Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built yard goat

Folks,

I have been collecting a lot of information on both Capacity and Ottawa yard tractors. Using some extrapolation, some SWAG and any photos I could find I have started drawing a set of line drawings for an Ottawa. I started scratch building the frame this past week end.

I will post pics tomorrow. Just wanted to see if anyone would be interested an a build log for this type of project?

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

If you look in the on the work bench forum under the title Scratch built yard goat you will see some in progress photos and a diagram I found in the service manuals. I have done some more work and will be posting more photo tomorrow.

I am trying to figure out the best way to share my build drawings as well as the research material I have accumulated for this build. Please let me know what you think. The model is in fabrication stages right now there are lots of details to clean up .

Aloha

Gary

I posted a couple of pictures of a Capacity TJ4000 in the 1:1 truck picture section a while back. Believe it's on page 2. They're not the greatest or most detailed pictures, but it's all I have. It's the one I used to drive at a previous job. It has a sprung front and bagged rear suspensions. More about it there.

I found those photos and was searching for more information on the internet when I found the photo that started this build.So in a round about way you are responsible for this build. The Capacity tractor will probably be my next build. I like yard tractors because i am not a fan of fancy paint schemes, chrome or sleepers.

I added a PDF file to your reference page today of a TJ-7000 Right Hand Drive. The dimensions are there so it should be build able. When I have time I will redraw this and convert it to left hand drive.

Gary

Edited by Bgrgbldr

Ben,

Do you know anyone that does laser cutting? I would be willing to do drawings for laser cutting for the cab. I believe most modelers could build the chassis form scratch with a good set of drawings. I hope to have the drawings ready to post soon.

I am working on an order for some of your 5 hole wheels for this build as well.

Thanks to everyone for the favorable comments so far.

Gary

Ben,

Do you know anyone that does laser cutting? I would be willing to do drawings for laser cutting for the cab. I believe most modelers could build the chassis form scratch with a good set of drawings. I hope to have the drawings ready to post soon.

I am working on an order for some of your 5 hole wheels for this build as well.

Thanks to everyone for the favorable comments so far.

Gary

There's a guy in the same work center where Jamie (the guy that casts the parts) works that does laser and CNC cutting. I can find out who he is and maybe you could send him the prints and see what kind of estimate he'll give you?

Ben,

That would be awesome if you could put me in touch with this guy. Another option might be to do the entire cab shell out of photo etch. I may be back home in central Texas for a short visit later this month maybe we can get together and swap stories and ideas.

Gary

Edited by Bgrgbldr