Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blue Suede Shoe - 1949 Ford

luciomduran

actually it's pretty easy to lower the rear on this kit. when you're assembling the rear axle, stop before putting the brake backing plates on and use your razor saw to remove the springs from the axle, making sure your cuts are straight and square. add lowering blocks of your intended scale drop, and voila. another detail can be great to add and strengthens the weak rear suspension of the kit: air lift bags. simply cut a thick piece of round sprue to the correct length to fill the space between the top of the rear axle and the frame; glue in place and paint flat black, add air lines, and again, voila.

different versions of this kit have holes in the block for steel wire axles or modified front wheels to use thick stub axles that really ONLY fit the stock height location well.... 1/4" styrene tube can be glued into the top "lowered" positions on the frame before the engine is installed, then short pieces of steel wire axle used to hold the wheels.

of course, I've built over two dozen of these (probably closer to three) and every time I do one I find another way to improve it.