Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another old build.....IDEAL kit '57 Continental MkII

traditional

Still on my nostalgia kick, I decided to photograph my decades old (late '70s) build of IDEAL's Continental Mk II. It's a large (probably 1/16 or so) curbside model that I believe was introduced in the early '60s since it used a one-piece body rather than the typical mid-fifties multi-piece bodies such as Revell's.
Paint was automotive lacquer with Pactra chrome-silver trim (Testor's chrome paint was 'junk' back then) and the model was kept fresh and clean in a displaycase.

PC280748_zps3e4f9d05.jpg

PC280749_zps14336215.jpg

PC280750_zpsacf52f6a.jpg

PC280751_zps1a144dca.jpg

Edited by traditional

VERY nice!

I do wish someone would do this in 1/25. I'd buy one without giving it a second thought. One of the best-proportioned, well-designed cars to ever come out of this country.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I totally agree. Strange to think that 10 years later, the same design team was adding tacky 'opera windows', Landau irons, and puffy padded tops to their luxury brands. For a while there, the American manufacturers lost their way.

Charlie, I totally agree. Strange to think that 10 years later, the same design team was adding tacky 'opera windows', Landau irons, and puffy padded tops to their luxury brands. For a while there, the American manufacturers lost their way.

What a beautiful build! I wasn't aware this kit could look so good! As far as the quote above, I'm not so sure that we lost our way. I think the 70's was a classic era of design that no one else was doing at the time. Looking back at them now, they scream totally American. We can't say that about today's designs.