Model Cars Magazine Forum

8th Annual 24 Hour Build January 25th and 26th!

Terry Sumner

Almost time for the annual 24 hour build event again brothers of the sprue! Starts a noon on Saturday the 25th and ends at noon on Sunday the 26th....same times as the 24 hours of Daytona race.

The rules are loose but here they are:

Start at noon on Sat and end at noon on Sun
New or unstarted kit. No quick build snap kits.
Allowed to glue up to 4 pieces to body ahead of time
Must paint build
Post pics as you go along
Most important thing is to have fun.

Bob Boggs has a Facebook page up for the event here.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/455951714469809/

I have a few guys coming over for the build up in the second floor of Manland, my wood shop. I'll have a number of workbenches all set up along with plenty of compressed air and spray booth. I also plan to have a photography area set up for photos along with my dehydrator too.

Got a big screen TV to set up for the race and maybe the Keurig too...

I ended up doing this thing by myself last year and didn't finish my build due to paint problems so I'm giving it another go this year!

Anyone else?

I want to do this too. No other model builders up here to team up with, so I will fly solo. I have just set up an unused upstairs bathroom as a paint shop for the winter. I still have to go easy when the weather is really cold, but as long as it is above zero, I should be able to participate. No dehydrator though, so I will have to use Tamiya Laquers, and Createx with hair dryers instead.

Looking through the stash for the right kit for this build. Is anything okay for this build? I was thinking about something like the Slingster, or half of a Double Dragster kit. Maybe a '25 T kit. Otherwise, I have a '72 Cutlass and a 66 El Camino that would both be fun builds.

I'd love to join in this, but man, would I get the ol stink eye from the wife. "So you're telling me you will be spending most of the weekend building a model by yourself? ................(awkward silence)...................Fine, do whatever you want."

And you guys know that last comment is not a good thing.

Go for it guys. It's an interesting challenge. I did it solo last year and will do so again this year. You learn a bit about model building and yourself in the process.

First, the rules are that it has to be a glue kit with engine. So find something not too complex, that will go together well and most of all is expendable. Last year I chose the Miss Deal Funny Car because I always wanted to build one, AND I had 3-4 of them in my stash. You will need to work fast, so no complicated stuff like adding scratch built parts or body conversions. Throw caution to the wind and build like a sixth grader!

I did scope out my build and familiarized myself with the build ahead of time so I had a plan. Friends warned me about a few build issues with the kit.I started my car at noon and immediately took everything off the trees and cleaned up all my parts. I didn't go contest quality crazy, I just flattened out all the mold marks and ejector pins. Then I did the base assembly of things that would be put together prior to painting. And then I primed everything. This is where you start to notice how long a build actually takes. At six pm I only had piles of primed parts and assemblies.

In the evening I got everything sprayed in a very systematic fashion. Everything black at once, then moved on to the next color. While stuff was drying, I used a second kit to figure out fit and mock ups of assemblies. The second it also afforded me the luxury of stealing parts I screwed up. I didn't have to back track and fix stuff that would cost me time. I'll deal with fixing them on my next build of that kit. I wasn't as cautious as I usually am, and built quicker as a result. I usually drill out and pin everything together but I figured I didn't have time and glued everything. This bit me, as some of the pieces, like the roll cage, didn't want to stay together. So I back tracked and pinned some things. By midnight I had a rolling chassis. I did wire my engine, but used a prewired distributor to make it quicker.

In the wee hours everything started coming together. I got my body finished the way I wanted it. And then disaster struck about 5am. I was getting goofy tired and dropped my body. My reaction was to grab for it and pull it towards my chest. Well, I broke both A pillars. After a brief panic, I realized that both would be under BMF so I added straight pin strengtheners and kept going. All fixed and sitting nice by six am, so I figured I was as done as my attention span at that time of the project would allow, so I called it done and took my final photos for the group.

What wasn't done? I had been warned that the exhaust system was difficult so I chose to leave it off. The blower top in both my kits was sunk in, so I left it off. I did the final fixes and some additional weathering during that week.

What did I learn? To plan a project and work systematically. I've always been a slow builder, working on an assembly at a time. That necessitated many prep and spray sessions with the same color paints etc. So with this build, I got all the parts done in an organized fashion. While I don't want to build at this pace everyday, I do notice I'm more efficient now. I got a bunch more stuff done this past year than in any other.

