Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you paint the two-tone front wheels on Dbl Drg Fiat?

Hello everyone! Merry Christmas! I recieved one of my gifts to myself today! The AMT Double Dragster Tin Ed.! It is incredible and none of the problems with valve covers, or , tires that I've read about, everything looks flawless. Coolest kit I've ever owned. Thank you Santa!

I want to paint the wheels the way they are on the box art and elsewhere in the kit. I've never tired to do a two-tone (silver/chrome rim with gray spokes and center) spoke wheel before, and so far have only come up with (I found nothing on line) some kind of template to fit over the rim and then one for the center. Will this method produce good solid lines? Is there a tried and true method for doing this? Help!

Gene

Here's how I did mine. Nothing fancy, I just stripped off the chrome plating. sprayed them with Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer and brush painted the spokes with Testors Burnt Metal Metalizer. The hub cap is a pin head. The rears also were stripped of chrome plating and finished in Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer.

DSCF1191-web.jpg

LOL, well I know I can use a paint brush, duh. I'm trying to find a way that produces more stable results. I think I will investigate the compass cutter.

Thanks you guys and Merry Christmas!

I love my compass cutter and find lots of uses for it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year back at ya'

• 2 weeks later...

I have also used circle templates, found in the artists and drawing sections of a craft store. You can use these templates for spray painting the white walls on the tires as well, as make circlular masks download_zpsdc68c9ba.jpg

I just mask off the unused areas, leaving the size I am using open.