Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roadkill's '68 Dodge Charger "General Mayhem"

JTalmage

Since I finished w/ the '55 Chevy barn find gasser, I decided I was past due to get back on this.

I scratchbuilt the "bare" door panel for the one side before I put it away, and had yet to do the rear one, and the other side. So for some reason I just felt intimidated by it, and when I would work on the car, I found I always had a stopping point because there was nothing left to do before weathering/rusting the parts.... except build my bare door panels. I dont know why I avoided it for so long, but I forced myself to finish them yesterday. I sort of rushed them because my hands were hurting and I had a headache but the end result was pretty pleasing. I dont think I'm done w/ them just yet 100% but they're really close.

20140810_180539_zpsywlse8m3.jpg

20140810_211359_zpsg8fskdnl.jpg

20140810_211340_zps63vxqpgw.jpg

Sorry about the blurry last pic, I could NOT get my camera to focus.

Also the car is a flatter/matter color, the hood was reshot to a darker blue as well. I still have lots of weathering to do to the body/chassis/interior but once that is done, this build should go quick.

I also worked on the stance a little, and found the proper wheel/tire combo that suites the car. The tires are from the classic Revell '32 Ford 3W kit, and the wheels are from the '69 Dodge Daytona 2n1 that came out many years ago that had the nascar-like parts. The wheel backs for the front were shaved down to fit in the narrower tire to be used w/ the narrower wheelback, and the rears were shaved down ever so slightly, barely noticeable. I also cut out the "dust cap" on the rear wheels... since there is no spindle/hub bearings on rear axles.

20140809_221516_zpsm401wvch.jpg

20140809_221459_zps7qxpsdku.jpg

aaaaand a quick mock up to amuse myself....

20140810_213948_zpsvydfiql3.jpg

20140810_213929_zpsx3zgdx4j.jpg

20140810_213859_zpsgfhbhkwp.jpg

20140810_213920_zpsjndxfv5p.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

The mesh is the best I could find. Once I weather it to look like rusted steel it wont stick out as bad.

I also pulled the riser blocks off the back last night. I didnt like the tail-high stance it had, because the real car isnt that high in the back.

I think Im going to add a few more details to the door panels. Nothing major just to satisfy myself as far as the look of them go.

Other than that. I'm waiting on parts from another member still, once I have those. I should be able to kick this thing in to high gear.

Got a little more done last night on general mayhem...

painted the chassis, interior tub, axle and leaf springs, firewall, core support, bottom of hood, hood scoop, and grille with the iron surfacer, and then let them dry for a few hours. Went back and covered them all with the rust solution. Bagged em, and will check em tonight when I get home.

20140812_190502_zpswbd4bgwu.jpg

20140812_190520_zpsw3d0btb2.jpg

20140812_190541_zpswf2otxe4.jpg

20140812_191258_zpsz902x4cl.jpg

20140812_212231_zps4fpmsehr.jpg

20140812_212244_zpsvtuixp8p.jpg

20140812_215737_zps1iwsnfmt.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

I got home yesterday and the rust was very dark, and not rusty looking, more of just a brown, and rather wet/glossy looking. I think my solution has gone bad because I've had this problem before. This happens when you let a friend use your model "kit" with all of your paint and tricks, and he uses the same brush without cleaning it first!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm bringing this thread back to life! 

Since it's too cold to paint, I can't really start anything new so I'm finishing up things I've been putting off. This was the perfect candidate. There are a couple small pieces that need painted so I'm hoping to sneak those in soon if the weather is dry and warm enough to get 15 minutes of painting in. 

Anyway here's the latest!

Did a little mock up to amuse myself to see if I could still remember how it went together! LOL

I needed to make a driveshaft for it because the Mr. Norm's engine/trans seemed to be a touch shorter. 

I also cut the dash out to resemble the 1:1 car. It had no gauge cluster nor ash tray door. I have a photoetched switch panel from the "NASCAR" version of the Pro-Modeler 69 Daytona which I will be using to simulate the switch panel on the real car. 

I also have been playing around with Tamiya weathering powders a lot and so I weathered the door panels with powder and paint. Then I applied some sophisticated finishes for some rust (this was before I threw em in the bag)

very cool ! .. maybe ad a ring to the outside and widen the steelies a bit , like the roadkill charger .. i think with a slightly wider steelie it looks perfect

I would, but they wouldnt fit the tires. And thats about as wide as I can go w/ the stock suspension/stock kit parts

so, are you ready to pull the 440 and drop a helkitty in there?

and whats even cooler, now you get to build a duster to put that 440 in

I do have an AMT '71 Duster waiting in the wings with a resin '70 grille, bench seat, and 727 automatic. Trust me I've already started on it lol

I would, but they wouldnt fit the tires. And thats about as wide as I can go w/ the stock suspension/stock kit parts

I do have an AMT '71 Duster waiting in the wings with a resin '70 grille, bench seat, and 727 automatic. Trust me I've already started on it lol

those are all the parts I have lined up to build a model of ginger, only she is running a 408 LA now