Model Cars Magazine Forum

List of big rig truck engines in kits

Not completely sure when "Old" Cat yellow disappeared,but my Dad had a 1:1 1972 White-Freightliner C.O.E with a 1693 Cat in it,and it was positively the older color,i still have some of the old aerosol touch-up paint that he used to keep the engine looking good.............................................Mark

I have edited the list as I have found out more regarding the Cat Yellow, I don't want to give out false information and the list to be as correct as it can be. ;)
So if anyone finds more inaccuracys both in the color list and engine list let me know and I'll fix it.

Edited by Force

That's kind of what I'm leaning toward. I have a photo of a Dodge Bighorn with the hood tipped, and the engine "looks" white, but you really can't trust 1970s color photography sometimes.

Well if the engine was a Cummins NHC, NTA or NTC it should be beige close to sand color, and if the engine was a Detroit 8V-92T it was probably silver, these colors dirty and a dirty white looks fairly the same from some distance.

Thanks Hakan thats made it a hole lot easyer B)

You're welcome.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone know what motor is in the Western Star Constellation kit? The Wild Cat box art to be specific. Thanks in advance.

It's Italeri's version of the N-14, what they consider to be the updated motor. Air to air, with the NTC valve cover

:lol:Its already been done just need to update and sort it all out... :lol:

Master list of kit info-

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48216&hl=%2Bmaster+%2Blist+%2Bof+%2Bkit+%2Binfo

That's where I found some of the information for my lists in this thread...and I didn't take any credit for the legwork as most of it were done by someone else, among those you. ;)

That's kind of what I'm leaning toward. I have a photo of a Dodge Bighorn with the hood tipped, and the engine "looks" white, but you really can't trust 1970s color photography sometimes.

The engine in the first Bighorn (Gold one in all the adds) was white in all the photos that I have seen. Remember there is usually an exception to the rule. The only time that my dad worked for a company that bought an entire new fleet of trucks was in 1983. Out of over 40 brand new 83 Freightliners, two of the 3406 Cats were white, the rest were all yellow. The old K100 that my dad drove had a green Detroit, while some were white. The company that I worked for back in the early 90s painted every Mack engine that was rebuilt grey, even the gold ones. Not to mention engine swaps, new replacements, etc. The point is; when modeling, there is room for variation unless you are modeling an exact replica.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just got what I believe to be a Cummings Iron Lung . I wanted to know what is the colour of this engine please . Would it be beige too?

I believe so, but some truck manufacturers had the engines painted custom colors, engines in Peterbilt's and Kenworth's were mostly white for example.

I would like to know if anyone is doing a resin version of the turbine engine that was in the original GMC astro kit. I would like to build one and put it in my regular astro model.  

I have not seen any.