Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Tub from Newguy

LaughingIndian

Hey folks,

I picked up modelling two years ago after my daughter and I got tired of spending cold New England evenings doing jigsaw puzzles. I thought I'd try a simple kit and found the Big Tub on the net and got it for one of my daughter's xmas gift.

post-13175-0-08258800-1389651298_thumb.j

After a few days of watching glue and paint dry, I lost my cohort (but gained the interest of the dog).

post-13175-0-53243100-1389651373_thumb.j

But the kit got me at the engine and I caught the bug.

post-13175-0-97871300-1389651441_thumb.j

post-13175-0-17095600-1389651635_thumb.j

I added heat shrink tubing to the plug wires, painted the valve cover fins, leather wrapped the steering wheel, painted the thing in a neat flat black with contrasting red (weathered) interior, sanded the tires, washed the hubs, etc. Pretty basic stuff.

Here's the pics:

post-13175-0-80970900-1389651683_thumb.j

post-13175-0-39492200-1389651696_thumb.j

post-13175-0-73374200-1389651706_thumb.p

post-13175-0-23386100-1389651714_thumb.p

And finally I presented my daughter with HER present:

post-13175-0-91275100-1389651790_thumb.j

I lost a cohort but gained a fan :-)

Is your 1963 the one with the rope fence around it or is that a different model I'm remembering?

I think the original Big T was the only one with the rope and display stands. My Big Tub was 'pre-owned' and missing a few parts.

Very tasty and real looking. These kits are so true-to-period in their details. I always wish they would shrink-ray them to 1/25th! They are so superior to the smaller scale offerings but oh-so-hard to allow to accumulate on your shelves! The uptop really makes this particular build, IMHO.

The special effects photography is superb. I kept checking to make sure I could either find details that said the car was in fact a 1:1 (which would in itself have been remarkable) or for edges or color inconsistencies in the composite picture than gave it away. I came up dry. I would point out the shadow across the roof and the de-saturated red on the brake drums, upholstery, frame, etc. as evidence of the care with which it was put together. Bravo! And Bravo! on a very cool model, too!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Bernard,Monogram did make a little 'T' and a little Deuce. The originals were never reissued as far as I know,so they're a little pricy.

One of my 'future projects' is to make a 'Little Drag' from the AMT double model T kit.

Unfortunately the Little Deuce in particular is quite different from it's Big Brother, lacking a separate chassis and the fenderless option, the especially well done steelies with separate baby moons, or the superbly detailed SBC and Flathead motors. It's still around today in modified form as the Monogram 1/24 '32 Ford Street Rod. The Little 'T', over the years, has suffered greatly with various "updates" which has cost it much of its original "soul", beginning pretty early on with changes to the exhaust and intake systems, and to the wheels and tires. Currently out of production, the last time I recall it being released was in the early 2000's as the delightfully named "Boomer Bucket" with wire wheels and trailer...

Of the two, the Little Deuce is the one we need the most today in a shrunken version of the Big Deuce, since there is no really well done traditional Deuce Hot Rod in small scale, one reason these projects are a kit basher's delight and a target for the aftermarket.

The Little Drag project sounds like a very cool idea. Hmmmm.... I have a Revell Parts Pack T Bucket, the frame isn't so difficult, a Parts Pack SBC and front axle from a Revell Model A Rat Rod kit, and.... A very cool idea indeed!

Edited by Bernard Kron

The special effects photography is superb. I kept checking to make sure I could either find details that said the car was in fact a 1:1 (which would in itself have been remarkable) or for edges or color inconsistencies in the composite picture than gave it away. I came up dry. I would point out the shadow across the roof and the de-saturated red on the brake drums, upholstery, frame, etc. as evidence of the care with which it was put together. Bravo! And Bravo! on a very cool model, too!

Thanks, I think. Your criticism, though positive, is spooky on. Your observation of the brake drum is exact. I'm a graphic artist by trade and that brake drum is as good as I get, but I never expect someone else to appreciate, let alone know, the specific nuances of this stuff. And that includes others in the profession.

Again, thank you, but I'm now a little more intimidated on showing my work ...

but I will anyway :-)

Fantastic!

The -shop'd pic is amazing. Very nicely done. I kept bouncing back and forth between the car shopped into the scene or the daughter shopped into a diorama. Most excellent. I love the attention to detail with the shadows and such . . . especially the exhaust and radius rods. That's where I made my decision: the shadow for the exhaust collector is just a mite too narrow to be real. In my mind's eye, of course.