Model Cars Magazine Forum

First model - Shelby Cobra 427 S/C

JsonRacer

Hello all,
First post and first model I have made. This is a Monogram Shelby Cobra 427 S/C I randomly picked up at a hobby store. Thought it would be fun to build a model car so I thought I would hit the store. Bought this model, some glue, knives, and paint and ended up with this finished product. The paint took me two tries but with the help of reading this forum I was able to get it looking alright. Painted it metallic blue instead of red and opted to omit the white stripes as frankly the water decals scared me a little.
Enjoy,
Jason
gallery_13091_1110_290651.jpg
gallery_13091_1110_162464.jpg

Thanks guys! I used Tamiya primer, Tamiya Metallic blue, and Testor's one-coat laquer. The first paint job was horrendous so I was glad to have this forum to guide me in the right direction. This is a great hobby you have going on and I have already started on my second kit. I might be hooked!

Great job on a kit that has stood the test of time. Here is one I built 20+ years ago. You will notice a few differences - 1 4bbl vs. 2 carbs and wire wheels vs. alibrands. This kit can be built numerous ways (street w/o side pipes) to a full blown racer and someday I'll build a few more. Back then there were not as many sources for decals (guages, emblems) so most everything had to be hand painted. These shortcuts which isn't a bad thing and you can spend more time on engine wiring or chassis detailing if you like or move on to the next project. Keep up the good work.

post-13094-0-11345300-1389312286_thumb.j

Edited by vamach1

Looks pretty sweet for a first...heck even tenth attempt. Hopefully, you will put the current build in the "on the workbench" section and show it off as you go. Not only does everyone get to see your work but, it will give you a chance to ask questions along the way.

Welcome , Jason !

Your AC Cobra looks exemplery , especially for your first build :) :) .

Good call on chosing Tamiya paints . You can't go wrong with their excellent aerosol (synthetic lacquer) or their brush-on paints (acrylic) . I've used Tamiya almost exclusively for 20 years .

Can't wait to see your next build ! :)