Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Stp Petty Charger 1/16th Scale Kit (very Rare)

David Thibodeau

Here is one I have been working on for a client in New Jersey. He paid big bucks on ebay and won one of the "Holy Grail" Nascar kits to alot of nascar modelers. The MPC 1/16th scale Petty charger. I found a set of Slixx decals to use in place of the old kit sheet.

The body and hood come molded in clear plastic. Of course the request was to paint it in traditional Petty BLue and Rocket Red. The body, hood and all remaining parts were cleaned up and primed. Real petty blue Mixed by Al Mosteller was used. SEMS Stop Light red which is what Petty used is the rocket red followed by dupont chroma clear.

Here are the body pics painted cleared before decals. The white stripe is 1/32 pinstripe tape that I applied before clearcoat.

Picture001-vi.jpg

Picture002-vi.jpg

Picture003-vi.jpg

Tire lettering was carefully painted, and weathered for realism

Picture004-vi.jpg

CHassis was also built, primed, painted and cleared.

Picture006-vi.jpg

Picture007-vi.jpg

And with the body polished and decaled. I also included a 1/24 scale Petty last ride model built by Al Mosteller to show the size of this thing. In case some are wondering, I am doing this car Boxstock. The owner wanted it built exactly out of the box for nostalgic purposes. Believe me if this puppy was mine I would have gone all out on it!! But it has impressive detail out of the box considering its a 30 year old kit.

picture009-vi.jpg

Picture10-vi.jpg

picture11-vi.jpg

More updates very soon.

DaveT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave...

Just a quick note to let you know how much I enjoyed looking at your Pirates Pontiac at Atlanta. It's always a toss-up between your stuff and Clay's when it comes to be attention getters. I found myself making many trips past the corner of the table at the ACME show to get just one more look at your most excellent piece of work. Oh, if I could only paint like you guys and if I only had the dedication, determination and talent to build like you guys do. At my age there are so many project and so little time.

The big Petty Charger is certainly a worthy project for a builder like yourself. I'm sure the finished model will be something we'd all be more than happy to display. I've often wondered if the "creative brains" at Fun Dimensions hadn't made the decision to turn that tool into a street machine, what it would be like today if every serious stock car builder could purchase a reissue of this landmark race car kit again.

I often wonder at your relatively young age, what you guys will come up with next. I mean...what else is possible in a stock car model? Trust me, I am willing to wait to see what the answer might be to those musings.

Keep pushing the envelop. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Bill Coulter

Here it is!!!

(Bill. I am flattered at your response and very appreciative. You are a legend and was very inspirational in my beggining days of building nascar.

Please remember this is a build for a client that wanted me to stick mainly to the stock essentials of this kit.... Superdetailing was not requested. Believe me it was hard to refrain!! The build price would have been substantially higher and the client decided to have it built stock....

Rear diff and suspension complete:

P1010001-vi.jpg

Front suspension complete:

P1010010-vi.jpg

Front glass detailed and installed:

P1010085-vi.jpg

Rear glass and new spoiler made out of aluminum detailed with protech .040 bolts.

P1010089-vi.jpg

Interior Work:

P1010003-vi.jpg

Overall body view:

P1010087-vi.jpg

More soon!!

DaveT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It's been three years since this thread has been in the spotlight... well with the soon to be reissued 1/16 Dodge Charger, I thought it deserved being brought back to the fore front so we can once again admire and drool over Dave's outstanding work.

I only wish this thread were a little more detailed. But having said that, it's still an impressive piece of work. Well done Dave!

Yes, very nice work, it's great to see these rare model kits being built. This is very interesting project, and I can say that I've never seen this kit even in a picture! Nice paintjob on the body, and decals are very nicely done also. I like the chassis part, it's so nicely painted, and those details, you have added to it are amazing. I can't wait to see it finished, it just looks so great! And I had to say also, that I like those tires and wheels, they are very autentic looking! :lol:

• 4 years later...