Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Hemi Cuda Replica Build

mademan

I've also seen this Cuda ( 1:1 ) before & is currently in my photo reference stash because I thought the same as everyone else... It's a beauty! I also had plans to build a replica but you've beaten me to it... So I'm altering my plans a bit ;-) Love the deep dish wheels too!

Just so everyone knows... Fireball will be coming out with a few different ( size-wise ) tyres specifically in 1:25 for this new 'Cuda kit ( BFG radials ) I'm in the waiting list :-)

Cheers & carry on :-)

Cliffo

Nice work so far. I'm really starting to dig these older Mopar's! I really want to know where I can buy some of those flowmasters! Those things look sweet!!

Yeh me too! I'm interested in a few sets :-)

Cliffo

Mike, I don't know if you found this yet, but putting wider tires that will fit INSIDE the wheelells, they'll tend to hit the interior cavity near where the rear seat would attach. I found that grinding this section down with a rotary head cutter will gain you enough clearance to fit a bigger sized tire in the wheelwell. It's in the front area near the lower part of where the rear seat would mount.

the Flowmaster mufflers were a 1 off project. A good friend drew them up for me and I printed 1 run of 18 mufflers total, enough to do 9 cars. Wish I could get more but they would have to be re-drawn.

George, I ran into that problem, and added some styrene on the inside and blended it so that it isn't as obvious. Ill get a shot of primer on it and see how it looks.

Nice build.

The first photo with the real car was taken at a place that looked very familiar...I have been there myself several times...the Saturday morning meet at Adams Avenue Donuts at the Adams Ave-Magnolia St intersection in Huntington Beach, CA.

Mike, this will be a nice one to follow, I'm pretty fond of that black beast myself and can see me getting another Cuda to do a build specific on it. :)

I thought of putting those very same monster meats in under the tail of mine, but opted for older Amt M/T's from their Motion Camaro kit. ;)

And yes, shame those Flowmasters are no longer available, I was going to raise my hand for a set too. :lol:

No major updates today, just playing the waiting game with some paint. Engine and interior pieces are all in paint and as soon as they dry I can start to detail.

I hit the interior parts with flat black, and a bit of clear.... gives the vynil look and not too shiny. Also removed all of the mold seam lines around the seats and cleaned them all up.

IMG_5502_zpsbdd2e6b5.jpg

IMG_5501_zpsf6691620.jpg

Edited by mademan

Nice stuff Mike, those interior panels and seats look pretty awesome to my eye. B) :) Oh, and the motor. ;)

Starting to wish I'd opted to paint my motor orange now....... :unsure: guess that just means I'll need to get another kit. :)

I initially ordered 2.... and as soon as I opened it, I put in for 4 more. Ive got allot of ideas for this kit. Its just an all around great kit.

Couple more small updates. Started to fit the interior together, and working on some details for the engine. Robbed a Revell `68 Charger of its headers. I started on the carbs, by hitting them with some dull coat, also painted the trans.

IMG_5505_zps660c8f65.jpg

IMG_5506_zps99f78774.jpg

still needs clean-up and some detailing, but it had to have the Big foot :)

IMG_5508_zps0c285a5e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great work so far. I, along with every other commenter to date, will be looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

I was wondering .......

During discussion in the Cuda Review thread, Photos of this car were posted, and I immediately fell in love with it. I started gathering parts, and decided that I must use Fireball Modelworks 295/50/15 tires. I got a set of deep/shallow Scenes Unlimited resin Mopar steelies, and a set of Missing Link resin hubcaps.

1970_plymouth_hemi_cuda_coupe_-_black_-_

...... when this is sitting in the parking lot, why is all the attention on the station wagon in the back?!?!?!?

Sorry for all the small updates.

Pulleys, Belt, and fan are all on. As well as the fuel line run from the pump. Just working on the "t" fitting for the carbs, and fuel filters. Also got a bit more work done on the interior, wood decals in place, and etch pedals.

IMG_5616_zpsfe6ea411.jpg

IMG_5618_zpsb54c4dd4.jpg

Valve covers wrinkle painted. I used an aerosol "texture" paint from Rona. Texture is a bit out of scale, but overall im happy with it.

IMG_5485_zpsa01327b3.jpg

I would like to build the testors 1/4 scale street hemi and use a wrinkle finish on the valve covers. I had thought about applying a glue to the covers, then dipping them in sandblastiing sand for texture. Then apply paint. Thoughts?

I would like to build the testors 1/4 scale street hemi and use a wrinkle finish on the valve covers. I had thought about applying a glue to the covers, then dipping them in sandblastiing sand for texture. Then apply paint. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!