Was it fun? You bet! There was a challenge to see if I could indeed build a model in 24 hours. And I did it! This year I will be doing a Lindberg A100 pickup. I am just finishing my A100 resin van, so I'm familiar with the kits idiosyncrasies and would like a pickup to sit with the van. And I have a couple of them!

So everyone can play, just choose a kit, sign up and lets do it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I'd love to join in this, but man, would I get the ol stink eye from the wife. "So you're telling me you will be spending most of the weekend building a model by yourself? ................(awkward silence)...................Fine, do whatever you want."

Rob, you must work for the NSA and have a microphone in my house. This is an exact quote - or at least it will be before the weekend is over.

But you gotta tell me, how did you know about the "Ol' Stinkeye?" You got cameras here too?

I may not finish, but I am gonna have fun tryin'.

And you guys know that last comment is not a good thing.

Rob, it will be worth it! :rolleyes:

My wife is usually that same way, but somehow she managed to support me in this. She saw the challenge I was up against and checked my progress from time to time. She even fed me! Maybe pointing out that at Gary's house a bunch of guys came over and the wives actually cooked them breakfast had a bit to do with it.

No wife, so no stinkeye here... But I am taking care of an elderly relative, and staying in their house. If the weather is pretty nice, I can paint in an upstairs bathroom that is going to be remodeled this spring. Still deciding what to build. I my just pick something from the stash at the last minute. I have lots to choose from right now. I could pull out a Pacer or Gremlin and make a "close enough" box stock build. I have several old NASCAR kits from the '90s. (I would have to choose a single color paint scheme and really build fast for one of those) I have some old Monogram musclecars, Lots of street rod kits... Whatever I pick, it should be a lot of fun.

I'm not planning to do a 24 hour build but here's a suggestion for you guys with spouses or partners-have them come along and have their own get together.They would be able to do what they'd like to do-like a 24 hour Lifetime Channel marathon or something.

Go for it guys. It's an interesting challenge. I did it solo last year and will do so again this year. You learn a bit about model building and yourself in the process.

First, the rules are that it has to be a glue kit with engine. So find something not too complex, that will go together well and most of all is expendable. Last year I chose the Miss Deal Funny Car because I always wanted to build one, AND I had 3-4 of them in my stash. You will need to work fast, so no complicated stuff like adding scratch built parts or body conversions. Throw caution to the wind and build like a sixth grader!

I did scope out my build and familiarized myself with the build ahead of time so I had a plan. Friends warned me about a few build issues with the kit.I started my car at noon and immediately took everything off the trees and cleaned up all my parts. I didn't go contest quality crazy, I just flattened out all the mold marks and ejector pins. Then I did the base assembly of things that would be put together prior to painting. And then I primed everything. This is where you start to notice how long a build actually takes. At six pm I only had piles of primed parts and assemblies.

In the evening I got everything sprayed in a very systematic fashion. Everything black at once, then moved on to the next color. While stuff was drying, I used a second kit to figure out fit and mock ups of assemblies. The second it also afforded me the luxury of stealing parts I screwed up. I didn't have to back track and fix stuff that would cost me time. I'll deal with fixing them on my next build of that kit. I wasn't as cautious as I usually am, and built quicker as a result. I usually drill out and pin everything together but I figured I didn't have time and glued everything. This bit me, as some of the pieces, like the roll cage, didn't want to stay together. So I back tracked and pinned some things. By midnight I had a rolling chassis. I did wire my engine, but used a prewired distributor to make it quicker.

In the wee hours everything started coming together. I got my body finished the way I wanted it. And then disaster struck about 5am. I was getting goofy tired and dropped my body. My reaction was to grab for it and pull it towards my chest. Well, I broke both A pillars. After a brief panic, I realized that both would be under BMF so I added straight pin strengtheners and kept going. All fixed and sitting nice by six am, so I figured I was as done as my attention span at that time of the project would allow, so I called it done and took my final photos for the group.

What wasn't done? I had been warned that the exhaust system was difficult so I chose to leave it off. The blower top in both my kits was sunk in, so I left it off. I did the final fixes and some additional weathering during that week.

