Model Cars Magazine Forum

8th Annual 24 Hour Build January 25th and 26th!

Terry Sumner

I think the Monogram indycars were pretty decent. I have a few, but never built one. I saw several completed back in the day, though and they all looked pretty nice. I know the AMT ones were pretty fiddly. The Monogram ones seemed to use a generic chassis with different engines and bodywork IIRC. Seems like the year after all of the indycars came out, the Junior classes around here were full of the Monogram ones. That's usually a good sign. Hopefully somebody else here has actually built one and can pitch in.

What are we all building for this? I was just about to do a 1966 Royal GTO Tiger , but I looked at the decals in the new issue. They have one black and one white decal. I thought I was missing a sheet, but the instructions show the car being built with one black and one white side. Not sure what Revell was thinking here... I will have to put this kit aside and source some aftermarket decals for it. (And source out the slicks and headers that are missing now.)

Now I am going to go to the stash, which was the whole purpose of this build in the first place. (Whittle the stash down by one kit per year!) I have a stack pulled out with some recent reissues like the 78 Pacer, 76 Gremlin, 60 Ranchero, 70 Impala, AMT 55 Chevy and Nomad. 55 Ford Pickup (in 1/24 and bright red plastic!) 56 Ford Pickup, and a few others. I also have some newer kits, including the 72 Cutlass, 62 Vette, 50 Olds, 66 El Camino, 62 Bel Air, 62 Impala, 66 Nova, 69 Nova, 55, 56 and 57 Chevy kits from Revell's '90s era tooling, Revell 58 Chevy, Hemi Cuda, 57 Ford, Revell Beetle, Hemi Dart, Thunderbolt and many countless others. (I really have to trim the stash!!!)

I am really looking at the 66 El Camino, 70 Impala, 55 Ford Pickup, 72 Cutlass and 69 Nova. I have never built the Nova, Elky or Cutlass before. I remember hearing good things about the El Camino. How are the Cutlass and Nova? Any real hangups on either one? In a perfect world, I would fix the wheel openings on the Nova, but for this build I would stop being a rivet counter for 24 hours. I also keep staring at the 51 Chevy Convertible kit... The pickup would be cool because It is a street machine, and I can paint it any color and detail it any way I want and be correct. (No time in a 24 hour build to research reference material for every part you paint.) Any dire warnings about why I shouldn't build one of these?

I will make the final decision when I get home tonight. THen I will get rested up for the build. Let's all have fun with this!

p.s. Our low temp Sat. night is going to be 6 degrees below zero Fahrenheit! It will take a little extra effort to do the painting in this weather.

To be clear, as long as we obey the rules at the beginning of the post, anyone can join in this build without an official announcement before hand...is that correct? I am asking because I am really wanting to get cranking into some builds now that some time is freeing up and I've got an understarted roadrunner I am itching to get at. I might join with it.

If you wanted to participate on Facebook then you can just join in, or if you were planning on creating an album specifically for the build on Photobucket/Fotki/Flickr for the build to be linked up to the main Fotki page for the build you'd need to get in touch with Gary via the F.B. page by this evening. Otherwise you can post your progress here, or as a WiP (might want to call out in the thread title that it;s for the 24hr build) as we'll all be keeping track of everyone's progress while the paint and glue are setting up through out the evening and overnight.

Edited by niteowl7710

Okay guys, I'll jump in. I know it's the 11th hour and to be honest, I'm going out to grab a kit right now lol. I've been back into building for a little over a year and still haven't actually 'finished' anything. I've got about 8 cars that are 90 percent though. So this will be my chance to just get it done. I'll post my kit when I return in about an hour.

Not gonna try for an all nighter. Heading to bed, here's where I am now.

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Jantrix/library/24%20Hour%20Vicky

See you at 6am.

You are making this look too easy Rob! I have been putting off building that kit for a long time, now maybe I'll give it a try. On real time!!! Nice progress so far. I've been following the build on facebook and loving it. More action than I've seen in a while! Kind of like watching a gravity race. :lol:

Edited by rmvw guy

IMG_0174-vi.jpg

I participated and got this Dodge A100 pickup done as far as you see it by 6:30 am. At that point I had just the final assembly and detailing to do but the paint was a bit soft underneath and I didn't want to screw it up. I built it to be a stable mate to my A100 van. I will finish up those details soon. I don't know exactly when since I start a new job tomorrow.

Lots of neat models everybody. I fell a bit short, timewise. I had to back up and disassemble a few things to make it fit together correctly. I will finish it off this week and take a couple of pictures of it. (Not real sharp closeups though. It WAS a 24 hour build after all.) I had lots of fun and I am looking forward to next year.