Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Were You In 62?

Mercman

MVC005S-vi.jpg

Where was I in '62? Hanging out in style in the back of a brand new Studebaker!

Good start on Mels!

Funny how many of us share history..........

Late 1962 Dad took delivery of a brand new Lark wagon with the retracting roof.

Dad bartered it from Andy Granatelli of STP......Dad was racing director of Valvoline at the time....Andy was getting Studebaker cars in place of stock dividends....he used many....sold or traded the others.

Loved that car......rode from CA to WV twice in it.....I was in charge of the swamp cooler!!!!

We went to Holley House drive in to eat 3-4 times a month......I remember the cup 'holders' on the glove box door!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how many of us share history..........

Late 1962 Dad took delivery of a brand new Lark wagon with the retracting roof.

Dad bartered it from Andy Granatelli of STP......Dad was racing director of Valvoline at the time....Andy was getting Studebaker cars in place of stock dividends....he used many....sold or traded the others.

Loved that car......rode from CA to WV twice in it.....I was in charge of the swamp cooler!!!!

We went to Holley House drive in to eat 3-4 times a month......I remember the cup 'holders' on the glove box door!!!

Interesting story! My father had a '54 Studebaker prior to the '62. He was an army officer and was sent to Viet Nam in '62 before we admitted we were involved. He bought the new car for my mother so she wouldn't have any problems while he was away. The Stude got traded in on a '66 Pontiac Lemans 2 door hardtop with a 4 speed. We were supposed to be going to Germany then (wound up in Turkey) and the Pontiac was the car he wanted to take to Europe. Funny thing was that the Stude would have been valuable in Turkey since it was a sedan and they turned those into Taxis. He said he got rid of the Stude when they were going out of business partly in fear of not being able to get parts and service, but also because the 4 year old car had visible rust on it.

My next encounter with a 1962 Studebaker was when we finally got to Germany in 1969. The officer my father was replacing had a new Audi that he was bringing back to the US and a '62 Studebaker convertible. I begged my father to get the Stude from him since he was leaving it in Germany, but the other fellow said he wouldn't sell it to us because the frame was very rusty. It got junked in the car junkyard on the Army post. That was only a 7 year old car!

Later in life in the late 1980s I bought a '63 Studebaker 4 door sedan to be a father son resto project. Once we took it apart, we realized it was way too rusty to restore. Both A and B pillars were nearly rusted through. Man could those rust!

Tom!

I knew you were a military brat, but didn't know you were in Kansas in '62. So was I. You must have been at Ft. Riley or Ft. Leavenworth. Which?

I was throwing newspapers in Wichita in '62. Scarfed down those great burgers from Dog-N-Suds whenever I could con the parents into a night 'out.'

By '64 we had a brand-spanking new McDonald's near my paper route. That became dangerous. Throw papers, go home for dinner, go out collecting from subscribers, finish the evening by walking to McDonald's for an "All-American" - 15cent hamburger, 10cent fries, 10cent coke. The paper route was pretty lucrative for a 12-year old, but the profit margin was stretched thin by those visits to the Golden Arches Supper Club.

Tom!

I knew you were a military brat, but didn't know you were in Kansas in '62. So was I. You must have been at Ft. Riley or Ft. Leavenworth. Which?

I was throwing newspapers in Wichita in '62. Scarfed down those great burgers from Dog-N-Suds whenever I could con the parents into a night 'out.'

By '64 we had a brand-spanking new McDonald's near my paper route. That became dangerous. Throw papers, go home for dinner, go out collecting from subscribers, finish the evening by walking to McDonald's for an "All-American" - 15cent hamburger, 10cent fries, 10cent coke. The paper route was pretty lucrative for a 12-year old, but the profit margin was stretched thin by those visits to the Golden Arches Supper Club.

Yes Dan, I was at Fort Riley from 1960-62. My sister was born there in 1960. I remember Dog-N-Suds, in fact I believe I still have a pair of very small root beer mugs from there. I don't remember much considering I was 4 in 1962.

I never saw a McDonalds as a kid. We were mostly out of country but when we were home, I don't remember them at all. When we got back to the US in 1972 it was sensory overload. McDonalds, Burger King and even Italian Subs (grinders, hoagies, what ever you call them!) were all new experiences to me and I was 14 at the time. Those chains hadn't made it to Europe yet when I was there. Best I remember was a British hamburger chain called Wimpys and going there in Paris. I'm told that later on there actually was a Burger King right on the army post where we lived in Pirmasens, Germany.