Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevrolet Impala.

om617

As usual i have projects that are going really slow,mostly because of bad planning,ideas that pop up,and the typical

having to wait for parts. This one should go okay since i have most of the stuff i will be using. I wanted it to be an

soft custom/street machine. I want to keep most visual things stock,but i have sanded down a couple of things on

body,top front fenders,and the chrome detail on lower rear panels. The paint is Tamiya white pearl,hard to see the

pearl effect on these pics,also need a polish. The BMF is not finish.

004-5.jpg

005-2.jpg

The powerplant will be an 572cid chevy from VCG with an manual trans. I have modify an intake from the parts box

to fit itb fuel injection from model meister. Would want to fit an electric fan in front of the radiator,this or i will cut out

the original radiator and fit the radiator from an Dodge Viper i have some parts from.

003-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

006.jpg

I hope to get this done before 2038 -_- Thanks for looking,and any comments are welcome.

That looks great. On the fan, if there is room to mount it between the radiator and the water pump it would be the preferred mounting point on a 1:1 car with a shroud. If it's mounted in the intake side of the radiator it would block air flow. I've not seen any 1/25th scale antifreeze on the work bench yet, but you never know.

Parts look so much better with primer but it`s to cold right now to paint. Here is the mock up for cooling. Thanks David for advice on the fan.

Is this kit really old? It has incredible amount of flash,but easy to get off. There is a lot of cool custom parts in this kit.

I see now that i need an electric waterpump. Maby try make the one that is there to look like an electric pump.

002-1.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

Little update. I tried to give the car air condition and power steering,also alternator is mocked up. Engine need paint,also need to

mount the fuelrails and and hoses etc. Not sure about color for the engine,but maby red,i also think red will be the choice for the

inside. The cooling package is not decent mounted ,neither is the water pump and distributor on the picture,just mock up.

Some pics.

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

Attempt at foil is done for the body. I forget to breath when i cut so i think i`m going to die if had more lol

Edited by om617

Is there any awards for being an moron? If so i think would qualify as for today. Planned an cosy day with mounting molding and some other things on the body. Then it hit me,i could not find the molding for the bonnet. I looked

on the parts three at least 7 times. Did i really have to get up and go to the kitchen and look thru the trash bag. I did,

i looked thru everything,twice. I crawled on the floor,went thru the trash,and i thought,do i really have to go and buy

an entire new kit just for this. So as i searched ebay i took one last glance on the parts three,well there it is,not very

obvious molded but there. So lession today for me was to be careful when cutting parts off the the parts three so i

dont cut numbers,as i did here.

So there is 5 hours of my life i never get back :D

Edited by om617

No problem and thanks. I been staring at it for an hour now and come to the conclusion it need to be a little smaller.

I noticed this car dont have an brake booster,did these models not come with power brakes? It will be needing one

now that there will be huge disk brakes up front. Also have to figure out the heater package since this car will have

air-condition. I cut the core out of one parts firewall, and i`ll see if i might be able to fit with the original package.

Nice source,thanks. Even said there was option as air suspension and fuel injection.

Test fitted brakes and wheels today,brakes are Brembo and wheels OZ Futura. Also got exhaust test fitted together.

The front section with mufflers are from 62 Impala,the following backwards are the original. I think i`ll just keep it like

this and maby try add some nice tips. Not decided if i should end it right behind the rear wheels or go straight back.

Will try to get more pics when brakes are mounted,also the heater/Ac package,i did not want to now since the paint

is not 100% dry. Well,this is really fun and sorry if i annoy with all the pics lol

012.jpg

007.jpg

I cannot stress enough how there is no such thing as too much pictures! In my opinion so many people don't post nearly enough pictures! This is a fantastic looking Impala thus far. I usually don't care at all for custom wheels, but actually like those quite a bit. Also, excellent paint job, foiling, and engine bay (in other words, everything). If you have access to the Revell version of this, it has really nice metal exhaust tips, which I used on mine.

tommy, i finally remembered where that engine i did with the electric fuel pump is...........i actually gave it away to a friend for a project he had going on, the engine was a perfect fit for him, and his build......sorry about that.

cheers

bryan