Model Cars Magazine Forum

upholstery piping question

My daughter (11 yrs old in a week) is working on the Revell '69 COPO Nova (her second model) and is trying to put green paint in the recesses of the seats (which she painted black) to match the exterior.

What are our options on ways to do this? She's tried a steady hand with a toothpick and filling it and wiping off the excess. Neither is working that great.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

post-13086-0-85245100-1388970105_thumb.j

A craft store that carries beading supplies will have small diameter colored wire in packs, I bought mine at Michaels, about 3 bucks for a dozen rolls of different colors. Pieces of this can be used as piping, just cut a short piece and bend to fit, attach with clear nail polish or superglue.

I've had good success using either Detail Master's thin detail wire, or, spark plug wire, in whatever color chosen for a particular project. You can drill a starter hole in a seat corner and glue the end of the wire in the hole with CA glue (obviously after you have the seats either painted or flocked). Then apply a tiny drop of CA glue about every quarter inch around the edge of the seat (or wherever you want the piping) until you complete the piping, After all the CA glue has dried, if there are ant shiny spots where the CA glue is, you can brush on a spot of dullcoat to knock down the shine.

Heat-stretched green plastic sprue might be another option, though it would be a bit tricky to glue in place. I used red as stripes on a 32nd scale stocker's wheels since there was no way I could paint a really thin consistent width red stripe.

102551931_Pettywagonwheel.jpg.ece57496b1b4ae512622ae5e3f7f29b2.jpg

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted photo link

I've used sewing thread, dipped in white glue. You only have a few minutes to get it where you want it before the glue starts to set up.

Bonus: If you dont get it where you want it the first time, a wet Q-Tip softens thing up enough to adjust the thread some.

I'd post a pic, but my work locks out Flicker photo site (any and all social media).

Edited by fat50