Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi Cuda just for fun.

Skypower

Hi all my name is Bob and this is my first attempt at building a model, well at least since I was a kid 40 plus years ago.

My wife bought me a Cuda to build for my birthday, and well if you know me then you know things are starting to get out of hand already. I will try and post up some pics to get you up to speed on my craziness.

Any and all advice and comments are welcome I truly am a newb at this stuff and would like to learn so I'm sure I will have lots

of questions along the way.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bob

This is where it started she bought me 1 model and a tube of glue. Then it began. lol

post-12897-0-13655500-1388093887_thumb.j

Well I couldn't build it the way it came so I had to buy a couple more models to steal parts.

The 55 pro mod was a good start and then the 69 Hemi Dart just for good measure, also needed some paints.

I guess I have to learn how to reduce the pics size I will continue once I get that figured out.

Bob

I moved from 1 tv tray to 3 also added some tools.

post-12897-0-86344800-1388094897_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

I then started reading more of all your guys builds and knew that I needed more supplies so I found a Hobby store that carried evergreen and bought some

tubing, rod, and sheet styrene just to have around incase I get stupid while putting this simple little model together. I also needed some more paints, sand paper, paint brushes, etc. etc. etc.

While at the hobby store I found some larger wheels and tires for the back of the car and a mag for the Hemi along with an injector so I bought them just incase things grow as they usually do in my world.

I have cut up the 55 pro mod chassis and the Cuda chassis and sort of melded them together also decided to make the frontend a strut instead of stock shock setup.

post-12897-0-90335700-1388096113_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

Wife is a trooper though she got me this for Christmas. I also got a cordless dremel, but I bought that myself a couple weeks ago told her she could count it towards my Christmas but I needed it then rather than wait. I love my wife she sure puts up with a lot of my craziness.

post-12897-0-41176000-1388096350_thumb.j

Bob I would say that your hooked on building now. I started in the the spare bed room building 4 years ago and then took over my wife's work out room that she was not using. Get your work area set up where you can access all your tools easily and it will add to your building experience and enjoyment. For posting your pictures use the IMG code link it will post the pictures

Looking forward to see more progress on the Cuda.

Thanks for the info and yes I am working on getting my work area setup. Will be getting a table top drill press and the dremel stand next week when my 25% off cupon is good. I haven't convinced the wife I should have a mill and lath yet. I got a lot more learning to do before I splurge on those.

This is kind of where I'm at now, mostly working on the chassis, I need to get some 060 and 080 rod to make the cage before I can move on. Lots of learning to do.

P.S. if there are any tools or tricks you guys think I need to know about please speak up.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

post-12897-0-02619300-1388098826_thumb.j

Thanks but I sure have a lot to learn.

Question? Anyone know where I can get a blower, pulleys and intake, maybe also some better valve covers for my Hemi. It's

1/24 scale out of the revell 71 Hemi Cuda kit. Motor is quite a bit bigger than 1/25 scale motors I have in my other kits.

Some bits I have been working on. First attempt at scratch building something. Built the seat and starting on the headers. Also tried figuring out the plug wire thing you guys do. Lots of learning, my painting skill are terrible. But I'm having fun.post-12897-0-63611900-1388461993_thumb.j Still got lots of sanding and grinding to do.

post-12897-0-92135500-1388462172_thumb.j

post-12897-0-45311100-1388462201_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

Well I just want this one done so I started throwing some color on stuff tonight. I think I started trying to put to much into this one since its my first build. I think it's ok but I need to figure out what to use for body filler since it's hard to apply liquid plastic evenly. Motor is coming along I still have to strip the carbs and paint them any suggestions so I can get the correct look for them. Also what's the best way to strip paint from the plastic, I painted the dash without priming it and it looks orange and now the interior is more red so I need to redo the dash. Any suggestions on this stuff would be great.

Any tips or comments on my build would be great as I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks Bob

post-12897-0-37919400-1388721490_thumb.j

post-12897-0-97729300-1388721507_thumb.j

post-12897-0-20672100-1388721523_thumb.j

Motor looks great. To strip paint and chrome, you can use purple power. Make sure you get the heavy duty version and wear gloves. If that wont take the chrome off, easy off oven cleaner will do it.

Edited by o-man