Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissue chances?

With the recent spate of reissues over the last few years including some great older kits I wonder what the chances are that we'll see a 1/20 MPC van kit or two make a reappearance or even the Revell 1/16 Big Bad Van?

We got the rescue van, Phantom, Vantasy and Revell Chev so maybe some big scale vans?

I live in hope. :)

I really doubt they would sell. Large scale kits have a certain fan base and they are a picky lot. Not only that, kits that are considered way more market friendly, I.e. 1/16 Dragsters and Funny Cars, do not sell that well according to Revell. I really doubt the vans would sell all that well at all.

I have most of them and I think they are really cool, but, then again, I was a kid when they first came out and they are a happy childhood memory for me. Would I buy them? Depends on which versions came out and I already have all the Revell 1/16 vans. I really doubt they would restore the MPC van back to its stock version given the last version was a 4x4. But then again, I could be wrong!

Also, there are way more old kits that are desireable for re-issue than those large scale vans.

Those sound cool Rob but for me it would be a HUGE load of happiness if the MPC 71 to 77 Dodge vans or the 70s Chevy mini motor home van made a comeback....would have to have several of each!!!

I'm with you there mate, I've got the motor home but the Dodge MPC vans have been harder to get for my collection. I did manage to buy two NOS factory sealed 77 Dodges a few weeks ago. First ones I've got. :)

I have most of them and I think they are really cool, but, then again, I was a kid when they first came out and they are a happy childhood memory for me. Would I buy them? Depends on which versions came out and I already have all the Revell 1/16 vans. I really doubt they would restore the MPC van back to its stock version given the last version was a 4x4. But then again, I could be wrong!

Also, there are way more old kits that are desireable for re-issue than those large scale vans.

More desireable than vans?????? Noooooooooooooo. :)

I've got 13 different 1/20 MPC van kits I've collected, what I'd love to see if they did reissue it would be a all in one kit. Cool options from all the issues combined, stock grill and custom, multiple interiors, 4x4 option......... I can dream about it I guess and live in hope.

I would like another crack at that 1/20th scale Ford van again. Built it as a teen. It came with optional shop truck stuff like a pull out engine hoist. It had a clear oil pan on the Ford V8. I thought I would be slick and put real oil in it so it could be seen. I was not very good at the attempt and gluing an oily piece of clear plastic onto another bit of painted plastic is hard. Glue , oil, and paint do not mix. I even had the Ironside van with a scale wheel chair in it. Another van I'd like to get my hands on is the Plymouth window van they did for a short time. I believe it was MPC that sold that one. I thought it would be cool to put that grille on a regular van in the Dodge kits....just to be different.

Edited by lordairgtar

I'm with you there mate, I've got the motor home but the Dodge MPC vans have been harder to get for my collection. I did manage to buy two NOS factory sealed 77 Dodges a few weeks ago. First ones I've got. :)

Rob...the 71 to 77 vans had basically the same body where in 78 they got ugly...at least in my opinion. The 77 is a good kit remember building one when I was a kid...think I built all the Dodge vans back then...would love to again sometime. I have the 71 window van and Chevy motor home ones but they need a lot of parts to rebuild or replace missing parts to them. I once owned a mid 70s factory custom Dodge van...hoping to build one I have like it once the needed parts are found to. The Chevy motor home one needs all the raised roof parts replaced must be a tube or two of glue just on whats left of the top parts???...these are VERY cool kits.

I gotta think there is a good market for re-issues of this stuff, I, like many of you, built this stuff in my youth. and now 'we' have the disposable income to buy all this stuff from our youth......and usually buy more than one at a time.

I find it funny that I see so many 'old' kits posted on this site that take me back to my youth, many of them I forgot about, but when I see them, it's a pure time warp.

mold them, and we will buy.............

I gotta think there is a good market for re-issues of this stuff, I, like many of you, built this stuff in my youth. and now 'we' have the disposable income to buy all this stuff from our youth......and usually buy more than one at a time.

I find it funny that I see so many 'old' kits posted on this site that take me back to my youth, many of them I forgot about, but when I see them, it's a pure time warp.

mold them, and we will buy.............

Amen brother...!

Growing up in the late 70's I hated Van kits and Corvettes. :lol: That is all you could find to build in the stores ,( I wanted the MPC Pro Stocks)
Seems like every tv show had a van or corvette with their logo. I was surprised I never saw one for MASH !

I am sure the molds are still out there somewhere.

I will check around with some of my model hoarding friends to see what they have.

Edited by Old Buckaroo