Model Cars Magazine Forum

thats just awsome !!

and yes maybe wash the wheels with some black so it crwals in the seems and creases of the chrome that will gove them depth :)

btw when i look at the way you build this .. and this is ment well i would think about buying decal paper in the future .. i mean that welder looks sooo fr... good and then you stick a paper logo on .. how nice would it have been with a printed decal under some clear ..

again no offence / harm ment just enthousiasm ... it really is a very cool build > love this

Thanks Richard. No offense taken. I actually did use decal paper. I don't have a photo shop program...just shrank em down on the "paint" program that came on the computer. I also just use testors decal paper...is there anything better? I'm kinda new to making decals. As far as clearing over them, that's not how the real thing is so that's why I didn't.

If anyone has a better way to make decals I really would like to learn.

Got the side and window trim painted as well as the back of the cab rhino lined. Also painted the wheels black. When I was masking the trim I noticed a chunk of paint gone behind the front wheel. I guess it's back to the booth for repairs.

6A23C40F-6900-4DB0-A988-E44E39C54FDC_zps

038BB10F-84C1-4B58-9A74-CB1723F08953_zps

Edited by zaina

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome job! I'm starting something somewhat similar, did you make those bottles yourself? And what about the gauges? I'm going to need a set myself.

Thanks. I machined the bottles from aluminum and the gauges are made from round evergreen rod.

• 2 years later...

Ive got a few questions like whag is the bed made out of and how did you make the welder what materials did u use for the welder and the bed ...thanks amy info would be great im looking at making one myself and ill post pics on here but i need some help getting started .........thanks-chandler

all I used to make the bed and welder are sheet plastic. You can get it at your local hobby shop. If you go back in the thread you can see the bed in progress. It's built pretty much like a real one would be. I have another rig in the works and when I build the welder for that one I will resin cast it so that I can have one whenever I need one. 

Got the decals made for the welder.

1C17C6C6-E81A-4CFC-9E2F-6BBC8E3A1C7A_zps

A shot with temporary paper copies and the cab in primer.

7E137CA1-FF57-48D9-9B99-CCCFFDF3EAC0_zps

-I have a very similar project to think of and pondering how I'm gonna go about it, I plan to do a Railroad truck "Hi-Rail" truck, that also have a welder on it, BUT mine will be on a early '70's Dodge Power Wagon W300 set-up..... Any idea what the "era" of this welder is? And also what might it take to set 2 sets of those Lincoln Arc Welder decals???? -PM me on if ya would!

-I have a very similar project to think of and pondering how I'm gonna go about it, I plan to do a Railroad truck "Hi-Rail" truck, that also have a welder on it, BUT mine will be on a early '70's Dodge Power Wagon W300 set-up..... Any idea what the "era" of this welder is? And also what might it take to set 2 sets of those Lincoln Arc Welder decals???? -PM me on if ya would!

You'd want an old Lincoln Redface SA200 copper-wound welder, made in the late 60s on up. That would be perfect. I could probably make you up a set of welder decals if you're interested. I really have a soft spot for both power wagons and hirails, so I'm really interested in this.

You'd want an old Lincoln Redface SA200 copper-wound welder, made in the late 60s on up. That would be perfect. I could probably make you up a set of welder decals if you're interested. I really have a soft spot for both power wagons and hirails, so I'm really interested in this.

YES I am interested! I'm gonna be doing a '72 Dodge Power Wagon W300 with Crew-Cab, and a 10 foot Utility Bed, that has an area built into it for the welder and a really old type "Auto-Crane Lift on the opposite side of the bed in the rear as the Welder will be placed as such, on the drivers side, and nearest the cab. Then as you go towards the rear of the bed, next to the welder standing vertical will be the touch set.... And LOTS of "doors" on the way to rear of it. -A lot of work, BUT I'm planning what I wanna make it look like to those trucks I recall seeing where I grew up and then making it the "old" local Railroad too..... -Back in the days of Chessie System, before they replaced/repainted all the Hi-Rail trucks in the "new" then, Chessie paint scheme!

A LOT of scratch building and scratch-bashing on this one! BUT I'm "gathering" parts for it now as I have yet to start it!

A really cool build. Haven't bee around a rig anywhere near that in a long time. The only pipeline job I did .Most of the timethey used Tack rigs  a D=6 with a deck over the motor and three welders on it. The were working off a push site. As we were floating the pipe down the ditch. Great job while it lasted. I was a hoe hand on a 225 cat.

Be Well

Gator

Andy,

What in the world did you use to make the Rhino Liner coating with? That looks GREAT!? I just gotta know! I have SEVERAL builds that could use that same treatment! 

NIICE job on the whole thing too! VERY well done!!!

rustoleum textured paint with semi gloss over it. 

Andy,

Super build!

John,

I use the Rustoleum texture paint for pickup bed liners like Rhino Liner and Linex.  Great stuff!  I have also used it to replicate the texture material on the pump panels of fire trucks.

1400804440_picsay-1400804440.jpg

David

Just "Rustoleum" textured paint, what color? (I assume its flat) and then you use gloss or semi-gloss over it? What ya did on the fire truck parts looks good too! NICE job!