Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 RS SS 1/12 grille. any out there?

contacted TDR about doing this grill and he thought it was a great idea. He is on the board , if he see's this i'm sure he will chime in. I don't have the kit yet, but he does need some measurements.

I am pretty sure I have a rough,broken body lying around somewhere that I no longer need. I can ship it to anyone who is seriously going to take on this task.

• 2 weeks later...

If any companies are thinking of making conversions for this kit, I would be interested in buying:

Penske Trans-Am Racing version #6 & #9

Indy 500 Convertible Pace Car version + RS Grille + SS parts

That would be awesome if someone made 1/12 scale 15" Minilite wheels. I recall Randy Derr(?) built a very nice 1/12 '69 Penske Camaro close to twenty years ago, and I think some of the parts he made for the car were featured in various SAE articles on detailing, but I don't think any of the parts he created were offered to the public.

Forum member Stump/Greg Armour made some 1/12 Minilites (or maybe another brand) for his Tamiya 240Z project, but I think they were four-lug wheels, and I'm not sure if he offered them for sale: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18121&hl=%2B112+%2Bdatsun

I honestly don't think the RS/SS grille will ever be made, due to the complexity of its design. The headlight door grilles would need to be done a photoetched pieces, so that alone would add a lot of cost:

6747.jpg

camp_0905_08%2B1969_z11_camaro_official_

If i could get some real dimensions to work with, i could probably play around and see if it's possible with my PE capabilities..

What is the thinnest, width-wise, any one section can be? According to my quick calculations based on a 7" headlight diameter, the horizontal bars in each headlight door insert would be .1", so .00833" in 1/12 scale.

What is the thinnest, width-wise, any one section can be? According to my quick calculations based on a 7" headlight diameter, the horizontal bars in each headlight door insert would be .1", so .00833" in 1/12 scale.

It depends on the material used. It's usually 1.2 times the thickness of the plate. I use mostly .012" thick brass for my etch, so the minimum would be .015" .

You could get down to a .008 wide part, you'd just have to reduce the plate thickness down to .006"

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a gm person . Would someone please PM me about the differences of SS-RS please . I do know what a Z-Car is (28 that is) . I do know these are Option Packages . Anyone else remember the 4 Chevy Dealers selling / making their own Performance machines ? Yenko , Nickey (?) , Baldwin Motion , and ?? . Thanx ..

• 5 months later...