What did I learn? To plan a project and work systematically. I've always been a slow builder, working on an assembly at a time. That necessitated many prep and spray sessions with the same color paints etc. So with this build, I got all the parts done in an organized fashion. While I don't want to build at this pace everyday, I do notice I'm more efficient now. I got a bunch more stuff done this past year than in any other.

Was it fun? You bet! There was a challenge to see if I could indeed build a model in 24 hours. And I did it! This year I will be doing a Lindberg A100 pickup. I am just finishing my A100 resin van, so I'm familiar with the kits idiosyncrasies and would like a pickup to sit with the van. And I have a couple of them!

So everyone can play, just choose a kit, sign up and lets do it!

Tom, are you well ? Your going to tackle one of those kits for a 24 hour build ? Good luck ! I will be watching to see what you come up with. : )

Will wonders never cease. I brought up this CBP to my wife during our anniversary dinner tonight. She said, "That sounds like fun. You should do it. When we get home we'll look at your collection and decide what you should build."

How bout that? 22 years and I still haven't figured her out.

I guess I'm in.

Glad to see this being discussed and welcome aboard Jantrix! I am one of the original 5 builders that started out at Gary Kulchock's house. (I know we are not the "original" ones that came up with the idea, but we are the original group for the current version.) Anyhow, here we are on our 8th year. I have had a blast all 7 previous years. I've managed to stay awake every year! :lol:. I always try to complete my build in the 24 hour period and I usually come very close. I think the main thing is just to have fun. The five of us have been long time friends and look forward to this event every year. I hope anyone who is thinking about joining in does. Those of you who have committed, I hope you have a great time.

We originally just posted to Gary's Fotki site but now it has spilled over to FB. Anyone and everyone is invited to follow along and comment.

I'm looking forward to it. I think I've found a good kit for the build.

My thoughts were

No bodywork

Minimal cleanup of flash, mold lines and ejector marks.

Minimal kitbashing required.

Cool subject.

Previously no plans for the kit.

So I'm 95% certain that I have settled on the AMT '56 Ford hardtop.

One thing I would add to this is that the kit just can't be a simple Snap-Tite style kit, and thanks to Mr. Brolin "cheating" for a number of years it HAS to be painted. But the engine requirement doesn't exist, a number of us are building Porsches this year, and I'm pretty sure all of them are curbsides. I'll be down in WV for the 2nd time, this year at Bobby Boggs' place (I also crashed the party at Gary's house 2 years ago, but that was just to pick up some models I had purchased off him and hang out and watch the build live). Hoping this experience in addition to getting to hang out with friends I've made in this hobby, will kick me out a long standing "started but not completed" rut.

I would also point out this falls on the weekend around my wife's birthday, this year it actually being on Sunday. So if I can get permission to leave the Commonwealth and hang out, you people can surely get away with building a model in your OWN house over the course of 24 Hours.

Edited by niteowl7710

Tom, are you well ? Your going to tackle one of those kits for a 24 hour build ? Good luck ! I will be watching to see what you come up with. : )

Ray, I just finished up my A100 resin van, so I'm very familiar with the kit and it's shortcomings! And I have two extra copies that aren't doing nuthin' so I figure what the hay! I will be building it as a stock pickup and NOT the wheel stander.

The red glossy plastic on the kit does have me a bit worried since I just got stung by red plastic on a Lindberg Caravan kit. So maybe I'll just have to paint it red. That plastic also melted into my drill bits.

I figure I built a Revell Miss Deal Studebaker last year, and that was a hassle of a kit. How much worse can the A100 be?

I am still in on this one. I have the fans set up so I can airbrush, unless the weather is incredibly nasty. I will be flying solo, but I will try to post a few times during the build. I still don't know which kit I will build for this, but I will go with a conventional kit with a body and interior. I have a 72 Cutlass, 69 Nova, 70 Impala, 64 Thunderbolt, 60 Vette, 70 Cuda, 50 Olds, 66 Fairlane 51 Chevy, 72 GMC, 55 Ford Pickup and many other possible kits, I might want something with a bucket style interior, to save a couple of steps in the painting and assembling procedure. Maybe I should use up one of the Monogram kits that I never seem to build any more. (1/24 scale) Whatever I pick, I can thin the stash and get one on the shelf. That is always a good thing.

10 days to go!

Edited by DaveM