpg

Got the body polished, hung the doors and fitted the (warped) interior parts (more cursing) to get here:

006_zpsf09b9dcf.jpg

Hope to wrap this up today.