Model Cars Magazine Forum

New cars introduced today.

Today, we saw the unveiling of the 2015 Chrysler 200. Nice-looking car, I thought. The assembly plant rebuild is quite something.

http://new.livestream.com/chryslerlive/Chrysler2014NAIAS

We also saw the 2015 Ford F-150. Impressive engineering with the all-aluminum body. I'm not so sure about the styling, but it definitely looks like a well-designed, well-thought out truck.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2015/?hptid=bb-2197-f150-reveal

The preceding are for your reading/viewing pleasure.

Charlie Larkin

The F150 looks like a rehash of the current F150 w/ an ugly Super Duty style nose added. But at least they have cut the weight--cut out 700lbs compared to the current model.

The 200 is nice, but very derivative...has a lot of styling cues in the roofline, sides and the rear seen elsewhere..the design remind me of various Audi, Hyundai and Toyota models.

Edited by Rob Hall

I like the 200 from the "leaked" pics and info I've seen, if I were in a position to buy a second one or something happened to cause me a loss of my current car, I would definately look at that. Maybe a similary trimmed '16 but with the Jeep AWD added to the mix ;)

I just hope they add better tires to the mix too, mine has the factory 18's (which are the optional size.on the Touring model, stock is 17"), and those come with 225/50TR18 Goodyear Eagle LS2. They would probably be ok on the 4 cylinder/4-speed rentaslugs, but aren't really enough for the 4 cylinder/6-speed cars and you can believe me when I say that those are nearly useless on then V-6/6-Speed cars like mine that make 100hp more than the 4's do. Dry pavement is marginal, wet pavement more or less requires, then the few times I've driven it in snowy conditions instead of my Jeep, the traction control light looks like it's trying to send morse code at the slightest throttle use!

Edited by Joe Handley

don't know how much the body shop guys are going to like the aluminum. I wonder how many more door dings it will attract.

That's something that they will have to adapt to, maybe some clever body man will open a shop to repair aluminum bodied vehicles exclusively since there will be more and more being built in years to come.

don't know how much the body shop guys are going to like the aluminum. I wonder how many more door dings it will attract.

It's supposedly more resistant to dings than steel. But, I kinda find that hard to believe.

Wow. 700 pounds lighter? That's really impressive. The truck looks so-so, not a huge departure from the current line of trucks, but the aluminum body - I could use that 700 pounds on my F350 work truck…All things being equal, an extra 700 pounds of cargo hauling ability is a big deal.

There were also some interesting cars announced at the show--Corvette Z06, Corvette C7.R, Toyota Supra concept, Porsche Targa. Also the next gen Merc C-class. Supposedly the updated '15 Challenger SRT w/ the 'Hellcat' engine is coming also this week.

2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-detroit.jpg

corvette-z06-1.jpg

007-toyota-ft-1-concept-detroit-2014.png

ku-xlarge.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

The Chrysler 200 looks very generic, as Rob has mentioned. Front end looks very similar to the previous generation '08-'11 Subaru Impreza. The rear looks very BMW-ish... Not that there's anything wrong with that . Overall it's nothing spectacular. Liking the ZO6... Much more meaner looking... 'Cept for that wimpy yellow hue :-(

The Chrysler 200 looks very generic, as Rob has mentioned. Front end looks very similar to the previous generation '08-'11 Subaru Impreza. The rear looks very BMW-ish... Not that there's anything wrong with that . Overall it's nothing spectacular. Liking the ZO6... Much more meaner looking... 'Cept for that wimpy yellow hue :-(

The specific cues I notice w/ the 200 is the greenhouse--very much like the Avalon and A7, a bit of Ford Fusion, and the 2nd gen Genesis sedan also..the rear has elements of the A7 and some Hyundais, the side lower body reminds me of the Sontata.

As as the Z06, well, yellow has been its signature color for several years, likewise for the race cars..

I really like the return of the 911 Targa..the last one had an all-glass sliding roof panel, this is a return to the original style.

Edited by Rob Hall

..and speaking of new cars, it is surprising none of the kit makers have announced a 'kit of the '14 Corvette Stingray or the current Viper yet, let alone a '15 Mustang...

Not really Rob, some of us have come to the conclusion that there are no Calenders at Revell HQ, remember, no one in the hobby wants new cars :lol:

On a serious note, well, Revell supposedly has some big announcement this week coming, and the fact that they are doing so in conjunction/or at the Auto Show means its going to be something new, or well, that would make sense, but we know how that plays out.

My guess is its going to be the C7 Vette, which, I would be happy with.

Edited by martinfan5

IMO the new f150 was absolutley hidieous to me when I first looked at it.... But its growing on me.. the cab style looks similair to a dodge, and the front end to me, SCREAMS tundra. but the grill has the large tall opening like the ram trucks do. If you look closely you can see the design cues. on the topic of the aluminum.... It wont rust, so you wont need to weld in patch panels so the bodyshop guys shouldnt be too bad off... but dent removal may be difficult because if Im correct, aluminum expands and stretches when it is bent.. It should be interesting to see some strength tests I'm sure someone will do...

I think Chrysler has the best looking cars but that's my opinion and Ford also. I think the Ford truck will remain number one. Toyota and Hyunda has great looking cars and great quality. My inlaws bought 3 new Toyotas this year and they are very impressive cars..