Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trans Am Question....

While at work the other day, some guys were talking about cars, and one of them stated that Pontiac made a '69 Trans Am. I was thinking, they didn't come out with the Trans Am package until '73/'74 and didn't come out with the "bird" on the hood until '76/'77. Would this be correct (or close to it), or was there actually a Trans Am made in '69 ???? I know there is a lot of knowledge out there that would be able to answer this question, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

STEVE ALLEN

Andy is right, their was a 69 Trans Am, 697 with 8 of them convertibles.

1970-72 did not have a hood bird. They either had stripes with a small nose bird on the nose cone or nothing at all.

1973 was the first year for the hood bird and was a $55 option.

The Trans Am name was used by Pontiac at a fee of $5 per Trans Am sold to help fund the series of the same name. That $5 per car helped out the SCCA series more than you'll ever know.

IF the Trans Am's in 73 up did not have a hood bird they too received a small nose bird.

Anything else?? LOL

Chris

ah yes, back in '69, I was 10 living in new orleans and my dad knew the new car manager, wally, at peritty (?) pontiac. wally called my dad up and said he needed to come look at something special. my dad took me and my brother down to see a brand new trans am roll off the trailer. brilliant white, two blue stripes over two hood scoops and down the trunk to the blue taillight panel, ram air III motor and 4 speed. wally says get in. oh the sound when it fired up. it rumbled and shook like it was angry at someone or thing. I fell in love with v8s right then. wally rolls it out in the street and nails it. yee-haw. my brother and I never had so much fun in the back seat as we did sliding around that black naugahyde seat. wally was having fun too. we rode around for a while but eventually the fun had to end. wally rolled it up on the concrete display ramp and nailed the throttle one more time. wonderful noise. one of those memories that will never fade.

thanks for the flashback.

Not to highjack the thread but, since the question's already been answered......

ah yes, back in '69, I was 10 living in new orleans and my dad knew the new car manager, wally, at peritty (?) pontiac. wally called my dad up and said he needed to come look at something special. my dad took me and my brother down to see a brand new trans am roll off the trailer. brilliant white, two blue stripes over two hood scoops and down the trunk to the blue taillight panel, ram air III motor and 4 speed. wally says get in. oh the sound when it fired up. it rumbled and shook like it was angry at someone or thing. I fell in love with v8s right then. wally rolls it out in the street and nails it. yee-haw. my brother and I never had so much fun in the back seat as we did sliding around that black naugahyde seat. wally was having fun too. we rode around for a while but eventually the fun had to end. wally rolled it up on the concrete display ramp and nailed the throttle one more time. wonderful noise. one of those memories that will never fade.

thanks for the flashback.

Yep, Wally Grimes, Paretti Pontiac. That would have made me 7 so my memories of that little joy ride are a little fuzzier. Didn't the car have the Dealer installed headers that were in the trunk when delivered? Did it also have a two-point roll bar or did I dream that up?

The '69 T/A was subject of a press intro at Riverside Raceway along with the first Judge, maybe January '69. The Carousel Red Judge made a waaay bigger impression on the media types than the white T/A, which went on to a lackluster sales performance. Dealers just didn't grasp the concept, tough it sounds like your Pontiac store 'got it' just fine!

Today I know of a couple of primo '69s, one owned by Jim Wangers that was a 'real' Riverside press car, just a perfect specimen. Jim's nephew Gordon as a hugger Orange 69 Camaro 325-horse 396 parked next to the T/A, & it's worth more than the T/A. Go figure...

Wangers has T/As from '69, '79, '89, and '99, and the '79 has less than 50 miles on it...

Edited by rick r